How to destroy the snails in the aquarium?
Aquarium snails are beautiful, useful and for the most part do not harm other inhabitants. However, there are times when they breed so abundantly that they begin to annoy the aquarist. This is especially true of soil snails, such as melania. Getting rid of them completely is not very easy, and in the article we will look at the main ways to cope with an excess amount of snails.
A variety of aquarium snails
Snails are gastropods, part of the genus Mollusca, which also includes mussels and mollusks, a feature is a single shell. They move on the surface with one big and muscular leg, eating food in a small mouth. A pair of sensitive tentacles out of the head and on them are located the eyes with which snails explore the world. They have lungs that they breathe on the surface, gills for breathing underwater, or both.
Most of the snails are hermaphroditic, that is, they have both male and female genitals immediately. In most cases, pairing requires a pair, which is to lay eggs, in a mucous protective film, in the aquarium it can often be seen under the leaves of plants. Ampulyaria lay a large number of eggs above the surface of the water, the clutch looks like yellow or orange eggs in a dense, tough pile. Some snails, such as aquarium melania - viviparous. Aquarium snails are omnivores, they can eat algae, food debris, carrion, rotting plant parts. Some large snails can damage tender plants, but contrary to popular belief, small snails do not damage them.
Snails in aquarium
The controlled population of snails does not harm the aquarium, on the contrary, the snails eat the remains of food, clean them of algae, and the ground snails mix and aerate the soil, preventing it from rotting. Many contain interesting snails - ampoules, which are not very demanding and not prone to rapid reproduction. However, small snails, such as fizy and coils tend to multiply rapidly in favorable conditions, and quickly fill the aquarium, covering the glass, filters, plants.
How to avoid snails in the aquarium
Usually, snails enter a new aquarium in the form of caviar or adults, which are transferred along with the plants, decor, or when transplanting fish. Check all plants for snails or their calves, or dip plants in a solution that kills them (Hydra-Tox), even the most attentive aquarists live snails. For a balanced aquarium snails do not pose a threat. Instead of struggling with their penetration into the aquarium, it is better to monitor their number, rapid reproduction means any problems in the aquarium.
Growing snail population in an aquarium
The main reason for the excess number of snails in the aquarium is the abundant feeding of fish. Snails devour food debris and multiply in a square progression. If snails began to disturb you, or rather their number in the aquarium, check if you are overfeeding fish?
Usually the waste accumulates in the ground and serves as a warehouse for snails, so the second task is to siphon the soil and remove the remaining food. Also, the snails devour algae, and if you do not have antsistrus or similar catfish, you should add them to the jar, creating food competition. In addition, catfish devour the eggs of snails.
Do snails suffer diseases?
Snails are involved in the transmission of diseases among fish populations, as they can be used as carriers for parasites and pathogens. However, you should not worry too much, nevertheless, when buying new types of fish or feeding them with live food, the chance to bring the disease is several times higher.
Fighting snails with chemical methods
New preparations for dealing with snails can be bought in pet stores and online stores, but still they should be used only as a last resort, as it has a lot of side effects. The main problem is that when it works, the massive death of snails will break balance in the aquarium.
Death will cause a bacterial outbreak, changes in water parameters and fish disease. Moreover, chemistry will not kill all the snails, and their eggs, and they will continue to multiply by eating the remnants of their relatives. Carefully read the instructions, some drugs are toxic to fish and shrimp, also avoid using other chemicals for the aquarium, it can reduce effectiveness.
The natural method - snail traps
Snail traps are now produced by many brands, but it’s quite difficult to buy them from us. Easier to do it yourself. The most elementary snail trap - leave a sheet of scalded cabbage at night on the bottom of the aquarium, putting it on the plate. In the morning it will be covered with snails, which are easy to remove. By doing this regularly, you will significantly reduce the population.
If fish, for example, somas do not allow to do so, then you can modernize the method. We take a plastic bottle, close it, burn holes in the bottom, or pierce holes so that the fish cannot get in and the snails easily. Inside we put either lettuce, or cabbage, or other vegetables, better scalded, so they will work more efficiently. Flood the bottle and leave. In the morning you will receive a full bottle of snails.
The natural method is fish
Some fish in nature eat snails, and you can use them to fight. However, if your fish is full enough, it is unlikely to pay attention to them. Keep them slightly hungry. An excellent snail eater is a tetradon, but it has a bad temper and is not suitable for general aquariums. Of the less aggressive - fighting clown, macropod, some types of gourami. Also, all kinds of catfish, eating the eggs of snails. To help the catfish in the fight, turn over the decor, snags, pots, etc., as caviar is most often laid under it.
Natural method - predatory snails
Predatory snails Helena (Antentome helena), carnivores and eat other species of snails. In recent years, they have become quite popular and buy them no problem. These are beautiful, cone-shaped snails, which also look attractive. Grow up to 1.-2 cm. Helena can significantly reduce the number of snails and even completely destroy them, if this happens, they begin to eat like all snails, although such a diet is not typical for them. Although helens do not breed as fast as normal snails, they can give birth to offspring. But the snail is quite expensive, and if it happens at a loss you will not.
Snails pollute the aquarium
On the contrary, aquarium snails eat waste, clean the surface, destroy algae. This myth is most likely to come from the fact that snails thrive in neglected aquariums with abundant feeding and poor maintenance.
Snails can kill small fish
Snails are omnivores and will eat anything they can reach. When the fish dies or is already very weakened, the snails immediately gather for a feast. The aquarist sees that the fish is lying at the bottom and snails are eating it, but they are not to blame for its death. A little thought is easy to understand - a slow-moving snail can pose no danger to healthy and frisky fish.
Snails spoil the plants
Some snails, especially from nature and local water bodies can damage plants. But the bulk of the aquarium snails do not harm the plants in any way. Snails have a small mouth adapted for scraping from surfaces, and higher plants have a hard surface. The origin of the myth is easy to understand - the snails are constantly eating old, dying leaves and it seems that they killed them.
- 1. Do not overfeed
- 2. Clean the soil regularly.
- 3. Get catfish or shrimp so they eat the same algae
- 4. Get some snail fish
- 5. Turn the snags and decor
- 6. Use snail traps
- 7. Check out new plants and decor for caviar and snails.
- 8. Never use plants or decor from local ponds.
- 9. Do not feed a couple of days of fish, they will be more likely to eat snails
- 10. Watch out for water if using chemicals.
How to rid the aquarium of snails coils
Snail aquarium - useful and beautiful creatures that can be useful in the care of the tank. They are harmless, omnivorous, unpretentious in content. However, due to their nature, they multiply very quickly. Experienced aquarists and newcomers are sometimes confused by the fact that there are so many snails. How to get rid of snails in an aquarium so that it does not disturb the biological equilibrium of the aquatic environment, and does not harm the fish and plants?
About the reproductive system of snails
Snails are gastropods with a single shell. They have a big muscular leg, with which they move. On the head there is a small mouth and a pair of "antennas", which are tentacles with eyes. They are two-breathing creatures, able to breathe both lungs and gills.
There are snails of opposite-sex and same-sex (hermaphrodite). Some species bear and lay eggs, others - viviparous, produce small snails, ready for a full life. Hermaphrodites have male and female reproductive organs. All aquarium species quickly produce offspring, and some can be bought already pregnant. Ampulyarii - mollusks of different sexes, lay eggs above the surface of the water. The coils will turn out to reproduce clutch without the participation of a male or female, it is a hermaphrodite. Melania, Helena, tilomelany - viviparous species.
These mollusks perfectly adapt to environmental conditions, so their population is rapidly increasing. They eat almost everything - algae, plants, carrion, and decaying plants, unedited food. Perfectly cope with the purification of aquarium water, eliminate the "bloom".
Watch the video about how to get rid of snails in the aquarium.
How do snails get into an aquarium?
To control the population of aquarium coils, ampoules, neretins, melania, tilomeleaniya, fizy, mariza and other species, you need to apply measures according to their physiological characteristics. When you control the population of mollusks, the aquarium is not harmed. They do an excellent job with algae, mix the soil, do not allow it to rot. In fizy and coils high reproduction rate, as a result of which the aquarium is very quickly populated. They do not give passage, clogging up all the scenery and arrangements.
Snails get into the aquarium, if you buy them, or bring them together with plants, snags. If you do not want to see such a cohabitation with fish, before planting in the tank of a new decoration or plant, treat them with Hydra-Tox solution. Rapid reproduction means that something is wrong with the bio-balance or water parameters. In a balanced environment, these mollusks are absolutely harmless, they can even be useful.
Also, they become a lot because of the overfeeding of fish. Mollusks eat the remnants of food, and the more of it, the more it becomes this living creatures. Waste accumulated in the ground encourages reproduction, so in time to siphon it and remove food debris.
How to deal with snails?
- The chemical method - you buy in the pet store special drugs, because of which these animals die. Is it worth it to do? This method is best used as a last resort, as the rapid death of animals will disturb the aquatic ecosystem. Chemicals have side effects - a bacterial outbreak, diseases of fish and plants, changes in water parameters. Drugs can be toxic to all living things. Do not use drugs that are not intended to fight snails. Means to help remove snails: Tropical Hydra-Tox, ZMF Limnacid, Sera Snailpur, Sera snail-Ex, JBL Schnecktol, Aquacon against snails, Dajana Molucid.
- Set traps for mollusks - you can buy traps in the pet store, and do it yourself. Prepare a leaf of cabbage, scald it. Put the bottom of the aquarium on a plate. In the morning the cabbage leaf and the plate will be in snails, which are easy to clean. A regular procedure will reduce their population. If herbivorous fish do not allow cabbage to "live" until the morning, you can improve the way. Take a plastic bottle, make small holes in it, in which the fish will not fit, and the snails will easily crawl through them. Place scalded cabbage, lettuce leaves in a bottle, and flood it at the bottom of the tank. In the morning there will be a lot of these animals in the bottle.
See how to catch snails from the aquarium.
- Fish - many fish love snails as a treat. However, well-fed fish will not eat mollusks. We'll have to underfed the fish, or plant them on a fasting day. Eat well snails tetradons, clown fights, macropods, gourami, catfish (eating their eggs).
- Large snails, predators - there is such a snail Helena, which eats both small fishes and small snails (coils, ampoules, and others). Now buy Helena is not problematic, its size is 1.5-2 cm. Helena can destroy almost all the relatives in a matter of days. However, it should be noted that Helena also multiply, and can bring with them another brood of the same "devourers". Control the population of all species in the aquarium.
- The mechanical method is to catch clams with a net. The process is time consuming, but if you do not have a lot of aquarium snails, you can handle it.
How to remove snails from an aquarium :: How to get rid of snails in an aquarium :: Animals :: Other
How to remove snails from the aquarium
Not all snails are equally useful for aquarium. In spawning aquarium snails do nothing at all, they eat eggs and fish larvae. In the general aquarium of hordes snails can completely destroy aquatic plants. The most common problem for an aquarist is the rapid reproduction of a red corneous coil or red fizzy. They must be periodically disposed of.
The question "Why are cats not a commodity when there are already reviews about them?" - 1 reply
You will need
- - banana peel;
- - leaf lettuce;
- -bleaching powder;
- - battery 9-12 V;
- -copper wire:
- - fish-predators: macropod ordinary, tetradont and others.
1. You can get rid of snails in several ways. Large snails, such as ampulyaria, can be collected by hand and transferred to another aquarium. The young of these snails are also quite large, and their eggs are under the cover glass of the aquarium. Masonry, like raspberries, is above the water. Remove and discard it.
2. Snails can be caught on the bait. Use banana peel and lettuce leaves as bait. Put the bait on the bottom of the aquarium. When snails are gathered on the bait, they are removed along with the peel or leaves. This procedure must be done several times at intervals of 3-4 days in order to remove not only large snails, but also recently hatched caviar. In this case, it is not necessary to remove fish and plants from the aquarium.
3. There is an electrical method for removing snails. Take 2 stranded copper wires. On one side, clean the ends in the form of panicles by 3-5 cm. Connect the other ends to a battery with a voltage of 9-12 V. Dip the stripped ends into water from opposite sides of the aquarium for 2-3 minutes. Snails die. This method, despite the speed, has its drawbacks. First, many plants do not tolerate copper ions and may die. Secondly, it is not known for certain how this procedure affects fish, although some aquarists claim that it is harmless. Thirdly, dead snails will still have to be removed from the aquarium manually. Decomposing, they will ruin the water.
4. The radical method of dealing with snails is that all fish and plants are removed from the aquarium. Plants destroy. Completely replace the soil or boil it, followed by washing. Disinfect the aquarium with bleach, rinse and dry thoroughly. Refill the aquarium with water. This method can only be used in small aquariums, where biological balance is quickly established and there are no valuable plants.
5. The most effective and environmentally friendly method of dealing with snails is biological. Plant their natural enemies in a snail-infested aquarium. These are hungry adult macropods, large cichlids. The specialized mollusk eaters - tetradonts cope better than others with this task. Caviar snails very well destroy antsistrusy. A pair of spawning cichlase or cancer completely destroys all the snails in a 100-liter aquarium in 2 days.
Some aquarists specifically populate snails in an aquarium. Before you do this, you need to think about whether you need them and how you are going to deal with them later.
Melania snails which are easier to get than lime
Melania sandy Melanoides tuberculata, this is a very common bottom aquarium snail, which the aquarists themselves both love and hate at the same time. On the one hand, melania eat waste, algae, and the soil mixes well, preventing it from souring. On the other hand, they multiply in incredible quantities, and can be a real plague for the aquarium.
Initially they lived in Southeast Asia and Africa, but now live in an incredible number of different aquatic environments, in different countries and on different continents. Произошло это из-за беззаботности аквариумистов или через естественную миграцию. Факт, что большинство меланий попадают в новый аквариум с растениями или декорациями, и часто хозяин даже не знает что у него завелись гости.
Содержание в аквариуме
Улитки мелании могут жить в любом по размеру аквариуме, а в природе в любом водоеме, но не выживают, если климат слишком холодный. Они невероятно выносливы, и могут выживать в аквариумах с рыбами, которые питаются улитками, например с тетрадонами. They have a hard shell enough for the tetroadone to gnaw, and they spend a lot of time in the ground where it is impossible to reach them. The most common is the snail melania granifer, but in fact between them all the difference is small.
Most of the time, melania spend buried in the ground than help aquarists, as they constantly mix the soil, not letting it sour. On the surface crawl en masse at night.
Melania is not without reason called sand, in the sand it is easier to live. But this does not mean that they can not live in other soils. I have a wonderful feeling in small gravel, and my friend even in an aquarium has practically no soil and large cichlids.
Things like filtering, acidity and hardness don't really matter much, grinding will adapt to everything. At the same time you will not even need to put any effort. The only thing they do not like is cold water, as they live in the tropics. Also, melania create a very small bio load on the aquarium, and even after breeding in large quantities, they will not affect the balance in the aquarium. The only thing that suffers from them - the appearance of the aquarium.
The appearance of melania may differ slightly, for example, in color or a long shell. But, if you meet her once, you will never be confused.
Overcrowding, nervous, not to watch:
To feed melania in an aquarium, you do not need to create any conditions at all; they will eat up all that remains of other inhabitants. They also eat some soft algae, thereby helping to keep the aquarium clean. The advantage of melania is that they mix the soil, thereby preventing it from souring and rotting.
If you want to supplement melanin additionally, then you can give any tablets for catfish, sliced and slightly boiled vegetables - cucumber, zucchini, cabbage. By the way, in this way, you can get rid of excessive amount of melania, give them vegetables, and then get snails crawling for food. Caught snails need to be destroyed, but do not rush to throw them into the sewer, there were cases when they crawled back. The simplest thing is to pack them in a bag and put them in the freezer.
Melania viviparous, the snail bears an egg, from which there are already well-formed small melania, which immediately burrow into the ground. The number of newborn snails can vary depending on the size of the snail itself and range from 10 to 60 pieces.
For the breeding of melania, nothing is particularly required, and a small amount can quickly fill even a large aquarium. How to get rid of excess melaniy you can find out here.
How to get rid of snails coils, melania in the aquarium Snails in the aquarium
How to get rid of snails in the aquarium?
Great cheap and trouble-free way !!! !
take one apple, cut it in half (in half) and lay it on the bottom. after a while all the snails in the aquarium will end up on this apple ... then remove it along with the snails! ! if you delete all the snails, then for about two months, the problem with them will be solved ... if you do not want to delete all, leave a few!
The most effective way to get rid of snails is to set traps for them and cheap and chemistry will not have to be applied.
In a saucer or other vessel with a lid in which a hole is made, the bait is put - slices of raw potatoes, dried banana peel or skewered beef and placed on the ground overnight. Repeat the operation either until the reduction of the number, or until complete destruction. If you want to completely free the aquarium from the snails, then after 2 weeks, repeat the operation
I tried everything that is offered, except for chemistry, the most effective, with my hands, and you can still start fighting (fish), as they grow up, snails are their favorite food for them, I started a clown fight — so cool! the truth is not eating yet, little yet