How to clean the aquarium - the secrets and tricks
How many articles have been written about this, how much has been said ... but still people are interested in this question. Our site also has a fairly comprehensive article that HOW TO WASH THE AQUARIUM.
In this article I would like to pay attention to the ways and means of cleaning the aquarium.
So, first of all the walls (glass) of the aquarium are cleaned. This action should be carried out in the event that the walls of the aquarium rummaged, for example, green dots or brown patina. To do this, you can use special magnetic scrubs or brushes for aquariums. Like these ones:
Such magnetic brushes for an aquarium, very well cope with their task -
in just a few seconds, all algal green and brown fouling are scrubbed off the aquarium glass
However, it is worth noting that they need to work very carefully. Alas, if even a small grain of sand gets under the magnetic scraper, they can seriously scratch the glass of the aquarium. If you do not notice it in time, then you can end up with the Aquarium Kruger Aquarium - all scratched and spattered.
Such a careless or inattentive cleaning can lead not only to a violation of the aesthetic appearance of the aquarium, but also to the overgrowth of scratches into cracks, and these are already serious things, threatening with flood!!!
Therefore, if your aquarium is not very deep and there is no need to rub it to insanity, I recommend using softer and more elastic materials. For example, here are such a sponge for washing dishes:
Such a sponge has a soft and hard side, which is very convenient - it is possible to carry out a general rubbing with the soft side, and more polluted places to rub hard. With this method of cleaning the aquarium the risk of making a scratch is minimal. Firstly, because you carry out all the manipulations with your hand and feel all your actions are tactile. Secondly, even if the grain of sand falls under the sponge, it is unlikely to scratch the glass.
After using the sponge in the aquarium, rinse it under the tap and let it dry until the next time.
There is another "miracle thing", invented by mankind and which is widely used to clean the aquarium, her name - TOOTHBRUSH!
Toothbrush, an indispensable thing for cleaning the walls and green aquarium decor. It is especially useful in nano (small) aquariums and Amanovsky herbalists, where you need to work with small objects and carefully.
IT SHOULD BE NOTEDthat all aquariums are different, and each have different aquatic organisms, but the excessive appearance of green and brown spots or plaque in the aquarium is a signal not very good condition of the aquariumnamely the poor water quality. Green and brown patches are algae, lower plant organisms that appear at the first opportunity: mud, overpopulation of the aquarium, high concentrations of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, lack of sufficient living plant biomass, lack of proper water changes ... these are just some common causes greening the aquarium.
What to do in such cases? First, take advantage of algaecide preparations from algae, sold in all pet stores. For example, the widely used Tetra Aqua Algo Stop depot or, for example, Ermolaeva Algitsid + CO2 parole. Secondly, all the green decorations (stones, grottoes, plastic) can be removed from the aquarium and soaked in whiteness (bleach), then carefully rub them and after !!! very, very carefully !!! Rinse in clean, running water several times. Thirdly, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the excessive appearance of algae: settle the fish, increase the frequency and volume of water changes, reduce the light day, and so on.
By cleaning the aquarium, you can also include cleaning the filter and siphon aquarium bottom.
It is not difficult to wash the filter - it is necessary to carry out this manipulation as necessary, i.e. when the filter starts to work poorly. At the same time, it is desirable to wash sponges or other filtering materials in a basin with aquarium water. Thereby, you will cause less damage to the beneficial colony of bacteria that has formed in the filter. For an example of filter cleaning, see this ARTICLE.
As for the siphon of the aquarium bottom, such a manipulation should also be carried out as far as the aquarium floor is contaminated, “silted”. It is performed using an aquarium siphon, which can also be purchased at any pet store. See - The best siphons for aquarium - Forum aquarists.
After you have cleaned the walls and aquarium decorations, siphoned off the soil, washed and installed the filter and other equipment, replace or refill fresh, separated water and even after, wipe the aquarium from the outside with a dry cloth, while you can use a glass cleaner. Aquarium cleaning is over !!!
How to clean aquarium video examples
Which soil for the aquarium is better to choose?
BOTTOM AND GROUND AQUARIUM
And let's discuss with you such an important question as the arrangement of the aquarium bottom.
Such a question arises only at the initial stage of arrangement of the aquarium world - with the purchase of an aquarium. In the future, this topic becomes irrelevant and falls. But, often, at the beginning of time, mistakes made at the very beginning make themselves felt, as a result of which everything has to be corrected.The purpose of this article will be to draw the reader’s attention to the main accents and nuances of the selection, acquisition, preparation and placement of aquarium soil, as well as decorating the bottom of the underwater world.
CHOICE OF AQUARIUM GROUND
Both the foundation for the house and the aquarium soil play a crucial role in the life of the aquarium!
Novice aquarists very often pay attention only to the decorative properties of the soil and miss its most important function. Aquarian soil is a unique biological filter, powerful and irreplaceable by nothing else.
The fact is that after the launch of the aquarium in the ground colonies of beneficial bacteria settle, which process the waste products (hereinafter - PJ) of hydrobionts (hydrobionts - marine and freshwater organisms constantly living in the aquatic environment) into harmless substances. This process is also called the ammonia cycle - the cycle of transition of PJ into ammonia and then to its decomposition products - nitrites, nitrates.
In addition to biological filtration, the soil performs mechanical filtration. In addition, the soil is a substrate for rooting and feeding plants through the root system, the place of life of many microorganisms and some fish. The soil is even able to change the parameters of water in the right direction. That is why the choice of aquarium soil is of paramount importance! Quality, properly selected soil - is the key to a long and successful life of the aquarium!
Now imagine this situation. A novice, following stereotypes, takes a white, dyed, coarse-grained soil and puts it into the aquarium a couple of centimeters thick. Scatters seashells from above for beauty. What problems? Everyone has their own tastes and preferences. We do not in any way impose our position, but here are just some of the disadvantages of this situation:
1. Painted soil is not a porous material, that is, it has a minimum amount of usable area for colonization of beneficial bacteria. As a result, minimization of biological filtration in the soil and the accumulation of PJ in water.
2. The soil is laid in a thin layer, which also reduces its effectiveness.
3. Everyone knows that white color is very easily soiled. Over time, your ground will become light coffee, and if there is a surplus of algae in the aquarium, then green shades on the ground are not excluded. In addition, many drugs for the treatment of fish are synthetic dyes - methylene blue, malachite green. After applying them, the white primer is painted in the appropriate color. That is, the original aesthetic goal pursued by an aquarist is lost.
4. White colored primer is neutral in most cases, which is not the case for shells laid for beauty. They increase the hardness of the water, and this quality badly affects the life of aquarium plants and "soft-water" aquarium fish.
5. If the white soil is of natural origin, then, as a rule, it is rounded marble, and marble comes from limestone, which is perfectly soluble with organic acids, thereby increasing the rigidity of the aquarium water. Therefore, this soil can only be used for "hard water" fish.
So, from the above, a novice aquarist needs to draw the following conclusions:
- carefully, to the smallest detail, think about how you want to see your aquarium,
- to collect and analyze information on hydrobionts that you plan to inhabit,
- carefully consider the design.
And only after that, proceed to the selection and purchase of soil under the relevant requests. The benefit of the aquarium market now offers a wide range.
The key to a successful selection of aquarium soil and arrangement of the bottom of the aquarium is a clear view of the goals, objectives of the aquarium, as well as a common vision of the underwater kingdom.
In order to navigate, answer the following questions:
- Who will live in the aquarium, what fish, what crustaceans?
- Will there be live plants in your tank?
- What colors will your aquarium (lighting, background, general decor)?
- In the end, calculate the volume of aquarium soil needed for the whole of the bottom of the aquarium zastilaniya?Answers to these questions will help you make the right choice.
Selection of ground flooring for aquarium fish
It should be understood that aquarium soil for fish and for living plants are two different things. But, since most of the aquariums are being set up specifically for fish, apart from the “Dutch aquarium”, we will start with them.
Choosing aquarium soil for fish, you must take into account their characteristics and habits. Here in this small article is a couple of examples of the relationship of Goldfish and Cichlids to aquarium soil. GROUND IN THE AQUARIUM: what kind of soil is better for an aquarium! In general, it can be said that small fish can be laid fine-grained soil, and large large or mixed. But there are exceptions !!! For example, the aforementioned goldfish, even in the period of "youth" - when they are small, they dig very much and dig at the bottom. And if they lay sand or small pebbles, the aquarium will always be muddy, not to mention the fact that fish will swallow such a soil, from which they can die. As an example, the importance of taking into account the characteristics of fish can also give an example of the characteristics of loach fish, Acantoftalmus. These fish are the bottom inhabitants of the aquarium and love to dig into the ground. If you lay a coarse-grained soil in the aquarium, then the aquantophthalmos will be “hollowed about like a wall”. Of course, they will certainly not be killed, but they will not feel exactly comfortable, because you have deprived them of natural conditions and disturbed their lifestyle.
If you do not know the habits of the fish that you want to take - consult with the seller of the pet store beforehand, but rather read books or fish information on the Internet site.
The color scheme of the bottom for the fish.I think in this matter you decide. Analyzing data from the Internet, I would like to say that many recommend taking a dark ground, supposedly fish on it can be seen better. I do not know, did not check, I originally had a bed of dark blue soil. But it seems to me that the pink ground for pink fish is overkill. There must be a contrast.
The thickness of the soil layer for fishdoes not play a special role.Selection of bottom flooring - soil for aquarium plants As already mentioned, there is a significant difference between the soil for fish and the soil for aquarium plants. Aquarium plants use the bottom and bottom of the aquarium as a substrate for rooting and feeding. Thus, the soil for plants should perform not only decorative functions, but also the above.
As a general rule, the soil for aquarium plants should be fine-grained or medium-grained (up to 5 mm). In any case, in this matter you should start from the power of the root system of aquarium plants, which will be in your aquarium. An underdeveloped horse system requires fine-grained soil; for a strong root system, a medium or even coarse-grained fraction can be used.
The color scheme of soil for aquarium plants. It is said that for aquarium plants the ground should be dark, saying that the plants like warm ground, and the dark color of the bottom contributes to its warming. I do not know, I do not know, it seems to me that this factor is so insignificant that you should not pay attention to it. Moreover, the total heating of the aquarium for plants is enough.
The thickness of the aquarium soil for plants. It should be from 5 to 7 cm. More. Again, proceed from the size of the plant root system. The above bottom thickness is suitable for most aquarium plants.
One of the most important factors of soil for plants is its nutritional value. Most aquarium plants get nutrients from the ground. Therefore, it must be enriched by them. You can put peat, lumps of clay in the soil, as well as introduce special preparations that are sold in the pet store. You can read more about all this in this article. AQUARIUM PLANTS: let's talk about the benefits of plants for your aquarium! and Soil for aquarium plants!
Additional recommendations when choosing a soil
Choosing a primer in a pet store, pay attention to what it is made of. The best soil is a natural, natural soil, unpainted with nothing.
For example, this color primer is not very good.Preparation of aquarium soil Before you fill the aquarium bottom with soil, you need to prepare it. If you use the soil collected "on the street" it must be washed and boiled, so that every infection does not get into the aquarium. The soil purchased at the pet store is also washed or doused with boiling water.
A big mistake for novice aquarists is to wash the aquarium soil with soap or domesticostos. This is not worth doing, as it is very difficult to wash the chemistry out of the soil, as much as redder, it will take a lot of time and effort.
After the procedures, the soil, without waiting until it dries, can be poured to the bottom of the aquarium.
PLACEMENT OF THE AQUARIUM GROUND
As a rule, the soil in the aquarium is placed evenly. But you can distribute it so that it rises from the front wall of the aquarium to the back. This option of the bottom of the bogie will add volume and will look more impressive.
Many novice aquarists, sometimes spread out of the soil of different colors of the drawings at the bottom of the aquarium (tracks, sun and other compositions). Such drawings are not durable - the soil is gradually mixed and as a result there is nothing left of the "sun". There is nothing bad in this, of course. However, in the end, you can get a soil of a brownish color, which can spoil the overall appearance of the aquarium.
After the distribution of the soil, I install the decor, fill the aquarium, plant the plants and feed.
- If you decide not to buy the soil in the pet store, but to make it "do it yourself", you should consider that in such cases it is better to use gray sand or dark-colored gravel, which is taken from an environmentally friendly source (you should not take sand from the public beach) . Also for decorating the bottom, you can use volcanic gravel, crushed basalt. It is strictly forbidden to use river sand having a red or yellow color. This sand contains iron oxide, which is harmful to fish.
- As a general rule, it is undesirable to use soluble materials as soil, for example, limestone (hisses - increases water hardness).
- Its "silting" depends on the size of the soil grain.
- As a plant, a ground cover plant, you can use, for example, echinodorus tender, also known as rubra. The unpretentious plant, with which the beginner will cope.
- A full change of aquarium soil or washing is carried out about once every 5 years. Depends on the number of fish and plants.
- care for the aquarium bottom and the ground is in its periodic cleaning - siphon (siphons are sold in stores, you can do it yourself). Siphon is the simplest device (essentially a hose) in which a vacuum is created and due to which all the dirt from the bottom of the aquarium is sucked out along with the water. The frequency of cleaning depends on the degree of contamination of the aquarium bottom (all in different ways). The soil in the "freshly laid" aquarium can not be cleaned even for a year, and if there are aquarium plants, then in the soil, on the contrary, at first, fertilizing and fertilizer are introduced.
- Aquarium can be without soil. In this case, if you need plants they are planted in pots.Summing up, we can say that the most correct, the best soil for the aquarium bottom will be the one that was cleverly chosen or made.
In the photo examples of the design of the aquarium bottom
Video on the design of the aquarium soil, examples of bottom design and cleaning the soil
Recommendations for the care of the aquarium
It would seem that difficult to care for the aquarium? I fed the fish, and once a month I poured water, washed it with soap and boiled all the stuffing, filled it with clean water. Everything sparkles the first two days. The fish are probably happy, they only live for some reason not for long. Конечно, мы описали крайний случай дилетантского рвения, но давайте всё-таки разберём основные принципы ухода за нашим маленьким водоёмом.
Being a real ecosystem, the aquarium at the same time is small in size and is an open-loop system, and therefore unstable. Organic matter comes in from the outside in the form of at least fish food, it is inhabited by animals that feed, grow, produce waste and multiply, live plants that consume some substances from water and release other substances into it. Therefore, to maintain an artificial reservoir in the form it was conceived - clean, bright, smelling the freshness of a forest lake - some, sometimes significant, human effort is required.
List of events
Care of the aquarium usually takes 10--20 minutes daily and an hour and a half extra once a week.
Daily care procedures include:
- check equipment operation;
- inspection of fish;
- feeding fish (this is a very broad question and a topic for a separate article).
During the launch of the aquarium or when there are some global changes in it, for example, when populating a large number of large fish, replacing the biofilter filler or installing carbon dioxide supply equipment, it is also advisable to test the aquarium water daily, checking the level of ammonia, nitrite, pH and other parameters.
- water change;
- cleaning the soil from excrement, food residue and other waste, siphon, if necessary;
- cleaning the glass from algae;
- washing the filter (not always, depending on its type);
- care of plants (dressing, pruning).
Testing water once a week for nitrogen compounds, phosphates, hardness and acidity is also very useful for monitoring the condition of the aquarium, but in a stable and prosperous bank is not mandatory.
Fish inspection and equipment inspection
Inspection of fish is most convenient to carry out during feeding, when even the secretive swim out of their shelters. It is necessary to check whether all the fish are in place, whether their appearance has changed (there are no stains, sores, wounds, reddenings, and the like) and behavior (how active they are, willingly take food).
Equipment inspection is usually done in the morning after turning on the lamps. You need to make sure that the thermometer has the required temperature, the light is on the heater, the filter jet has the necessary power, the aerator or compressor, if any, is working with proper power, all the lights are burning exactly and brightly.
If everything is in order, tasty feed the fish and enjoy our wonderful beautiful and stable ecosystem until the day when it comes to clean it.
How to clean the aquarium?
During cleaning it is necessary to turn off electrical equipment. Only an external canister filter can be left on if its water intake hose is low enough and remains below the water level. As for the internal filter, if the cleaning is ordinary and does not take long, it can be left in the aquarium in the off state. If the cleaning is large, general, cleaning all the decorations, weeding and transplanting plants, draining a significant part of the water, the internal filter is placed in the drained aquarium water and turned on so that the bacteria colony does not die.At the time of cleaning the fish are usually not evicted from the aquarium.
First proceed to clean the glass. To do this, you can use different devices, each of which has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Long-handled scraper with permanent or replaceable metal razor blades. A very effective thing, but not suitable for cleaning Plexiglas aquariums, as it can scratch them. When choosing such a scraper, you need to pay attention to the strength of the handle (if it is too flexible, you will not succeed with the necessary force and at the right angle to press on the glass). In addition, the metal blade should not be longer than the plastic cover and stick out of it on the sides, as in this case, when cleaning around the corners, you can damage the silicone joints of the aquarium.
- Magnetic scraper is extremely handy when cleaning large and deep containers. Suitable for cleaning plexiglass. When choosing, it is necessary to take into account what thickness of glass the scraper is designed for, otherwise the power of the magnet may be insufficient and the scraper simply will not attract. Using this device, you must be very careful when cleaning the glass near the bottom, so that there is no pebble or grain of sand between the scraper and the glass. They will leave deep and visible scratches on the glass. Usual household sponge washcloth. Many aquarists use just such, but they are made from materials of different stiffness, and some are completely capable of leaving scratches on aquarium glass, which individually are almost invisible, but over time make the glass all the more cloudy.
- The usual bank plastic card has perfectly proved as a scraper. It does not spoil the glass, and its only drawback is the lack of a handle and, accordingly, some inconvenience of use.
Some aquarists recommend that the rear window of an aquarium should not be cleaned of algae, as it is usually almost completely hidden by decorations and plants, and the algal plaque usually does not spoil the appearance of the pond, and nitrates and nitrites from the water slowly consume. And if you lead several algae fish, then the raid will not remain either on the rear window or on the viewing window.
Now, when our glass is clean, it is the turn of the ground.
How to clean the soil in the aquarium?
Nothing complicated here. The soil is cleaned with the help of a siphon - a hose, which is wearing a funnel with a net. The latter is needed to avoid aquarium inhabitants getting into the hose. You can force the siphons of different models to suck in different ways: some have a special pear (in my opinion, this is the most convenient option), others need to be sharply lifted and lowered several times (usually it doesn't work), others still need to be sucked in by mouth water at the risk of swallowing it.
There are different points of view on how often a siphon should be held. Some lovers siphon soil weekly, believing that thereby contribute to its purity, better supply of oxygen and prevent its rotting. Others do it once a year or a year and a half, or even less often, explaining that with a siphon:
- damaged plant roots;
- colonies of nitrifying bacteria that live in the upper layers of the soil die;
- the suspension of organic matter and nitrates rises into the water, which is food for algae;
- Yes, and in itself sludge, removed when siphon, is a valuable fertilizer.
In my opinion, weekly soil cleaning with a siphon is necessary in aquariums where there are no live plants or very few of them. In the same reservoirs that are densely planted with vegetation, including those with developed roots, this can be done less often - once every 3-4 months, and for scheduled Sunday cleaning, simply siphon 1–2 cm from the ground, without touching it, removing excess dirt from the surface, especially in places feeding fish.
How to change the water in the aquarium?
The frequency and intensity of water changes depend on the biological load, that is, on the quantity, size and voracity of the aquarium inhabitants, as well as on their water quality requirements: it is clear that the concepts of cleanliness differ from the discus and, for example, spur-footed frogs.
With the average population of the reservoir and the fastidiousness of its inhabitants, substitution is usually carried out on a third, quarter or fifth of the volume every week. Ideally, to establish a substitution schedule, it is necessary to test the water in the aquarium and determine its nitrate content. It should be at the level of no more than 10-30 mg / l. Accordingly, if the concentration of nitrates in water is higher, then water must be changed more often.
To carry out a substitution, it is necessary to prepare water with the same or very close parameters (temperature, acidity) as in the aquarium. Most aquatic animals prefer water that settled for at least 24 hours. If you can not defend the water, you can use air conditioners, for example, Tetra Aqua Safe or Dennerle Avera.
Part of the water from the aquarium is drained using a siphon or hose, the end of which must be placed near the bottom. In order to easily navigate how much water you need to drain, it is convenient to make a mark on the glass. Fresh water is poured with a hose, bucket or other container, while the jet is directed not to the ground, which is thus easily eroded, but, for example, to the grotto or placed on the bottom of the saucer.
How to clean the filter in the aquarium?
The aquarium filter has several functions. The most important: it must trap particles of dirt and turbidity (dead organic matter, food residues, mineral turbidity from the substrate) and be home to biofilter bacteria. The accumulated dirt in the cleaning process should be removed, while the colony of bacteria should be left as safe as possible. These conditions determine the rules for cleaning the filter.First question: when is it time to clean the filter? It is easy to determine by the power of its jet. Having bought a new filter or having its next general cleaning, notice or remove on video what kind of power the jet has, you can see it, for example, by the vibrations of nearby plants. If the jet is weakened, it's time to wash the filter.
Usually, internal sponge filters are washed once a week, as are often sponges of internal filters, where there are compartments with porous fillers (these compartments themselves often do not need to bother!). External canister filters are cleaned less often, once in 6--10 weeks, in some models the prefilter sponges, parts of which perform preliminary mechanical filtration, are washed weekly.
In any case, the filtering materials are carefully washed and rinsed in water drained from the aquarium in order to minimally damage the colony of nitrifying bacteria. The same rotor head is washed and cleaned with the same water with a cotton swab or toothbrush - the engine compartment of the filter. After cleaning, the filter is placed in the aquarium as soon as possible and turned on.
How to tidy up the plants?
Usually, fertilizing plants is carried out once a week, if necessary. In addition, the leaves are covered with algae or eaten by fish and snails, the tops grown from the water are cut off, you can trim or weed out overgrown bushes and grass.
These are the basic rules for caring for an aquarium. Of course, sometimes there are situations when additional, more complex interventions and manipulations are required, but if you master these basic principles, you will gradually be able to easily master all the other knowledge and skills.
Video lesson about proper care of the aquarium:
How to clean and wash the aquarium: the rules, methods, video examples
HOW IS THE RIGHT TO WASH THE AQUARIUM?
In this topic I will try to briefly describe the process of general cleaning of the aquarium world. The point is not tricky !!! But before this event, I think, it would not be superfluous to find out: how to do it correctly, find out how often you need to wash the aquarium, what to wash, sequence of actions, etc.You need to start a conversation with the fact that there is a big difference between washing an aquarium when it is purchased and a planned cleaning of an already established aquarium or in case of emergency. Therefore, we divide the article into these three components.
Washing and cleaning a new - purchased aquarium
Before you install and populate a new aquarium, you must rinse it out or rinse it out. This is due to the fact that, like any product - the aquarium does not know where it was before the purchase, it is not known who touched it and what happened to it.
For this, we carry an aquarium in the bath. I recommend to prepare a place in advance: prepare clean rags or towels, prepare a surface where you can put a washed aquarium, sponge and soda. The fact is that even a small aquarium is a rather weighty, glass-clumsy thing, and when it becomes wet, then in addition to everything, it also becomes slippery. In this state, the aquarium is not very convenient to turn, raise, carry out other manipulations.
Having prepared everything, put the aquarium in the bath and rinse it, preferably with hot water. We take baking soda and kitchen sponge for washing dishes and carefully but gently wash the aquarium with soda (like jars before seaming).
Well, and then everything should be thoroughly washed several times. If the aquarium allows, then gently turn it over on its side and use a shower spray to flush everything.
VERY IMPORTANT!!! WASH ALL EVERYTHING AS POSSIBLE AND MORE CONFIRMED WITH NO SODA REMAINS
After we get the aquarium out of the bath and put it on a previously prepared surface, I recommend using sticks or towels in order to prevent the aquarium from slipping out of my hands. May need the help of a second person.
And now, the aquarium is ready for further installation, which you can read HERE.RECOMMENDATIONS AND TIPS:
- the aquarium can be washed and cleaned with any chemistry: soap, homeostos, comet. However, you should understand that the more "vigorous" the chemistry, the harder it is to wash it. Chemistry residues are not allowed. Since the new aquarium does not need to be thoroughly cleaned, it is not worth washing it in several times and washing it with a variety of cleaning products.
- simultaneously with the new aquarium, wash immediately bought soil and decor. Thus, you facilitate your work. Soil and decor is cleaned with hot water or boiling water. You can add a little liquid soap and rinse with it. At the same time the soaped soil is thoroughly washed !!! It is worth mentioning that in this article, under the ground, I understand quartz, gravel, sand other "colored chips". Special substrates should not be washed.
- if you are the owner of a new large aquarium, then all of the above manipulations are carried out at the installation site. In this case, flush pumped out with a hose, it is better not to use chemistry.
Planned cleaning and washing aquariumPlanned and global cleaning of the aquarium is carried out by experienced aquarists. Perhaps the most important question here is how often do you need to do it? I hasten to happily inform you that often you do not need to completely wash the aquarium. This cleaning is carried out about once every 5 years. This period is strictly individual and depends on the number of fish and plants in the aquarium.
Planned cleaning of the aquarium is carried out more carefully than washing a new aquarium. Such an aquarium is washed with chemistry several times, growths are mechanically removed and shaken off, the aquarium is subjected to heat treatment. After washing such an aquarium, it is advisable to dry for at least a day.
Wash and clean the aquarium in emergency situations - after illness and treatment of fish
Unfortunately, it happens that an infection gets into an aquarium. As a result, the fish get sick and need treatment, and the aquarium needs total disinfection.
In such cases, a simple sink will not do. Infectious aquariums are poured daily with disinfectants to the brim. The easiest way to fill the aquarium with bleach or other household disinfectants. Pay attention - DISINFECTING MEANS !!! Not all household chemicals have disinfectant properties, read the instructions for the tool.
Recommend to use: potassium permanganate solution, chloramine solution, formalin solution, bleach solution, hydrochloric or sulfuric acid solution.
When mycobacteriosis is recommended to fill the aquariums with washing powder at the rate of a pound of powder per 30 liters of water.
In addition, the entire aquarium inventory is subjected to heat treatment - boiling.
After disinfection, I also recommend putting the aquarium to dry for at least 24 hours.
Since some people in the "Aquarium Wash" put the concept of weekly cleaning of the aquarium, we will highlight this issue.
Weekly washing and cleaning of the aquarium
When cleaning the aquarium every week, the following procedure should be strictly followed:
1. Get the equipment: filter, aeration, thermostat. Everything is washed, put aside.
2. If necessary, the care and cutting of plants.
3. Clean the walls of the aquarium. Sponge or special scrapers wipers.
4. If necessary, siphon soil. It is not necessary to clean the soil weekly, especially if there are live plants in the aquarium.
5. Only after that the water is replaced: the old water is drained and freshly added is added.
6. Install the equipment back cleaned.
Do not forget to clean the aquarium cover and the lamps from the inside at least once a month.
After all the manipulations, the aquarium is wiped with a dry cloth, stains can be removed with a window cleaner.
Observing the above simple rules the process of washing an aquarium will not be difficult and tedious, and the result will be as efficient as possible.Useful video, how to clean and wash the aquarium
If the water dimmed after starting the aquarium
After the first start of the aquarium, sometimes the water becomes cloudy, thus acquiring an uncharacteristic color. In itself, turbidity is not a terrible phenomenon, it is a signal that something is wrong in the water and there is a need to do preventive procedures to eliminate the problem. Мутная вода после запуска появляется из-за ряда причин, изучив которые, резервуар можно привести в порядок.
Какая водная среда характерна для новых аквариумов
Через несколько дней после установки и запуска вода в аквариуме резко помутнела. Почему так происходит?
- Дело в том, что в "несозревших" резервуарах еще не образовалась биологическая среда, полезные бактерии недостаточно распространились, и находятся в состоянии "стресса". While they multiply massively, and after a few weeks, their colonies will adapt to the new reservoir. In old aquariums, bacteria do not multiply abundantly.
- The water in the new aquarium also becomes cloudy from the light particles of soil, which rises under the influence of frequent water changes. When pouring water directly on the ground, its pellets rise sharply, floating for a long time. This process creates a visual turbidity of water. To avoid this, it is necessary to make a careful and gradual injection of fluid into the tank. After this, the sediment will "calm down" and settle to the bottom. Purchased fish are unlikely to create a "hurricane" in a new home - they are shy and often hide in shelters. Water with sand sediment is harmless to fish and plants.
- Newbies in aquarism can overfeed the fish, because of what food remains to swim in the middle layers of water, or settle to the bottom, mixing with the ground. Later, putrefactive bacteria that produce toxins multiply in the water. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites - their decay products, which can poison all the inhabitants of the aquarium. It is better to give pets less food than to overfeed.
- Why do small particles of white precipitate appear in water? To purify water from turbidity, some owners of home aquariums immediately add water purification chemicals to the water. Before being introduced into the tank, they must be diluted in a separate container until completely dissolved. These substances, in addition to filtration, change the parameters of water. White sediments appear on snags, decorations and in the water itself, and the fish are not feeling well. In this case, pets are better moved to another capacity.
Watch the video about why the water in the aquarium grows cloudy.
- New water may cloud due to reproduction of single-celled algae. After the launch of the reservoir, where the lighting is too bright and the aeration and filtration system is poorly adjusted, the algae actively multiply, causing dregs.
- It is necessary to remember about ciliates - microscopic orderlies of water. In the early days, they also multiply rapidly, giving the water a milky white color. At this time it is impossible to colonize the fish, for a start let the parameters of the reservoir stabilize.
- The gray color of the water after start-up indicates insufficient washing of the gravel before laying. It is necessary to do the washing until it becomes crystal clear in running water. If the sediment does not disappear, it means that the stone contains impurities of phosphates, silicates and heavy metals. For accurate problem detection, it is better to use litmus paper with an indicator of an alkaline environment. Perhaps, it is worth getting rid of such gravel, replacing it with quality.
- After the launch, the water became dull brown, what to do? The reason is obvious - wooden decorations can paint water, and the use of peat to soften water or filter the soil imposes its brownish color on it. Tannin and humus are safe for fish, but they change the pH level, which may not be suitable for some types of pets. The following actions - get the snags from the water, and soak them for several days in infused running water. Fish evict, and replace the soil.
- If the water is dimmed and painted in an unnatural color (pink, black, blue) - look at the color of the soil and stones. Activated charcoal will help to bring water into ordinary color - it discolors the paint.
Recommendations for the operation of recently launched aquariums
After a new life in the aquarium wakes up, you need to do the necessary procedures so that no turbidity appears in it.
- In a new aquarium, do not partially refresh the water for 2-3 weeks until the microflora has stabilized. A complete change of water is harmful for both fish and plants.
- In order to avoid organic sediment at the bottom of the aquarium, you need to do fasting days for the fish. Give the fish as much food as they eat in 1-2 minutes. Unfinished food residues can be collected personally using a special siphon.
See how to properly feed aquarium fish.
- Install a quality filter and aerator in the aquarium. Often, turbid water appears due to a poor cleaning system.
- Use heavy soil with a sinking fraction. Some types of sand or gravel are not able to sink to the bottom even a few days after the installation of the reservoir. Such a ground is deadly to all inhabitants of the reservoir. Either rinse it thoroughly or use coarser sand.
Causes of green sediment in the tank
Why did the water go turbid and turned green - what to do about it? This question is often asked by novice aquarium holders. It has a simple answer - strong growth of algae (cyanobacteria). Turning on the abundant lighting above the reservoir, they thrive. Turbid environment with microscopic algae does not harm the fish, but it causes an ugly aesthetic appearance.
Daphnia and shade do an excellent job with water blooming. Transfer the tank to a shaded area where the algae will be sensitive and stop growing. Then start daphnia, but only so that the fish did not eat them. A large amount of daphnia can eliminate green water. Also, algae are eaten by common snails, which in a couple of days will clear the pond to shine.
Why on the walls of the new tank are visible small bubbles with air? The answer is: this is all due to untreated tap water, from which chlorine has not eroded. Such water smells sharply and has a slightly white tint. If the water for the aquarium correctly insist and do not fill it early, then this effect will not.
It is not recommended to settle the fish in insufficiently infused water - excess air is harmful for them. The circulatory system of waterfowl processes this air into bubbles, blocking the walls of blood vessels. As a result of this process, the fish get gas embolism and die. The first symptoms of the disease: edema of the whole body, rich dark color. Later, the fish begin to swim on their sides, do not let anyone near them. If you do not evict the fish in time, they will get worse. Restore the normal gas balance in this water, then the animals will survive and regain a healthy, beautiful look.
Cleaning the soil in the aquarium: how to clean the soil
In addition, the soil is a substrate for plants, providing all the necessary conditions for the proper functioning of various microorganisms, whose main task is the processing of waste products of fish. However, the soil performs the function of a simple mechanical filter that absorbs a variety of microscopic particles and suspensions.
Ground treatment for aquarium
Before you put the soil in the aquarium, you need to prepare for this.
First of all, it should be thoroughly rinsed. It is necessary to wash the soil until the water is absolutely clear and transparent without the slightest signs of turbidity. After that, the soil is recommended to boil for 15-20 minutes.
The next stage - the calcination of the soil. This process will destroy the organic matter remaining in the substrate, which can cause a variety of diseases in fish. For this, the soil is laid out evenly on a baking sheet and left in a preheated oven for about half an hour.
The final stage of soil treatment is its processing with slightly warm 25% hydrochloric acid. After this procedure, the soil must be rinsed several times under running water.
After the treatment of the soil, it is recommended to leave it for about a month in an unpopulated aquarium in order for the bacteria that could remain in it to die.
It is also necessary to take into account that the soil that has gone through all the stages of preparation loses the lion’s share of its nutrients and in order for the plants to be rooted in the ground not to have hunger, it is necessary to add fertilizer regularly to it.
How to clean the soil in the aquarium
Soil is a place of accumulation of a variety of biological waste, such as: waste products of fish, dead plant parts, food remains. If you do not take any action, then soon the ground will begin to silt, and the aquarium will turn into a real swamp.
The simplest cleaning of the soil in the aquarium is a regular replacement of a part of the water with simultaneous siphoning of the substrate. To replace the best fit ordinary tap water, settled for 1-2 days. It is necessary to avoid water changes in the amount of more than 30% of the total volume of the aquarium - this can cause irreparable harm to its inhabitants.
The regularity with which it is necessary to clean the soil in an aquarium is strictly individual and depends on many factors: the type of fish, the volume and frequency of their feeding, the presence of snags, the type and condition of living plants in the aquarium, the height of the soil and the number of hydrobionts per total volume of the aquarium.
By adhering to these simple rules for the treatment and maintenance of the soil, you can significantly extend the viability of your aquarium, thereby giving yourself the pleasure of observing the life of the colorful underwater world without leaving your apartment.
After what time do I need to change the soil in the aquarium?
Depending on what reason to change.
If you purchased a new one and you like it more than the old one - to change it when you have time and desire.
For disinfection - change or disinfect.
During general cleaning - clean off salt deposits - rinse, boil, soak in soda, clean large stones with a brush.
With a monthly cleaning - to remove the remnants of food, the extremes of the fish - siphon the bottom.
If you do not want to bother and clean the soil - you can change it every time.
I did not change the soil for about 10 years. Aquariums changed, and the soil and the fish remained the same. The only thing from time to time I add (or change) various stones and decorative elements.
From my experience I know that not changing more than a year is bad. Organic matter accumulates in the ground and maintaining balance is becoming increasingly difficult. I usually change (more precisely, take out all the soil and rinse it thoroughly with hot water or boil it) after 9-10 months. And to wash the soil with a weekly partial change of water with a special siphon still does not give complete cleaning, since it is impossible to siphon under the plants so as not to damage the roots.
Why does the water in the aquarium with fish quickly grow cloudy? How often should it be changed?
I do not change the water, but replace 10–15% every week, combining it with a ground siphon and fresh water topping up. It gets cloudy, you need to understand why. Do not get carried away with dry food, alternate with natural-frozen moth. And even better not to feed than to feed.
Usually, the water becomes cloudy due to the huge number of rotting bacteria that eat excess food. When feeding fish, it is important that they eat all the food in 10-15 minutes - everything that is not eaten should be removed from the aquarium. Once a week, siphon the soil with the help of a special siphon device (sold in the pet store and it is easy to do it yourself), at the same time about 1/5 of the water is drained and the fresh water is added.
It is not necessary to change the water entirely in the aquarium, it causes biological balance and leads to disease and death of fish and plants.
And, perhaps, you have an excess of fish with a lack of aquarium volume.
For the first time, flooded water always becomes cloudy first, and then becomes transparent. Thus, the aquarium flora and fauna adapts its space. Disorder only when muddy water begins to stink. Water is poured only once. And then add as evaporation.
Well, the reasons for the many-problem start-up, overfeeding, overcrowding and estesSSno wrong care. For the exact answer, pliz in the section to fortunetellers. Without details it is impossible to answer. Defendants Mlyn, you will add water as you evaporate on the advice of Natalia Pusher-pick the fish, not immediately ... with time, as the concentration of ammonia increases.
Turbid water in an aquarium can be for various reasons, but it is not always easy to deal with the clouding of the aquarium. Turbidity in aquarium water may be due to suspended small particles of soil, which may appear after careless pouring water into your tank.
This is an innocuous clouding, and it does not cause significant harm to the aquarium inhabitants, after a certain time the turbidity will disappear by itself, due to its subsidence to the bottom. The aquarium will be cloudy from the appearance of a large putrefactive bacteria in it, and they are harmful both to the fish and to the plants in the aquarium. The appearance of such harmful bacteria in consequence, improper feeding of fish and excessive density of settlement of aquarium fish. For high-quality filtration of water in the aquarium, you should pour washed, coarse sand, a layer of 4 -5 cm, preferably a dark color. You do not need to completely change the water in the aquarium, periodically siphon the soil with a special siphon for cleaning the aquarium soil, removing all the dirt from the bottom of the aquarium, while adding 20% of fresh water, preferably the same temperature. In a properly equipped aquarium, biological balance is established and it stands for years without changing water. Muddy aquarium can be from improper feeding. Improper feeding leads to the most basic problems. From dry feed water in the aquarium very quickly deteriorates. Therefore, you should abandon the dry feed. If you still feed the fish with dry food, then you should feed them a little and make sure that all food is eaten immediately. The diet of fish should be varied, and in its composition should include live food. One of the best choices of live food is a bloodworm. It should be fed at the rate of 3 5 worms per day (small adult fish).
If none of the above mentioned things helped, try not to feed your fish for 2-3 days, this will not cause any harm to the fish, and the bacteria will die during this time. Remember the important rule: it is better to underfeed than to feed. Subject to these conditions, the water in the aquarium will be transparent. Chemical and biological processes in the aquarium occur constantly, as a result of all this, some plant organisms and animals are born, while others die. In the water column of the aquarium, there are many bacteria that are regularly processed by the remnants of food, decay products and plant activity and fish excrement. In turn, the beneficial bacteria are food for ciliates and other microorganisms. Water turbidity can occur in an aquarium where there are a lot of fish and few aquarium plants, and the water is not blown or filtered. An aquarium with such data is a good breeding ground for the mass reproduction of bacteria and unicellulars. In this case, you need to quickly precipitate extra fish into another aquarium. The reason for the turbidity of the water can also be fish, digging in the ground. This turbidity is harmless, and it is easy to eliminate by increasing the top layer of cleanly washed soil at the bottom of the aquarium. Such turbidity is harmless, and it is easy to eliminate, increasing the top layer of purely washed sand at the bottom of the aquarium. If you comply with all of these conditions, the water in your tank will be clear, clean and healthy. Water is replaced depending on the number of living plants and the density of fish planting according to the rules 1 time in 7–10 days (if the water is clean and the fish feel good then this procedure can be carried out 1 time per month and nothing bad will happen). There is a rule - the less you will climb into the aquarium, the longer the fish lives.