Cockerel Fish: Care and Maintenance
Cockerels are unusual, incredibly bright and exotic fish. Aquarists love them not only for their beautiful appearance, but also for their fighting character. However, in order for these fish to please their owners for a long time, they need special care. This article contains information regarding the characteristics of the content and breeding of males in an aquarium.
The south-east of Asia is considered the birthplace of the cockerel fish. Its main habitats are warm, fresh, slow-flowing or standing bodies of water in Thailand, Vietnam, the Malay Peninsula and the islands of Indonesia.
The first mention of this unusual fish found in history in the 1800s. At that time, the people of Siam (now it is Thailand) noticed the increased aggressiveness of the males of this fish towards each other and started breeding a special breed for fighting money rates.
Cockerels were imported to Europe in 1892. The first countries to see the miracle fish were France and Germany. In the US, they came in 1910, where Frank Locke brought a new color version of cockerels. In Russia, the history of their appearance is associated with the names of V.M. Desnitsky and V.S. Melnikova and attributed to 1896.
Description and variations
The cockerelfish (betta fish, Siamese cockerel, Betta splendens) is a species of fish that belong to the macropode family. This is a labyrinth fish that also uses atmospheric air for breathing.
The shape of the body of males is oval, it is flattened laterally and extended in length. The size of the fish is mostly small: males are about 5 cm, and females are 4 cm. However, there are individuals that can reach 10 cm in length. The tail and upper fins have a rounded shape, pectoral ones - pointed. The fins of males are longer than those of females.
The males have a very interesting and varied color. They are one-, two- or multi-colored. All colors of the rainbow can be present in the coloring, as well as their shades. Males are colored brighter than females.The brightness of the color is affected not only by the lighting, but also by the condition of the fish: during spawning or clashes with their own kind, male males become most vivid.
The life of betta fish is approximately three years.
To date, breeders bred about 70 species of cockerels. All of them with a bright unusual color. There are several classifications of species.
Depending on the shape of the fins and size:
- voile tail;
- crescent moontail;
- delta tail;
Depending on the color:
How to equip an aquarium?
The cockerel fishes are considered unpretentious and easy to care for; however, some conditions should be met.
Males can be kept in small (10-15 liters), and in large aquariums. On one individual requires 3-4 liters of water. If the aquarium is large, then it can be divided into several parts by partitions. In this case, several males can be kept in one tank at the same time without damage to their health.
Partitions are made of transparent non-toxic material with small holes for water circulation. Next to them, it is better to plant high plants in order to block fish from viewing and reduce undesirable meetings.The males are able to jump quite high out of the water, so the top of the aquarium is equipped with a net or cover with holes for the passage of air.
The optimum water temperature is 24-28 ° C, however, the rooster is fairly well tolerated to lower it to 18 ° C. It should be remembered that a long stay in a too cold aquarium is fraught with diseases. The control is carried out by means of a thermometer.
The quality and composition of the water cockerel undemanding. Nevertheless, it is better to adhere to such a framework: hardness 4-15, acidity 6.0-7.5.
For the prevention of disease and stress reduction, it is recommended to use a special salt (half a teaspoon per three liters of water).
A prerequisite is regular water changes. In large aquariums it is held once every two weeks, and in small - once every three days. From the bottom it is necessary to remove all remnants of food.
The cockerel is a labyrinth fish, that is, it breathes not only by the gills, but also by an additional special organ. In it, the blood is saturated with air, which the fish seizes with its mouth. Therefore, aeration for cockerels is not very important, but it is desirable to install a filter. It may be of small capacity, as these fish do not like a strong current.
It is also important that the surface of the water is not completely overgrown with plants, so that the cockerel can rise to the surface and capture the air. Sometimes it happens that a bacterial film forms on the surface of the water. It must be removed. This can be done with a sheet of paper, putting it to the surface of the water, and then removing it with the film.
For cockerels, river sand or gravel is fine. You can also use purchased painted soil. Before being placed in an aquarium, it must be ignited or rinsed under hot water.
In the aquarium with cockerels you can use both artificial and live plants.
When choosing artificial algae special attention should be paid to the absence of pointed edges, about which the roosters can damage their fins. The best option is silk plants.
However, living algae is still better, since they contribute to the preservation of biological balance in the aquarium. They must occupy at least a third of the space. It is necessary to take care of live plants - to thin out in time, remove rotten leaves. Put them in the ground or in special pots.
Scenery and lighting
Males love to swim between various obstacles, so it is appropriate to have shelters of stones, snags, grottoes, etc. The main thing is that all the decorations are without sharp edges and are environmentally safe.
Do not install the aquarium in direct sunlight.
Males in food are picky and almost omnivorous. For them you can use live, dry and frozen food. Nevertheless, a large part of the diet should be a live feed (bloodworm, tube maker, daphnia, Cyclops, etc.). The cockerels will not refuse from rain or flatworms, snails or zooplankton.
Feed the fish 1-2 times a day. Food at one time give exactly enough to fish ate it completely in 15 minutes. Leftovers must be removed immediately. Overfeeding is not recommended, as this can lead to fish obesity. Well, once a week to arrange a fasting day.
The cockerels get along badly even with their own kind. Males constantly divide either territory or female. Therefore, in a small aquarium it is better to keep only a pair of males or a male with two females. You can read about how to settle several males at the same time in one aquarium in the article “How to equip an aquarium?”.Males of cockerel fish are absolutely incompatible with all kinds of peaceful fish, especially those with long tails and fins (for example, guppies). Females are more peaceful.
All fish can be divided into several groups of liveability with cockerels:
- Swordsmen, petilia, black mollies, soma brocade and speckled, terntions, rasbora, ghouls nagging, minors and so on get along well;
- there may be fights with tearing off of tails, if it is neons, guppies, cardinals, barbs, gourami spotted, marble and pearl, labo, etc .;
- Astronotuses, piranhas, parrots, lineatuses, tetraodons, akaras, etc. do not get along at all.
In the cockerel fish, it is quite easy to distinguish the female and the male. The male is slender, has a bright color and long fins. The female is smaller in size, its fins are short, on the abdomen near the tail there is a small white grain, which appears at the age of 3 months. For breeding is better to take a pair at the age of 6-8 months.
Despite the fact that spawning can occur in the general aquarium, it is still better to fish the fish. A pair of aquarium should have a length of at least 15 cm, volume 4-5 liters. They equip it like this: the ground is not laid, a dimmed lighting is installed, a couple of plants with small leaves are placed, water is poured to the level of 10-15 cm (after the mating of the male is reduced to 5 cm), aeration is established. Water temperature should be about 28-30 ° C. Water in advance to defend 3-4 days. It is recommended to establish a shelter (cave) for the female, since the male can be very aggressive during this period.
The first to spawn put the male. There he builds a nest of air bubbles, sealed with his saliva, and small floating plants. After the female begins to spawn, he collects the eggs in his mouth and puts them into the nest. Then the female chases away and takes care of the offspring himself. For better development of caviar, you can add boiled water of the same temperature. After the appearance of the fry, the male is also removed.
Feed the fry finely chopped pipemaker and artemia. Dry flakes are undesirable, as they slow down the development. At three weeks of age, the fry are sorted to avoid eating large small ones. The labyrinth organ in fish is finally formed at the age of one month. Then you can remove aeration. And as soon as the fish begin to show aggression towards their neighbors, they are deposited and begin to contain as adult males.
One of the most common diseases among cockerels is fin rot. It is caused by a specific bacterium that enters the aquarium with poorly treated soil, live food or sick fish. In this disease, the tail and fins descend and become scorched around the edges. If untreated and the disease progresses, the fish may lose its tail and fins.
Other very common ailments of males are dropsy, fungal skin lesions, odinosis, ichthyophthyriosis.
- In South Asia, cockerels were used to fight money stakes. Fights to the death of the fish, as a rule, did not lead, the case ended in shabby tails. Now such battles are prohibited.
- The male rooster can fight to the point of exhaustion, even with its reflection in the mirror.
- These fish are endowed with two respiratory systems: gills and a labyrinth organ.
- Males are very interesting to show sympathy for the opposite sex: the female "fidgets" back and forth, and the male bulges gills and fins and wriggles with her whole body.
Do not too often iron the cockerels (although they allow), as some owners do. Scale on top has a protective layer of mucus. If this film is inadvertently damaged, then the fish will become very vulnerable to various diseases.
Sometimes males can go to the bottom of the aquarium. If this does not last long, then do not worry - they are so relaxed. Anxiety should be beaten if such behavior is observed for a long time. Then you need to consult a specialist and check the health of the fish.
If the fish are sick, then for their treatment there are special medicines (against fungi or parasites, antibiotics). They are best ordered at the pet store in advance.
We hope that this article was useful for those who plan to settle the fish-cockerel in their aquarium. Let the pet feel comfortable and for a long time happy with its beauty!
And according to the tradition, the video, which deals with the rules of care and maintenance of the Siamese Cockerel:
Siamese cockerels are silk-clad fighters
The betta fish or cockerel (lat. Betta splendens) is unpretentious, handsome, but can slaughter the female and other males. It is a typical labyrinth fish, that is, it can breathe atmospheric oxygen. It was the aquarium cockerel, and even his relative, the macropod, that were among the first aquarium fish that were brought to Europe from Asia. But long before that moment, the fighting fish were already bred in Thailand and Malaysia.
Fish gained popularity for its luxurious appearance, interesting behavior and ability to live in small aquariums. And he is easily divorced and just as easily crossed, as a result - a lot of color variations, different in everything, from the color to the shape of the fins.
The wild form of the rooster does not shine with beauty - greenish or brown, with an oblong body and short fins. He received the name of the fighting fish for the fact that the males arrange furious fights with each other, which often end with the death of one of the opponents. Wild form and to this day used in Thailand for fighting, although not already leading up to the complete destruction of one of the fish. Despite the fact that the fish are fierce fighters, they have a peculiar behavior in a fight. If one of the males rises after the air during the battle, the second one will not touch it, but wait patiently until it returns. Also, if two males fight, the third does not interfere with them, but waits in the wings.
But those cockerels, which you will find on sale, are far from such fighting fish as their relatives. No, their character has not changed, they will also fight. The very concept of this fish has changed, because the current breeds must bear beauty, they have gorgeous fins, so long that they are damaged even by plants, not to mention fighting. They are kept for beauty, gorgeous colors and equally gorgeous fins, and not for fighting qualities.
With the right neighbors, they are pretty livable. But during spawning, the male is extremely aggressive, and will attack any fish. Especially fish like him (even his female) or brightly colored. Because of this, they usually keep one for an aquarium, or they pick up fish for him that he cannot offend. A male can be kept with a female, provided that the aquarium is large enough and the female has room to hide.
Attention! The cockerel is just great for beginners and those aquarists who can not afford a large aquarium. He needs the very minimum both in volume and in nutrition. And he is unpretentious, strong, always on sale. Due to its labyrinth apparatus, it can survive in poor water for oxygen, and in very small aquariums.
Habitat in nature
For the first time betta, was described in 1910. It lives in Southeast Asia, in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam. It is believed that his homeland is Thailand, but with its popularity, it is difficult to say for sure whether this is so. The name "Betta" received from the Javanese "Wuder Bettah". Now in Asia, it is often called "pla-kad", which means biting fish. Interestingly, in Thailand they call "pla kat Khmer" which can be translated as a biting fish from the Khmer land.
B. splendens is one of the more than 70 species described in the genus Betta, and there are 6 or more species of fish that are not systematized. The genus can be divided into two groups, one bears a fry in the mouth, the second grows in a nest of foam.
Betta lives in stagnant or slow-flowing waters, with dense vegetation. He lives in canals, ponds, in rice fields, as well as in medium and large rivers. It refers to the labyrinth, fish that can breathe atmospheric oxygen, which allows them to survive in very harsh conditions.
In nature, the wild is not too beautiful - a long body, with short round fins, brown or greenish body color. But now, it is a collectible and the color as the shape of the fins has such a variety that it is simply impossible to describe it.
Betta fish grows 6-7 cm in length. How many lives aquarium cock? Not very long, usually 2 or 3 years with good care.
Fish that is well suited for beginners. It can be kept in very small aquariums, and in different conditions. Unpretentious in food, they will eat almost all available feed. As a rule, they are sold as a fish suitable for a general aquarium, but remember that males fight strongly with each other, beat females and in general can be aggressive during spawning. But he can be kept alone, in a very small aquarium, and he will take it very well.The exhibition of cockerels in the United States:
Although fish and omnivores in nature, they even eat some algae, the basis of their food is insects. In natural waters, they feed on insect larvae, zooplankton, aquatic insects. All kinds of live, frozen, artificial food are eaten in an aquarium. There should be no problem with a cockerel. The only thing you try to diversify it is to alternate the types of feed in order to maintain health and color at a high level.
Maintenance and care
If you have been to the market, you probably have seen how these fish are often sold in tiny banks. On the one hand, it speaks about unpretentiousness in maintenance and care, but on the other hand it is a bad example. On how to choose the right aquarium for the cock you can read the link, there is nothing complicated there. It dwells in all layers of water, but prefers the upper ones. It is very simple to keep it, for one fish, 15-20 liters will be enough, although this is a minimal amount, it still needs care. You should not keep it in a round aquarium, although it is a popular phenomenon. It is better to have a rooster in an aquarium of 30 liters, with a heater and always covered, as they can jump out.
If you do not contain one, but other fish, you need an even more spacious aquarium, with shelters for the female, preferably with dimmed light and floating plants. From regular care, it is imperative to change the water, about 25% of the volume per week, since the accumulated decay products will primarily affect the state of the fins. As for the filter, it does not hurt, but oxygen (aeration) is not needed, it breathes from the surface of the water.
As for water parameters, they can be very different, only temperature is crucial, since it is a tropical species.In general, it is recommended: temperature 24-29C, ph: 6.0-8.0, 5 - 35 dGH.
Who do cockerels get along with? In general, it is well suited for keeping with many fish. Definitely it does not need to be kept with fish who like to tear off fins, for example with dwarf tetradons. However, he himself can do the same, so that it should not be kept with voile species. They themselves sometimes attack other fish, but this is a mistake in identification, apparently taking them from their relatives.Attention! What exactly you should not do is to put two males in one aquarium, as they will definitely fight. Females are less aggressive, although they have a strict hierarchy. One male can be kept with several females, provided that there are enough shelters in the aquarium for the latter. Good neighbors are speckled catfish, cardinals, akantoftalmusy, viviparous.
It is very simple to distinguish a male from a female in males. The male is larger, brighter colored, it has large fins. The females are paler, smaller, the fins are small, and the belly is noticeably rounder. In addition, she keeps modestly, trying to keep secluded corners, and not to catch the eye of the male.
There is foam in the cockpit aquarium? Like most labyrinths, it builds a nest of foam. Reproduction is simple, though problematic because of the temperament of the male and the pain of the young. The fact is that the male can kill the female to death, if it is not set in time. And in order to successfully raise the fry, you need to prepare.
The selected pair of males, it is necessary before breeding to feed abundantly with live food, it is desirable to plant them separately. The female ready for spawning is considerably fattening due to the caviar formed.
The finished pair is deposited in the spawn, in which the water level is not more than 15 cm. On the Internet there are tips that will suit the aquarium and 10 liters in volume, but count how much it will turn out if you reduce the level to 10-15 cm? Pick up the volume based on your capabilities, in any case, it will not be superfluous, since the male will beat the female, and she needs to hide somewhere.
The temperature of the water is raised to 26-28 ° C, after which it proceeds to build a nest and beat the female. In order not to kill her, you need to add thick plants to the spawn, for example, Javanese moss (10 liters is enough, remember?). On the surface of the water to put floating plants, riccia or duckweed.Detailed spawning of a pair of white cockerels:
As soon as the nest is ready, the male will begin to call the female to him. The finished female will fold her fins and show resignation, unprepared will flee. Make sure that the male does not score the female! The male embraces the female with his body, squeezing caviar out of it and releasing milk. In one go, the female lays about 40 ka eggs. On the whole, about 200 eggs are produced during spawning. Basically, the caviar sinks and the male picks it up and folds it into the nest. The female can also help him, but more often she just eats caviar. After spawning, it is better to deposit it immediately.
Caviar is peeking in 24-36 hours. The larva stays in the nest for another 2 or 3 days, until it fully masters its yolk sac and begins to swim. As soon as he swims, it is better to mate the male, as he can eat the fry. The water level must also be lowered, to 5-7 cm, and to include minimal aeration. This is done until the fry have formed a labyrinth apparatus, and it does not begin to swallow air from the surface. After that, the water level gradually increase. This happens after about 4-6 weeks.
Fry need to be fed infusoria, microhard, egg yolk. As they grow, naupilii of artemia and shredded strawberry are added.
The fledger cock grows unevenly and needs to be sorted in order to avoid cannibalism, and in the future also fights.
Detailed article in English: Betta fish or fighting fish
Cockerel fish: capricious and beautiful inhabitant of your aquarium
The cock aquarium fish (otherwise it is called the Siamese cockerel or the fighting fish) is a representative of the most beautiful aquarium inhabitants. Male and female are easy to distinguish: as a rule, males are painted more intensely and brightly. Aquarists do not cease to admire the fish, their appearance, cool temper, care for the offspring. How many live cockerel fish? Their life expectancy is from 1 to 3 years. Of course, an important role is played by feeding, housing conditions, compatibility with other fish. This is proposed to talk. We will also affect the breeding of cockerels.
Conditions of detention
So, in more detail about how to create the most favorable conditions for the maintenance of the lives of males, or how to care for them:
- the water temperature should be maintained at a level of 24-28 degrees, however if it drops to 18 degrees, the fish will still be able to survive and even develop;
- the acidity of the water should not be more than 7.5;
- water hardness should not exceed 15 degrees.
If we talk about the enrichment of water with oxygen, then the fish has gill breathing and a special respiratory organ, which is called a labyrinth. Thanks to the maze, aquarium cockerels can swallow water with atmospheric air on the surface. For this reason, they are not too sensitive to fluctuations in oxygen concentration or lack thereof.
If we talk about other conditions of life, then the size of the aquarium is determined as follows: there should be at least 4 liters of water for one cock. How much is necessary in your case, it is not difficult to determine by this rule.
In general, special care for cockerels is not required, but for the full development it is worth adhering to these simple recommendations.
Back to content
What can not perform actions:
- direct sunlight should not fall on the aquarium;
- Do not allow excessively sudden changes in temperature and drafts when cleaning water;
- do not use natural shells, corals, shells as decorations, do not decorate the aquarium with other objects made of natural materials;
- do not put objects with sharp edges or, for example, with protrusions in the aquarium;
- cover the aquarium with the lid, as the fish themselves, and even the young Siamese males can jump out of the tank;
- Do not fill the aquarium with bottled water, it is not recommended to be used for maintenance.
Back to content
How to feed, what feed to choose? Frozen fish food and live food will do as well. In general, to choose food for wayward cockerels is not difficult. But experts recommend to feed them in a variety of ways: it is not necessary that dry feeding be the basis.
How much feed should I give? Not too much. It is recommended to conduct a simple experiment: if the remaining feed has settled to the bottom, then you have not chosen the optimal amount, you need to reduce the amount of feed, and remove the remains with a net. Feed must be eaten within 5-10 minutes. It is imperative to feed the rooster balanced, not overfeeding.
How often to feed? It is enough to do it once or twice a day.
Aquarists suggest using earthworms as food if there is no live.
Back to content
Probably, many have heard that cockerels live beautifully alone. The reason is that the fish has a peculiar behavior: it is often aggressively tuned to any neighborhood, and even to relatives. Some sources indicate that males and females live normally only in an aquarium with a volume of 40 liters or more; with other fish live peacefully, if they are contained in a container of more than 15 liters.
In many ways, behavior is a decisive factor, and lovers give the cock a desired solitude. In this case, his behavior does not harm anyone. You can even have a cockerel kept alone in a small aquarium. How much should the volume of the aquarium? For one cock, we recall, the suitable capacity of 4-5 liters.
If the cockerel is contained in a mini-aquarium, then taking care of him is even easier:
- the air supply is not needed, the fish will breathe atmospheric air as much as it needs, taking it from the surface;
- no light is needed either, cockerels live well without him;
- Do not be afraid of the appearance of foam, because it is a sure sign that the cockerel has settled down and even began to build a nest;
- Want to see the fry, without changing the aquarium, pick up a larger container for breeding.
Back to content
Breeding cockerels - not an easy task, but quite doable. You need to know a few rules to see rooster fry.
Aquarium cockerels reach sexual maturity at the age of 3-4 months. During this period, reproduction becomes possible. In order to get healthy offspring, both the female and the male should not have diseases. Therefore, if the condition of the fish is in doubt, do not select it for placement in a separate aquarium.
Tip: Breeding will be successful, and the offspring will be more viable if before spawning to actively include moth females in the diet. How does this affect the breeding of cockerels? The fact is that the crank contains nutrients, thanks to which the eggs soften. And soft eggs will more easily go out of the abdomen. But do not overdo it, if you give moth large portions, then the water becomes cloudy at times faster.
For spawning aquarium cockerels need to be transplanted into another aquarium, and its capacity should be not less than 7 liters.
Advice: It is important that the female has the opportunity to hide from the male in the new aquarium: for this, plants (Javanese moss, Anubiasas) are placed in the tank, grottoes are made. This is done to ensure that the male, who at this time becomes overly aggressive, does not attack the female continuer of the genus. To prevent possible clashes, you can first introduce the male and female. How to do it? Place the fish in transparent containers that should be located opposite each other. Fishes will see each other, and hostility will evaporate. Breeding will be better.
Male males are not only aggressive, but also active: reproduction, as a rule, is taken under control. They collect small algae in order to build a nest, collect eggs during the spawn, hide them in the nest. Moreover, after the breeding is over, the spawn has passed, the male even drives off the female and protects the eggs, carefully and attentively. The male protects each fry, if the little cock swims away from the nest, the father will certainly return the fry back.
It is precisely because of such activity of the male cockerel immediately after spawning, when the breeding is over, that the female should be removed. If you do not, then the war can not be avoided. But the male rooster can not always protect the fry. How much should you keep it with the fry? After that, when all the little cockerels hatch, the male is sent to a common aquarium.
Tip: If everything is done according to the rules, and breeding does not occur, then spawning can be stimulated: change the water, it is not essential to increase the water temperature by 3 degrees.
In general, follow the rules, and breeding will be possible even at home!
Back to content
Compatibility of roosters with other fish
It is important to know with whom the fish gets on, and with whom the aquarium cockerels live poorly. As noted, the behavior of the fish is peculiar, they live well and alone, and therefore are particularly demanding on their neighbors.
Aquarian males do not get along with the following fish (compatible non-existent): makropody, discus, tsihlazomy chernopolosaya, Akari julidochromis, tetraodon, tilapia, kupanus, Astronotus, various types melanohromis, ktenopoma, pseudotropheus, parrot, julidochromis, piranha, lineatus and other fish .
But able to live in one aquarium and even friends with these fish: Algae, neon Donaciinae, platies, befortiya, Ancistrus, akantoftalmus, mollies black swordsman, gourami nagging, ornatus, ototsinklyus, pulhripinnis, Minor (all kinds), rasbora, rubrostigma, ternets, congos, botsia, brocade catfish, tarakatum, oturisom, platydoras, loricaria, siamese gastromizon, speckled catfish, other fish.
There are also some species of fish with which males often get along, but there may be fights or ragged fins. And these are guppies, neon, danios, macrognatus, labo, cardinal, lyalius, all types of scalar, ctenobrikon, spotted gouramis, barbs, gourami marble, pearl gouram and other fish. The compatibility of the males with them is not rated very high. And in general, it is better not to put cockerels with them in one aquarium.
Back to content
To the fish did not hurt
Caring for cockerels involves the prevention of diseases and injuries. The cockerel is a fighting fish, and therefore often remains without fins. But this is not a sign of a disease, but of a recent skirmish. There is no need to isolate the fish or try to treat it: it is enough to feed it correctly so that the regeneration process proceeds quickly.
If there are signs indicating a disease, then the fish should be planted out of the general aquarium. And in a quarantine aquarium you need to start its treatment.
Quite often, the fish may feel bad because of dirty or not fresh water, and therefore do not forget to change it.
Now you know what the life span of a rooster is, what to feed him, how much food to give, what kind of care he needs, whether they get along with other species in the aquarium and other useful information. One thing remains - to put everything into practice. The behavior of the fish can not be called perfect, but the more interesting to watch it. In general, good luck!
Back to content
Cockerel fish care
Cockerel fish is distinguished by its beauty and fighting spirit. It received its name due to the fact that two males in one aquarium arrange real cockfights, with fluffed fins and tails. If time does not separate them, then one of the cockerels, alas, dies.
The homeland of the cockerel fish is small ponds with warm water in Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia. That is why the cockerel fish must be kept in warm water at 22-26 ° C.
Cockerel Fish - maintenance and care
Caring for aquarium cockerel fish does not require deep knowledge, it is enough to follow the following recommendations. The cockerel fish feels great in a small aquarium. These are representatives of the labyrinth fish, which means that they breathe with the help of the gill labyrinth with atmospheric air. Close the aquarium lid so that the air above the water surface warms up and your little cockerel does not catch a cold.
The aquarium can be filled with plants with large leaves, exclude those that cover the surface of the water or have sharp edges. Living plants are preferable to artificial ones; in addition, they will supply oxygen to the water in the aquarium. Take care also of shelters for fish, dark soil. Aeration of water is not required, and you can put the filter on request. However, do not forget that the cockerel fish is inactive and care for it involves the creation of calm conditions, and the filter in a small aquarium can create excessive turbulence.
Do not place the aquarium in a draft or in direct sunlight, but the fish must have a sufficient amount of light. Clean the aquarium regularly! This should be done once a week, and if you have a small aquarium it’s better to completely change the water. The fish is caught in a net and transplanted into a jar with a portion of the water. Then, under running water without the use of powders, they wash the aquarium and the ground and fill it with clean water of the desired temperature.
How to feed a cock fish?
For the rooster fish, they choose a special food in the form of small flakes, which is a dry full-feed. Food give 1-2 times a day at the tip of a knife. Within 5-10 minutes all food must be eaten. However, the cockerel fish is prone to overeating, if necessary, you can arrange for it one fasting day.
Breeding cockerel fish
For breeding cockerels fit a pair of fish at the age of 6-8 months. Until the moment of their meeting, they are kept separately for a couple of weeks, then they are thrown into one common aquarium, where the male begins to build a nest of foam and show mating games. In a couple of days you can expect spawning. After the female lays 100-600 eggs, it is deposited, and the male takes care of the eggs. After another 3-5 days, when the fry are already swimming, the male is rejected.
- aquarium length 25 cm and more;
- water level 10-15 cm;
- without soil;
- after the male has settled down, the water level is 5 cm;
- subdued lighting;
- pair of plants with small leaves.
Further content of the cockerel fish with other fish is possible. Do not forget about the nature of the fighting fish, about what fish the cockerels get on with. Do not hold together two males, do not choose guppies or fishes with veils in neighbors.
Cockerel Fish Disease
The most common disease affecting the beautiful tails of cockerels is called fin rot, or pseudomonosis. With this disease, the fins and tail descend and become as if scorched around the edges. The progression of this disease can leave your fish without a tail and fins. Infection occurs due to a specific bacterium that gets into the water with sick fish, live food and poor soil. The disease must be treated with special means.
The average life expectancy of fish is two to three years, but how long the cockerels live depends on the care and maintenance.
How many years will live cock in the aquarium?
The betta siamese betta splendens are very popular pets that live in an aquarium. For the first time having settled this fish, many people have a question: "How many cockerel fish live?" The average life expectancy is 2-4 years with proper care. If you have created proper conditions for your pet, then at home he will live as long as possible. To achieve this result, you must follow the rules for the purchase and maintenance of fish.
How to choose a healthy cock in the store?
Your cockerel will live longer if initially purchased from a good seller. When you notice that the fish lives in quality conditions, moves well, eats, it has a beautiful appearance - it means that you can settle at home.First of all, pay attention to the activity of the fish in the aquarium, the state of the scales and fins, its general physical condition.
Buy a young fish. The sooner she gets used to your tank, the more comfortable she will be there. The youngsters adapt more quickly to new conditions of life. In young males, the fins are shorter than in the mature ones, and in the young the body size is several centimeters smaller.
Look at the young male Blue / Red Dragon Halfmoon Betta.
Estimate the volume and condition of the water in which the not yet purchased fish lives. If you notice a cloud, dirt, substrate of unknown origin, wait a little with the purchase. Water should be clean, clear, slightly yellowish shade is allowed.
Look at the other fish that live in the same tank with the fish you like. Is it a bit tight for the day? How do they move, feed, their external condition? The Siamese cockerels are fighters, and a long settlement in a species aquarium will destroy them all. If each fish lives separately, in good conditions - this is a big plus.
Do not buy two Betta splendens at once. If you lodge newcomers in a common tank, they quickly harm each other. Buy one pet, put him in a 2-week quarantine, look at his condition. When he gets used to the new environment, you can populate it in a pre-prepared aquarium. After a few months, you can add neighbors to it, but given the nature of the character, this is a big risk.
How to help the fish live longer?
- Set up the aquarium correctly, wait until it is established biological balance. Let it be a rectangular tank with a volume of 50-100 liters. Small, round containers will not allow the fish to move, it will be uncomfortable and boring. In the spacious reservoir there is an opportunity to create an amazing aquascape that resembles a natural biotope. Use a good filter to quickly deal with biological stress.
- Let plants and algae be in your tank. In the most convenient for cockerels tanks there is a lot of vegetation, they are provided to ensure that there is enough oxygen in the water, and it remains clean. Buy plants from trusted vendors so that they are healthy and treated for parasites.
- Maintain the temperature in the aquarium. Adjust it with a water thermometer. The cockerel is a tropical fish, which is used to warm water: the temperature is 26-29 ° C. Use 50W heaters.
See how to keep a cockerel fish.
- The life of the fish will extend the correct, balanced feeding. In the aquarium, the fish will only eat what they give it, so choose several types of feed. Live, frozen, dry, artificial - the cockerel is omnivorous. However, do not overfeed, try to give suitable, proven feed. Clean uneaten food residues in time.
- Be attentive to your pet - watch him, play with him. Teach him new tricks to help him interact with you.
- Do not try to provoke the fish to aggression. Sometimes you can put a mirror in the aquarium, but for a short time. Betta's cockerel is a real fighter, so he should not be in constant rage. Do not put decorations or stones on the bottom of the tank that could damage the quality of the water. Dyes, water softeners are not always appropriate.
- Make timely water changes and clean your aquarium. There is a perception that cockerels are very hardy fish, but this is not entirely true. Dirty water provokes illness, and even the death of a pet. Sharp changes in water parameters are also destructive for a living being.
- Let the fish spawn. Let the roosters not have good parents, but the lack of reproduction adversely affects their health. In the female, the calf lag forms cysts with which it is difficult for her to live. Males become more lethargic and live less.
- Make sure the lid in the aquarium is slightly open. Like labyrinth fish, cockerels must breathe more and atmospheric air. Ensure that the air and water temperatures match.
Royal cockerel and other types of fighting fish
The cockerel fish, the Siamese cockerel, or the fighting fish (lat. Betta splendens) is a member of the Macropod family, a suborder Labyrinth. Cockerel fishes are found in freshwater bodies with stagnant water in Southeast Asia. In our time, the breeding forms of cockerels often become participants in international exhibitions.
For the first time, they found out about the cockerel fish in the 19th century, when the people of Siam found her in a rice ditch. Noticing the aggressive nature of their relatives, the people handed the fish to the local ruler. European naturalists who visited Siam, explored its features. Later with her participation organized "cock" fights, for which the fish and nicknamed "fight". Cockerels were brought to Europe in 1892. In the early twentieth century, American breeders began to develop new species of Betta splendens, which were distinguished by fins of unusual symmetry and rich colors of scales.
The aquarium cockerel Betta splendens has an elongated, oval-shaped body, flattened on the sides. The body size of the male is 6 cm, females - 4 cm in length. In most species, the color of the scales of males is brighter than that of females, the fins of males are lush and long, in females they are not so prominent. Today, in addition to natural species, there are a number of other species and breeds that were artificially bred. Aquarium betta cockerels differ in a variety of forms: red fighting fish, yellow cockerels, blue, green, pink, white, multi-colored. In the light, the body of the fish flickers with different colors. During the spawning period, males become very lush and bright, demonstrating their superiority over competitors. Even the female can differ in long fins, and engage in fights.
Betta fish, or betta cockerel got its name due to its character. The males are often kept alone: so that they do not get bored, they attach a mirror to the wall of the tank. When settling in a common aquarium, the cockerel fish enters into fights with representatives of its own species, or other neighbors. In the excited state, the female and male bulging fins and gill covers, gaining a formidable look.
The dorsal and caudal fins of the rooster are rounded, the ventral fin originates from the head or mid-belly, and ends at the very base of the caudal fin. Scales in fish of a cycloid structure, well adjacent to the skin. As a labyrinth species, the cockerel fish is a two-breathing hydrobiont, thanks to the labyrinth channel, captures the atmospheric air, dissolving it in this organ. Also breathes with gills.
On the varieties of these fish in the form of the tail fin and coloring
Fighting cockerels (Betta splendens) are varieties of Betta. Selection forms "betta" and Betta splendens are completely different forms. Bettam include: Cockerel (Betta splendens), Betta unimaculata, Betta imbellis ladiges (dwarf, or black cockerel), Betta picta, Betta smaragdins ladiges, Betta taeniata Regan. Now we will talk about the forms of the caudal fin and differences.
- Crescent-shaped tail (Half moon) occurs in males with long and symmetrical fins. The tail is long, the correct form. When excited, the extreme rays expand at an angle of 90 °, the tail forms a semblance of the Latin letter D.
Admire the Halfmoon Betta.
- Rose tails are similar to the previous species, but their tail beams form weaves that never stretch. The "wrinkled" edges of the tail resemble rose petals.
- Super delta (Super delta) is a transitional form between the "delta" and "crescent". The edges of the tail are located to the axis of the body at an angle of 130-180o.
- The corona-tailed form (Crowntail) - the tail has many branched rays, the tail has a tooth often shaped like a crown.
- Veil tail form (Veil tail) - long fins that fall down. From the outside, it seems that they “weight down” the body of the fish.
- Double tail shape, or "delta" - the extreme rays of the tail have a D-shaped outline, the tail fin is not flattened, forms a right angle.
- Round tail - found in wild species, all fins are short, dense.
- The shape of the "brush" (Spade tail) - the tail has a pointed symmetry, the fin rays form a "corolla" pattern.
- Short-tail form (Plakad) - the tail resembles an open fan, its rays stand out well, resembling veinlets.
- The shape of the "flag" when the tail is close to a triangular shape, but well assembled.
According to body color, fighting fish are divided into: monochrome, bicolor, multicolor, marble, "dragon", "butterflies", etc.
Popular aquarium representatives
- The Cockerel fish (Betta splendens) is endemic to Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Thailand). The body of the fish is narrow, elongated, rounded in cross section. In the natural environment it feeds on insects, which are easily captured by the upper mouth. Betta vulgaris occurs with long and short fins. The wild fighting fish has scales of a dark brown shade on which green spots meet. The method of selection brought out the forms of Betta ordinary with veil fins and different color scales. The wild-looking fins play with different colors, shimmer in the world. The body length of an adult individual is 5-6 cm. Life expectancy is 3 years. The female is slightly paler in color, during spawning, it clearly shows the umbilical cord, from which the egg-laying will emerge. All types of Betta ordinary sleep at the bottom of the aquarium with open eyes.
- The black cock is not warlike, the black betta, the pygmy cock (Betta imbellis) is very beautiful, popular due to its interesting color and peaceful behavior. Often it is bred and sold in Thailand and Malaysia. The size of an adult individual is 5-6 cm in length. Fish carnivorous, eats daphnia, larvae of flies and mosquito. Prefers subacidic water, temperature 24-28 degrees Celsius. Body color can be blue, black and red. The tail fin is round or "delta", has red, blue stripes. The color of the scales is black with blue splashes. Peaceful fish was nicknamed because it can be kept in one tank in a company of 2 males and 2-4 females. When establishing a hierarchy, the males will not fight, so this pet can be chosen by a novice aquarist.
Look at a pair of betta imbellis.
- Crown tail Betta is a breeding form of Betta splendens Cockerel. The fish is immediately noticeable in the aquarium due to the rich bright color of the scales. Swims beautifully, mannered. The shape of the tail fin belongs to the crown-tailed species. The body is painted in red pigment, so for feeding the fish should be given food with carotenoids. Character, like many cockerels, fighting - you can settle without neighbors.
- The Blue Siamese Cockerel is another form of Betta. The blue-colored cockerel is the favorite of newcomers to aquarism. The blue cockerel has a void-shaped fin, long, falling down. The body is completely blue except for the ventral fins (they are red) and the head, which is distinguished by a dark color. The fish is mannered, very beautiful, but it cannot be settled with its neighbors, who are not opposed to seize its magnificent finch.
- The Green Cock, or Smaragda Betta, is a wild fish found in freshwater Asian waters. In the Betta smaragdina fish, the body has a slender, elongated symmetry, flattened on the sides. The color of the body is olive-green, there may be blueblue spots on the scales, which shimmer in the world. Gill covers and head painted dark. All fins can shine in different colors, or be painted in green, blue or red. Only the ventral fins are distinguished by a pure red tint. The dorsal fin is characterized by the presence of dark stripes. Genital differences are noticeable: the male has a larger fin size, the females on the dorsal fin have black lines. The body size of adults is 5.5–7 cm in length.
What are sick and how to treat cockerel fish
The aquarium fish fighting cockerel needs full care and in proper conditions of detention. If these rules are not followed, the fish may become ill, with negative consequences. Diseases are easily transmitted to other fish that live in the same aquarium with a rooster, even if it is divided into two halves by a partition. The treatment is simplified if she initially lives in a separate tank. If you observe: changes in the appearance, behavior and physiology of pets, it may be the symptoms of their disease.
- Symptoms of the disease appeared quickly, suddenly, and they showed up in other fish? Then the reason is as aquarium water. What to do: make measurements of water parameters using a water thermometer, litmus paper, pH value. Learn indicators of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, temperature, CO2, oxygen. Be sure to change the water to fresh and clean.
- If symptoms of the disease appear in all fish, or in fish of the same species, it means that their organism is susceptible to infection. What to do: transplant diseased fish to a quarantine tank, do an inspection, diagnose all the symptoms, establish a diagnosis. Then you can treat.
Fin rot (Latin name: Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, Vibrio)
A terrible disease of the fish, which may be exposed to cockerels. Their fins are affected by pathogenic bacteria that completely destroy the structure of the fin. Symptoms of the disease: clouding of the fins, their sticking, the appearance of a white border, ulcers at the base of the fins, the cornea of the eyes may dim.
The main cause of the disease is improper care of the reservoir. A cockerel fish can get sick if:
- Aquarium for fish overpopulated;
- Water changes are rare or absent;
- Residues of the feed are not removed from the ground; the bottom siphon is not produced;
- The filter is bad or dirty;
- The new neighbors of the rooster did not stay in quarantine, or the roosters were placed in an aquarium with sick fish.
See how to treat fin rot.
Even in an ideal, at first glance, aquarium, cockerel fish can get sick. Fin rot is an infectious disease that exists almost everywhere, and it develops rapidly in a favorable environment. Treatment of fish is permissible with the use of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial drugs, which allow in a few days to limit the growth of bacteria, after which the fish can be fully treated. Preparations for treating fin rot in males: malachite green, Sera Baktopur, streptocid 1.5 g per 10 liters of water (baths), Tetra GeneralTonic (Tetra), Antipar, Fiosept, Tripaflavin. Can be used for the treatment of salt baths: for cockerel 7-10 grams of salt per 1 liter of water. They can be arranged 30 minutes a day. All preparations for fish should be used according to the instructions for use.
Ichthyophthyriosis, or "semolina"
The causative agent of fish disease is the ichthyoftirius infusorium It hits their body, covering it with spots like semolina. Every year this disease mutates, it becomes harder to cure. Previously, it was treated by heating water to a temperature of 30-35 ° C, single-celled were destroyed. Modern ichthyophthiriosis is not always treatable with medication.
Symptoms of the disease: the fish becomes lethargic, rubs against the ground, eats poorly, swims in jerks, trembles. On the head appears "semolina", which is distributed throughout the body. In males, parasitic unicellulars appear if:
- Behind an aquarium do not clean, do not replace water;
- If the tank is overpopulated, cramped for fish;
- When the cockerel is overfed;
- New plants or fish have not been quarantined;
- In an aquarium for fish there is cool water, below 25 ° C.
Watch a video on how to treat ichthyophthyriosis.
Treatment of fish ichthyophthiriosis is possible with the use of sea or table salt, methylene blue, malachite green. Also use drugs Bicillin-5, Trypaflavin, Antipar, Sera Costapur. Doses of drugs should be selected according to the instructions. Another treatment condition is water heating up to a temperature of 30-32 degrees, but preventing overheating. This should be during the treatment of fish. After recovery, the fish for 3-5 days should be in the water with such a temperature, as a preventive measure. Do not forget to treat the entire aquarium with the bicillin -5 and replace the water with a clean one.
Hodiniosis, or "velvet disease"
Oodinum flagellum - the causative agent of the disease. The reasons for their spread are cool water, new neighbors untreated in quarantine, poor aquarium cleaning. When a fish is sick, gray or golden nodules form on the edges of its fins. Then the scales exfoliate, the fins stick together. Sick fish does not breathe, does not eat, moves in jerks, rubs against the bottom. The cockerel fish along with other fish should be treated in a quarantine tank, with heated water temperatures. They are treated with drugs Sera oodinopur, JBL Oodinol, Tetra Medika General Tonic, Ichthiophore, Formed or Antipar according to the instructions. Also replace the water for small fish with clean, process all decorations and plants.
See also: Aquarium species of cockerels, Compatibility of cockerels with other fish and inhabitants of the aquarium.
What kind of care do you need a cockerel (fish) ???
And this is without myths and the Internet.
1) Provide your pet with warm air OVER the surface of the aquarium. Cockerels are fish that can drown, their gills are underdeveloped, so they are forced like dolphins to emerge from time to time and swallow air. If the cockerel swallows cold air, then he is guaranteed a cold and inflammation of the labyrinth (he has no lungs). which guarantees death in 90% of cases. On this basis, the cap on the aquarium should be! Or in the room where there is an aquarium should be warm. Recommended temperature - 25 - 26 degrees.
2) Be sure to swimming plants! Riccia - the cockerel will build a nest from its fragments. Typically, the construction of nests is a favorite occupation of the male cock and indicator of his normal life. It is not necessary to drive the plants into a pile or do something else with them :) The cockerel will make his way perfectly for a portion of air.Males (and females) of cockerels are lazy creatures and love to rest lying down on a broad sheet of a plant.
If you keep a female with a male, plants are needed that will organize thickets. Male males can kill a female, so - shelter, shelter and shelter! Plants are definitely alive! Any fenoflyastikovaya muck does not bring anything good except the selection in the aquarium.
3) Habitat. One male can be kept in a small aquarium. He will survive in a liter of water. However, you know, between the word live and survive is a big difference. People live in prisons. In general, I recommend an aquarium NOT less than 5 liters per cock. Steamed 10 liters.
4) Cockerel - betta fish. Two cocks placed in a small obemv guaranteed arrange a fight, ending in the death of one of them. In a large aquarium, they may blur, but it is still better to contain a male and several chickens.
5) Feed - high-quality feed companies Sera and Tetra. All kinds of "Fish" and other gammarus with dried daphnia discarded. Feed diversely. If you feed dry food, be sure to diet food with a high plant component and several types of feed. It is problematic to buy live food sometimes and in general it is possible to get along without it - it is perfectly possible to feed it with frozen food - bloodworm, cyclop, koretra. The straw pipe is not necessary, cockerels grow fat very quickly from it. You can make food and on their own recipe.
6) Aeration and filtration. Yes, the cock does not need aeration, but this does not mean that it is not needed for an aquarium. It is very desirable to have in the aquarium with a cockerel the simplest filter and the water will be cleaner, and there will be no stagnant zones in the aquarium, there will be no oily film on the water. In general, anything does not hurt. Although too strong is not needed, the nest can collapse. By the way, for the first 10 days the rookie fry is obligatory; the labyrinth has not yet grown.
7) Fun :) If you keep a male cockerel alone, sometimes show yourself to yourself in a mirror. You will not regret. But, just do it not often.
The main requirement for keeping cockerel fish is free access to the surface of the water. This means that all plants floating on the surface of the water must somehow be strengthened on one side of the aquarium. For example, to drive into a corner all Richia, duckweed, or a pistol and partition off with a stick-strut. However, completely remove the floating plants is not recommended, moreover - they are desirable.
Cockerels do not need aeration, which greatly simplifies the care of an aquarium, and the aesthetic side also has a place to be.
Males are quite thermophilic, recommended temperature: + 25-28 degrees Celsius. But they feel good even at lower temperatures and calmly endure a decrease to +18, although experimenting is not worth it.
Despite the physical pollution of natural water bodies, its chemical composition is inverse to the logical one - the water should be of medium hardness and even soft. Regarding the acidity, it is difficult to say anything, so it is logical to withstand the neutral mode (6.5-7.5 pH).
Now it is necessary to say about the size of the aquarium. In general, cockerels in this regard are similar to guppies - they feel great even in a liter jar. By the way, experienced breeders keep them in the same way - in banks floating in an aquarium to reduce daily temperature drops.
Cockerel has a second name - betta fish. Males, especially "saddled" veterans, love to arrange real slaughter, often with a fatal outcome!
Live food is mandatory for cockerel fish at least twice a week. This is an immutable rule, especially if two or more males live in your tank. Of live food, a pipe worker and a bloodworm are always available.
Dry food - daphnia, gammarus, bloodworm (the latter is rarely found on the shelves). Not badly proved flakes of domestic production. Try not to overfeed the fish (especially Gammarus).
My cock lives in a jug aquaphor)
in 1 liter of water))) with 5 small snails. and without compressor. I add water once a week, because the water evaporates) stands on the desk of the computer) without light and heat) lives half a year like this)
I keep my peter in 5 litrovka, I feed daphnia on the tip of a knife a little more than 1 time a day. As a daphnia I go to fetch a mottole to a fishing store and 3 pieces 2 roses a day and then daphnia between perehodyatomm do a fasting day without food