Siamese cockerels are silk-clad fighters
The betta fish or cockerel (lat. Betta splendens) is unpretentious, handsome, but can slaughter the female and other males. It is a typical labyrinth fish, that is, it can breathe atmospheric oxygen. It was the aquarium cockerel, and even his relative, the macropod, that were among the first aquarium fish that were brought to Europe from Asia. But long before that moment, the fighting fish were already bred in Thailand and Malaysia.
Fish gained popularity for its luxurious appearance, interesting behavior and ability to live in small aquariums. And he is easily divorced and just as easily crossed, as a result - a lot of color variations, different in everything, from the color to the shape of the fins.
The wild form of the rooster does not shine with beauty - greenish or brown, with an oblong body and short fins. He received the name of the fighting fish for the fact that the males arrange furious fights with each other, which often end with the death of one of the opponents. Wild form and to this day used in Thailand for fighting, although not already leading up to the complete destruction of one of the fish. Despite the fact that the fish are fierce fighters, they have a peculiar behavior in a fight. If one of the males rises after the air during the battle, the second one will not touch it, but wait patiently until it returns. Also, if two males fight, the third does not interfere with them, but waits in the wings.
But those cockerels, which you will find on sale, are far from such fighting fish as their relatives. No, their character has not changed, they will also fight. The very concept of this fish has changed, because the current breeds must bear beauty, they have gorgeous fins, so long that they are damaged even by plants, not to mention fighting. They are kept for beauty, gorgeous colors and equally gorgeous fins, and not for fighting qualities.
With the right neighbors, they are pretty livable. But during spawning, the male is extremely aggressive, and will attack any fish. Especially fish like him (even his female) or brightly colored. Because of this, they usually keep one for an aquarium, or they pick up fish for him that he cannot offend. A male can be kept with a female, provided that the aquarium is large enough and the female has room to hide.
Attention! The cockerel is just great for beginners and those aquarists who can not afford a large aquarium. He needs the very minimum both in volume and in nutrition. And he is unpretentious, strong, always on sale. Due to its labyrinth apparatus, it can survive in poor water for oxygen, and in very small aquariums.
Habitat in nature
For the first time betta, was described in 1910. It lives in Southeast Asia, in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. It is believed that his homeland is Thailand, but with its popularity, it is difficult to say for sure whether this is so. The name "Betta" received from the Javanese "Wuder Bettah". Now in Asia, it is often called "pla-kad", which means biting fish. Interestingly, in Thailand they call "pla kat Khmer" which can be translated as a biting fish from the Khmer land.
B. splendens is one of the more than 70 species described in the genus Betta, and there are 6 or more species of fish that are not systematized. The genus can be divided into two groups, one bears a fry in the mouth, the second grows in a nest of foam.
Betta lives in stagnant or slow-flowing waters, with dense vegetation. He lives in canals, ponds, in rice fields, as well as in medium and large rivers. It refers to the labyrinth, fish that can breathe atmospheric oxygen, which allows them to survive in very harsh conditions.
In nature, the wild is not too beautiful - a long body, with short round fins, brown or greenish body color. But now, it is a collectible and the color as the shape of the fins has such a variety that it is simply impossible to describe it.
Betta fish grows 6-7 cm in length. How many lives aquarium cock? Not very long, usually 2 or 3 years with good care.
Difficulty in content
Fish that is well suited for beginners. It can be kept in very small aquariums, and in different conditions. Unpretentious in food, they will eat almost all available feed. As a rule, they are sold as a fish suitable for a general aquarium, but remember that males fight strongly with each other, beat females and in general can be aggressive during spawning. But he can be kept alone, in a very small aquarium, and he will take it very well.The exhibition of cockerels in the United States:
Although fish and omnivores in nature, they even eat some algae, the basis of their food is insects. In natural waters, they feed on insect larvae, zooplankton, aquatic insects. All kinds of live, frozen, artificial food are eaten in an aquarium. There should be no problem with a cockerel. The only thing you try to diversify it is to alternate the types of feed in order to maintain health and color at a high level.
Maintenance and care
If you have been to the market, you probably have seen how these fish are often sold in tiny banks. On the one hand, it speaks about unpretentiousness in maintenance and care, but on the other hand it is a bad example. On how to choose the right aquarium for the cock you can read the link, there is nothing complicated there. It dwells in all layers of water, but prefers the upper ones. It is very simple to keep it, for one fish, 15-20 liters will be enough, although this is a minimal amount, it still needs care. You should not keep it in a round aquarium, although it is a popular phenomenon. It is better to have a rooster in an aquarium of 30 liters, with a heater and always covered, as they can jump out.
If you do not contain one, but other fish, you need an even more spacious aquarium, with shelters for the female, preferably with dimmed light and floating plants. From regular care, it is imperative to change the water, about 25% of the volume per week, since the accumulated decay products will primarily affect the state of the fins. As for the filter, it does not hurt, but oxygen (aeration) is not needed, it breathes from the surface of the water.
As for water parameters, they can be very different, only temperature is crucial, since it is a tropical species. In general, it is recommended: temperature 24-29C, ph: 6.0-8.0, 5 - 35 dGH.
Who do cockerels get along with? In general, it is well suited for keeping with many fish. Definitely it does not need to be kept with fish who like to tear off fins, for example with dwarf tetradons. However, he himself can do the same, so that it should not be kept with voile species. They themselves sometimes attack other fish, but this is a mistake in identification, apparently taking them from their relatives.Attention! What exactly you should not do is to put two males in one aquarium, as they will definitely fight. Females are less aggressive, although they have a strict hierarchy. One male can be kept with several females, provided that there are enough shelters in the aquarium for the latter. Good neighbors are speckled catfish, cardinals, akantoftalmusy, viviparous.
It is very simple to distinguish a male from a female in males. The male is larger, brighter colored, it has large fins. The females are paler, smaller, the fins are small, and the belly is noticeably rounder. In addition, she keeps modestly, trying to keep secluded corners, and not to catch the eye of the male.
There is foam in the cockpit aquarium? Like most labyrinths, it builds a nest of foam. Reproduction is simple, though problematic because of the temperament of the male and the pain of the young. The fact is that the male can kill the female to death, if it is not set in time. And in order to successfully raise the fry, you need to prepare.
The selected pair of males, it is necessary before breeding to feed abundantly with live food, it is desirable to plant them separately. The female ready for spawning is considerably fattening due to the caviar formed.
The finished pair is deposited in the spawn, in which the water level is not more than 15 cm. On the Internet there are tips that will suit the aquarium and 10 liters in volume, but calculate how much to turn out if you reduce the level to 10-15 cm? Pick up the volume based on your capabilities, in any case, it will not be superfluous, since the male will beat the female, and she needs to hide somewhere.
The temperature of the water is raised to 26-28 ° C, after which it proceeds to build a nest and beat the female. In order not to kill her, you need to add thick plants to the spawn, for example, Javanese moss (10 liters is enough, remember?). On the surface of the water to put floating plants, riccia or duckweed.Detailed spawning of a pair of white cockerels:
As soon as the nest is ready, the male will begin to call the female to him. The finished female will fold her fins and show resignation, unprepared will flee. Make sure that the male does not score the female! The male embraces the female with his body, squeezing caviar out of it and releasing milk. In one go, the female lays about 40 ka eggs. On the whole, about 200 eggs are produced during spawning. Basically, the caviar sinks and the male picks it up and folds it into the nest. The female can also help him, but more often she just eats caviar. After spawning, it is better to deposit it immediately.
Caviar is peeking in 24-36 hours. The larva stays in the nest for another 2 or 3 days, until it fully masters its yolk sac and begins to swim. As soon as he swims, it is better to mate the male, as he can eat the fry. The water level must also be lowered, to 5-7 cm, and to include minimal aeration. This is done until the fry have formed a labyrinth apparatus, and it does not begin to swallow air from the surface. After that, the water level gradually increase. This happens after about 4-6 weeks.
Fry need to be fed infusoria, microhard, egg yolk. As they grow, naupilii of artemia and shredded strawberry are added.
The fledger cock grows unevenly and needs to be sorted in order to avoid cannibalism, and in the future also fights.
Detailed article in English: Betta fish or fighting fish
Royal cockerel and other types of fighting fish
The cockerel fish, the Siamese cockerel, or the fighting fish (lat. Betta splendens) is a member of the Macropod family, a suborder Labyrinth. Cockerel fishes are found in freshwater bodies with stagnant water in Southeast Asia. In our time, the breeding forms of cockerels often become participants in international exhibitions.
For the first time, they found out about the cockerel fish in the 19th century, when the people of Siam found her in a rice ditch. Noticing the aggressive nature of their relatives, the people handed the fish to the local ruler. European naturalists who visited Siam, explored its features. Later with her participation organized "cock" fights, for which the fish and nicknamed "fight". Cockerels were brought to Europe in 1892. In the early twentieth century, American breeders began to develop new species of Betta splendens, which were distinguished by fins of unusual symmetry and rich colors of scales.
The aquarium cockerel Betta splendens has an elongated, oval-shaped body, flattened on the sides. The body size of the male is 6 cm, females - 4 cm in length. In most species, the color of the scales of males is brighter than that of females, the fins of males are lush and long, in females they are not so prominent. Today, in addition to natural species, there are a number of other species and breeds that were artificially bred. Aquarium betta cockerels differ in a variety of forms: red fighting fish, yellow cockerels, blue, green, pink, white, multi-colored. In the light, the body of the fish flickers with different colors. During the spawning period, males become very lush and bright, demonstrating their superiority over competitors. Even the female can differ in long fins, and engage in fights.
Betta fish, or betta cockerel got its name due to its character. The males are often kept alone: so that they do not get bored, they attach a mirror to the wall of the tank. When settling in a common aquarium, the cockerel fish enters into fights with representatives of its own species, or other neighbors. In the excited state, the female and male bulging fins and gill covers, gaining a formidable look.
The dorsal and caudal fins of the rooster are rounded, the ventral fin originates from the head or mid-belly, and ends at the very base of the caudal fin. Scales in fish of a cycloid structure, well adjacent to the skin. As a labyrinth species, the cockerel fish is a two-breathing hydrobiont, thanks to the labyrinth channel, captures the atmospheric air, dissolving it in this organ. Also breathes with gills.
On the varieties of these fish in the form of the tail fin and coloring
Fighting cockerels (Betta splendens) are varieties of Betta. Selection forms "betta" and Betta splendens are completely different forms. Bettam include: Cockerel (Betta splendens), Betta unimaculata, Betta imbellis ladiges (dwarf, or black cockerel), Betta picta, Betta smaragdins ladiges, Betta taeniata Regan. Now we will talk about the forms of the caudal fin and differences.
- Crescent-shaped tail (Half moon) occurs in males with long and symmetrical fins. The tail is long, the correct form. When excited, the extreme rays expand at an angle of 90 °, the tail forms a semblance of the Latin letter D.
Admire the Halfmoon Betta.
- Rose tails are similar to the previous species, but their tail beams form weaves that never stretch. The "wrinkled" edges of the tail resemble rose petals.
- Super delta (Super delta) is a transitional form between the "delta" and "crescent". The edges of the tail are located to the axis of the body at an angle of 130-180o.
- The corona-tailed form (Crowntail) - the tail has many branched rays, the tail has a tooth often shaped like a crown.
- Veil tail form (Veil tail) - long fins that fall down. From the outside, it seems that they “weight down” the body of the fish.
- Double tail shape, or "delta" - the extreme rays of the tail have a D-shaped outline, the tail fin is not flattened, forms a right angle.
- Round tail - found in wild species, all fins are short, dense.
- The shape of the "brush" (Spade tail) - the tail has a pointed symmetry, the fin rays form a "corolla" pattern.
- Short-tail form (Plakad) - the tail resembles an open fan, its rays stand out well, resembling veinlets.
- The shape of the "flag" when the tail is close to a triangular shape, but well assembled.
According to body color, fighting fish are divided into: monochrome, bicolor, multicolor, marble, "dragon", "butterflies", etc.
Popular aquarium representatives
- The Cockerel fish (Betta splendens) is endemic to Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand). The body of the fish is narrow, elongated, rounded in cross section. In the natural environment it feeds on insects, which are easily captured by the upper mouth. Betta vulgaris occurs with long and short fins. The wild fighting fish has scales of a dark brown shade on which green spots meet. The method of selection brought out the forms of Betta ordinary with veil fins and different color scales. The wild-looking fins play with different colors, shimmer in the world. The body length of an adult individual is 5-6 cm. Life expectancy is 3 years. The female is slightly paler in color, during spawning, she has a clearly visible umbilical cord, from which the ovipositor will emerge. All types of Betta ordinary sleep at the bottom of the aquarium with open eyes.
- The black cock is not warlike, the black betta, the pygmy cock (Betta imbellis) is very beautiful, popular due to its interesting color and peaceful behavior. Often it is bred and sold in Thailand and Malaysia. The size of an adult individual is 5-6 cm in length. Fish carnivorous, eats daphnia, larvae of flies and mosquito. Prefers subacidic water, temperature 24-28 degrees Celsius. Body color can be blue, black and red. The tail fin is round or "delta", has red, blue stripes. The color of the scales is black with blue splashes. Peaceful fish was nicknamed because it can be kept in one tank in a company of 2 males and 2-4 females. When establishing a hierarchy, the males will not fight, so this pet can be chosen by a novice aquarist.
Look at a pair of betta imbellis.
- Crown tail Betta is a breeding form of Betta splendens Cockerel. The fish is immediately noticeable in the aquarium due to the rich bright color of the scales. Swims beautifully, mannered. The shape of the tail fin belongs to the crown-tailed species. The body is painted in red pigment, so for feeding the fish should be given food with carotenoids. Character, like many cockerels, fighting - you can settle without neighbors.
- The Blue Siamese Cockerel is another form of Betta. The blue-colored cockerel is the favorite of newcomers to aquarism. The blue cockerel has a void-shaped fin, long, falling down. The body is completely blue except for the ventral fins (they are red) and the head, which is distinguished by a dark color. The fish is mannered, very beautiful, but it cannot be settled with its neighbors, who are not opposed to seize its magnificent finch.
- The Green Cock, or Smaragda Betta, is a wild fish found in freshwater Asian waters. In the Betta smaragdina fish, the body has a slender, elongated symmetry, flattened on the sides. The color of the body is olive-green, there may be blueblue spots on the scales, which shimmer in the world. Gill covers and head painted dark. All fins can shine in different colors, or be painted in green, blue or red. Only the ventral fins are distinguished by a pure red tint. The dorsal fin is characterized by the presence of dark stripes.Genital differences are noticeable: the male has a larger fin size, the females on the dorsal fin have black lines. The body size of adults is 5.5–7 cm in length.
Cockerel Fish: Care and Maintenance
Cockerels are unusual, incredibly bright and exotic fish. Aquarists love them not only for their beautiful appearance, but also for their fighting character. However, in order for these fish to please their owners for a long time, they need special care. This article contains information regarding the characteristics of the content and breeding of males in an aquarium.
The south-east of Asia is considered the birthplace of the cockerel fish. Its main habitats are warm, fresh, slow-flowing or standing bodies of water in Thailand, Vietnam, the Malay Peninsula and the islands of Indonesia.
The first mention of this unusual fish found in history in the 1800s. At that time, the people of Siam (now it is Thailand) noticed the increased aggressiveness of the males of this fish towards each other and started breeding a special breed for fighting money rates.
Cockerels were imported to Europe in 1892. The first countries to see the miracle fish were France and Germany. In the US, they came in 1910, where Frank Locke brought a new color version of cockerels. In Russia, the history of their appearance is associated with the names of V.M. Desnitsky and V.S. Melnikova and attributed to 1896.
Description and variations
The cockerelfish (betta fish, Siamese cockerel, Betta splendens) is a species of fish that belong to the macropode family. This is a labyrinth fish that also uses atmospheric air for breathing.
The shape of the body of males is oval, it is flattened laterally and extended in length. The size of the fish is mostly small: males are about 5 cm, and females are 4 cm. However, there are individuals that can reach 10 cm in length. The tail and upper fins have a rounded shape, pectoral ones - pointed. The fins of males are longer than those of females.
The males have a very interesting and varied color. They are one-, two- or multi-colored. All colors of the rainbow can be present in the coloring, as well as their shades. Males are colored brighter than females.The brightness of the color is affected not only by the lighting, but also by the condition of the fish: during spawning or clashes with their own kind, male males become most vivid.
The life of betta fish is approximately three years.
To date, breeders bred about 70 species of cockerels. All of them with a bright unusual color. There are several classifications of species.
Depending on the shape of the fins and size:
- veil tail;
- crescent moontail;
- delta tail;
Depending on the color:
How to equip an aquarium?
The cockerel fishes are considered unpretentious and easy to care for; however, some conditions should be met.
Males can be kept in small (10-15 liters), and in large aquariums. On one individual requires 3-4 liters of water. If the aquarium is large, then it can be divided into several parts by partitions. In this case, several males can be kept in one tank at the same time without damage to their health.
Partitions are made of transparent non-toxic material with small holes for water circulation. Next to them, it is better to plant high plants in order to block fish from viewing and reduce undesirable meetings.The males are able to jump quite high out of the water, so the top of the aquarium is equipped with a net or cover with holes for the passage of air.
The optimum water temperature is 24-28 ° C, however, the rooster is fairly well tolerated to lower it to 18 ° C. It should be remembered that a long stay in a too cold aquarium is fraught with diseases. The control is carried out by means of a thermometer.
The quality and composition of the water cockerel undemanding. Nevertheless, it is better to adhere to such a framework: hardness 4-15, acidity 6.0-7.5.
For the prevention of disease and stress reduction, it is recommended to use a special salt (half a teaspoon per three liters of water).
A prerequisite is regular water changes. In large aquariums it is held once every two weeks, and in small - once every three days. From the bottom it is necessary to remove all remnants of food.
The cockerel is a labyrinth fish, that is, it breathes not only by the gills, but also by an additional special organ. In it, the blood is saturated with air, which the fish seizes with its mouth. Therefore, aeration for cockerels is not very important, but it is desirable to install a filter. It may be of small capacity, as these fish do not like a strong current.
It is also important that the surface of the water is not completely overgrown with plants, so that the cockerel can rise to the surface and capture the air. Sometimes it happens that a bacterial film forms on the surface of the water. It must be removed. This can be done with a sheet of paper, putting it to the surface of the water, and then removing it with the film.
For cockerels, river sand or gravel is fine. You can also use purchased painted soil. Before being placed in an aquarium, it must be ignited or rinsed under hot water.
In the aquarium with cockerels you can use both artificial and live plants.
When choosing artificial algae special attention should be paid to the absence of pointed edges, about which the roosters can damage their fins. The best option is silk plants.
However, living algae is still better, since they contribute to the preservation of biological balance in the aquarium. They must occupy at least a third of the space. It is necessary to take care of live plants - to thin out in time, remove rotten leaves. Put them in the ground or in special pots.
Scenery and lighting
Males love to swim between various obstacles, so it is appropriate to have shelters of stones, snags, grottoes, etc. The main thing is that all the decorations are without sharp edges and are environmentally safe.
Do not install the aquarium in direct sunlight.
Males in food are picky and almost omnivorous. For them you can use live, dry and frozen food. Nevertheless, a large part of the diet should be a live feed (bloodworm, tube maker, daphnia, Cyclops, etc.). The cockerels will not refuse from rain or flatworms, snails or zooplankton.
Feed the fish 1-2 times a day. Food at one time give exactly enough to fish ate it completely in 15 minutes. Leftovers must be removed immediately. Overfeeding is not recommended, as this can lead to fish obesity. Well, once a week to arrange a fasting day.
The cockerels get along badly even with their own kind. Males constantly divide either territory or female. Therefore, in a small aquarium it is better to keep only a pair of males or a male with two females. You can read about how to settle several males at the same time in one aquarium in the article “How to equip an aquarium?”.Males of cockerel fish are absolutely incompatible with all kinds of peaceful fish, especially those with long tails and fins (for example, guppies). Females are more peaceful.
All fish can be divided into several groups of liveability with cockerels:
- Swordsmen, petilia, black mollies, soma brocade and speckled, terntions, rasbora, ghouls nagging, minors and so on get along well;
- there may be fights with tearing off of tails, if it is neons, guppies, cardinals, barbs, gourami spotted, marble and pearl, labo, etc .;
- Astronotuses, piranhas, parrots, lineatuses, tetraodons, akaras, etc. do not get along at all.
In the cockerel fish, it is quite easy to distinguish the female and the male. The male is slender, has a bright color and long fins. The female is smaller in size, its fins are short, on the abdomen near the tail there is a small white grain, which appears at the age of 3 months. For breeding is better to take a pair at the age of 6-8 months.
Despite the fact that spawning can occur in the general aquarium, it is still better to fish the fish. A pair of aquarium should have a length of at least 15 cm, volume 4-5 liters. They equip it like this: the ground is not laid, a dimmed lighting is installed, a couple of plants with small leaves are placed, water is poured to the level of 10-15 cm (after the mating of the male is reduced to 5 cm), aeration is established. Water temperature should be about 28-30 ° C. Water in advance to defend 3-4 days. It is recommended to establish a shelter (cave) for the female, since the male can be very aggressive during this period.
The first to spawn placed male. There he builds a nest of air bubbles, sealed with his saliva, and small floating plants. After the female begins to spawn, he collects the eggs in his mouth and puts them into the nest. Then the female chases away and takes care of the offspring himself. For better development of caviar, you can add boiled water of the same temperature. After the appearance of the fry, the male is also removed.
Feed the fry finely chopped pipemaker and artemia. Dry flakes are undesirable, as they slow down the development. At three weeks of age, the fry are sorted to avoid eating large small ones. The labyrinth organ in fish is finally formed at the age of one month. Then you can remove aeration. And as soon as the fish begin to show aggression towards their neighbors, they are deposited and begin to contain as adult males.
One of the most common diseases among cockerels is fin rot. It is caused by a specific bacterium that enters the aquarium with poorly treated soil, live food or sick fish. In this disease, the tail and fins descend and become scorched around the edges. If untreated and the disease progresses, the fish may lose its tail and fins.
Other very common ailments of males are dropsy, fungal skin lesions, odinosis, ichthyophthyriosis.
- In South Asia, cockerels were used to fight money stakes. Fights to the death of the fish, as a rule, did not lead, the case ended in shabby tails. Now such battles are prohibited.
- The male rooster can fight to the point of exhaustion, even with its reflection in the mirror.
- These fish are endowed with two respiratory systems: gills and a labyrinth organ.
- Males are very interesting to show sympathy for the opposite sex: the female "fidgets" back and forth, and the male bulges gills and fins and wriggles with her whole body.
Do not too often iron the cockerels (although they allow), as some owners do. Scale on top has a protective layer of mucus. If this film is inadvertently damaged, then the fish will become very vulnerable to various diseases.
Sometimes males can go to the bottom of the aquarium. If this does not last long, then do not worry - they are so relaxed. Anxiety should be beaten if such behavior is observed for a long time. Then you need to consult a specialist and check the health of the fish.
If the fish are sick, then for their treatment there are special medicines (against fungi or parasites, antibiotics). They are best ordered at a pet store in advance.
We hope that this article was useful for those who plan to settle the fish-cockerel in their aquarium. Let the pet feel comfortable and for a long time happy with its beauty!
And according to the tradition, the video, which deals with the rules of care and maintenance of the Siamese Cockerel:
How to distinguish the male cockerel from the female :: how to distinguish the cockerel fish of a boy from a girl :: Animals :: Other
How to distinguish male cockerel from female
The newly emerged chickens in the chicken must be divided into males and hens. Keep them separate, as the mode and quality of feeding for them will be different. Chickens will be left to carry eggs, and males will be kept to get light lean meat.
The question "Why are cats not a commodity when there are already reviews about them?" - 1 reply
1. Young animals are very difficult to distinguish by gender. Weigh the chicken. The cock should weigh a couple grams more. They also look larger. In daily chickens, the head is smaller than that of the cockerels, the comb is smaller. In males the legs are strong and thicker, the beak is bent more strongly.
2. Raise the chicken by the feet. The cock immediately hangs without moving, the hen tries to assume a normal position, flapping his wings and twisting his head. Grab the young by the scruff of the neck. Have cockerel legs hang straight, the hen presses them under.
3. Gently take the fingers of the chicken beak. The cockerel will try to wrest it from your hands.
4. Look at the plumage. The hen feathers faster than the rooster, and his feathers are with some brilliance. Have cockerel on the tail, feathers protrude upwards; in the hen, the feather on the tail is pointed. The wings of matured chickens are covered with even feathers, in males they are of different lengths.
5. Evaluate the color of the chicks. Modern poultry farmers remove chickens and roosters of a certain color. Each breed has its own coloring males and females. Separate them immediately.
6. Look at the tail of the chickens. After a couple of weeks, it develops in chickens, in roosters later. Have cockerel on the tail, feathers stick upward; in the hen the feather is pointed.
7. Compare the body of the young. The chicken has a shorter neck than a rooster. On paws cockerel visible tubercle developing spurs.
8. Watch for chickens at the age of one month when external sexual signs appear. Have cockerel the red beard and the large scallop are already visible, the legs become longer and thicker than those of the hens, and spurs appear on them.
9. Look at the behavior of the chicks. Males are active, they run and fight a lot with each other. Chickens are shy, sluggishly running, squeaking and often lagging behind their mother-hens.
10. Inspect the chicken genitals. Press down on the stomach, open the cloaca. Have cockerel there will be a knob on the inner wall; the hens do not have it.
How to distinguish male cockerel fish from female?
Males reach up to 5 cm in length (females - about 4). The color is light olive, slightly gray, along or across the body (depending on mood) are darker stripes. Fins short, rounded. Cycloid scales. Numerous color and veil variations have gained wide popularity in aquarium fish farming.
Looks like a macropod. However, the brightness and beauty of color they have no equal. Red, blue, yellow, green, pink colors, with every turn with good lighting, the colors play, taking on different shades. Especially bright males become during spawning or clashes with other males. The females of the fighting fish are colored somewhat paler than the males, and have small fins. Although females with somewhat elongated fins have recently appeared, in color they are not inferior to males. The pronounced dark stripes passing along the body, peculiar to females, are slightly noticeable, while the best specimens are completely absent.
How to distinguish the female cockerel fish from the male if they are still small and the floaters are not defined
Nothing you do not understand the fins and behavior! As many as there are females that easily scare young roosters, there are females in which the plumage is almost no different from the males.
Look at the belly of the fish. All the chickens on the abdomen are something like a navel. Like a white grain. Here it is and see. Here is a photo for those who want to figure it out. Once you see you will never confuse the female and the male.
Here is another shot of a 100% female. Clearly visible white grain on the abdomen, the males never have this. Here you can see that the shape of the body is different and the fins too.
Of course in the photo female. Females are usually less colorful, they can also be aggressive (like males), but their fins are already different from one month of age. I had a female cock, so she guessed all the guts.