Siphon for aquarium do it yourself
Aquarium soil should be cleaned, and this statement no one in doubt. The only thing that needs to be decided is how to clean it: to make a siphon on your own or purchase the finished product in the sales network? Let's try to figure it out.
Why do you need to siphon the ground?
It is quite natural that every house is periodically cleaned with the obligatory mopping of floors. The aquarium is the house where numerous tenants live, who leave various trash as a result of their activities: food remains, bitten off vegetation, excrement. This garbage settles at the bottom of the aquarium, mixing with the bottom substrate. Therefore, in the fish house should be cleaned.
Its frequency depends on how many residents live in such a glass house, how much rubbish they leave behind. Someone cleans the bottom of the aquarium weekly, and some do general cleaning twice or even once a month.
As people in their homes clean the floors with the help of various household equipment, so in the aquarium the cleaning is done using special tools, one of which is a siphon for cleaning the soil.
Siphon for aquarium: principle of operation
What is siphon? In simple terms - this is an ordinary pump. The word siphon can also denote a vacuum phenomenon at the end of a pipe. Actually, both of these concepts quite fully disclose the meaning of the siphon as a tool for pumping out liquid.
And in our case, the liquid (water) is pumped out along with dirt and waste. It follows from the above that the main part of this device is a suction tube.
The basic principle of operation of any aquarium siphon is quite simple:
- one end of the hose or tube falls close to the aquarium soil,
- and the other should be as low as possible from the bottom on the outside of the can above any net capacity.
It remains only to create a vacuum in the tube, but it is not difficult. Any experienced motorist at least once in his practice pumped out gasoline from the gas tank of a car with an ordinary rubber hose, creating a vacuum in it when air was sucked in by the mouth. Similarly, you can do when you start aquarium vacuum cleaner.
Water with debris flows into the tube by gravity and is discharged into the prepared container. It remains only to let the dirty water settle, drain the purified water back into the aquarium, and remove the dirt.There is nothing difficult, and all other improvements and auxiliary devices of professional siphons for cleaning the soil can be attributed to the results of scientific and technological progress.
Professional gadgets: quick review
Manufacturers of aquarium equipment offer a wide selection of siphons for cleaning various types of soil - expensive and cheap; mechanical, electric, battery-powered and powered by a household network; low, medium and high power; with valves and sumps, etc. Sometimes it is difficult to immediately understand which device to buy.
The most important thing is not to rush and thoughtfully determine exactly the brand that is suitable for each specific case.
EHEIM. If the aquarist is a fan of high-tech technical systems, he will certainly pay attention to the products of the famous German company EHEIM. The electric siphon EHEIM (with batteries), with a weight of only 630 g, effectively cleans the soil without draining the aquarium water; it immediately returns the purified water to the aquarium.
The edges of the suction tube have a serrated perforated shape, which allows saving the roots of aquatic plants. Designed such a device for aquariums with a capacity of up to 200 liters with a wall height of up to 0.5 meters.Disadvantages: high price and fast discharge of batteries. By the way, if you install a special adapter instead of batteries, the power comes from a household electrical outlet, and the second drawback disappears.
Hagen - German company, which is traditionally among the leaders in the production of siphons. The line of cleaning devices of this company is very large, and prices can satisfy almost any buyer. Thus, the Hagen Marina Aqua Vac electrical device is not only capable of effectively and gently cleaning the bottom substrate, but is also an excellent aid in carrying out water changes due to the 7-meter inlet hose that is included in the package. True, the cost of such a device is quite high, about 6 thousand rubles.
For those who want to save on the siphon, this company offers a compact device, the launch of which is carried out with the help of an ordinary rubber pear. In this case, a separate tank installed below the level of the aquarium is needed to collect the draining water. The price of such a siphon is only within 600 rubles.
Tetra. They also found their buyers and devices from the well-known company TETRA, which provided aquarists with siphons of various capacities. For example, the TETRA GC50 model is capable of clearing the ground well even in a 400-liter aquarium, while the GC30 model is very convenient for small-sized cans - up to 60 liters. Naturally, the cost of such cleaners is different, but in general TETRA siphons are a budget option with a sufficiently high German quality.
AQUAEL. Experts also recommend products from the Polish company AQUAEL. Light, reliable and effective soil cleaners of this brand have long been serious rivals of German siphons. One of the main advantages of the Poles is a lower price.However, if there is no desire to be engaged in the choice of this or that firm technical device, then the simplest cleaner of an aquarium can be easily made independently at home.
Making a siphon with your own hands
To make such a device by yourself is not so difficult. It is only necessary to select the appropriate hose and attach a plastic bottle cut in half to it. However, it is necessary to take into account a number of features.
First of all, the hose must be transparent so that you can see how the garbage is drawn into it.
Secondly, the diameter of the hose section should be slightly larger than the largest particle of the bottom substrate so that these particles do not get stuck inside the system. It must be understood, however, that a too large diameter of the hose will facilitate more rapid pumping of water from the aquarium.
The plastic bottle must be cut in half and the neck securely attached to the edge of the hose. After that, the hose is lowered into the aquarium so that the cut of the bottle touches the ground. The other end of the hose should be lowered into a container located outside and below the aquarium.
It remains only to create a mouth through the mouth, and you can begin to siphon the soil, holding the neck of the bottle in the vicinity of the bottom. Moreover, the distance from the edge of the socket to the surface of the ground should be empirically selected so that the siphon draws as little as possible of the substrate particles. If this does happen, it is necessary to slightly raise the socket, the thrust from the ground surface will decrease, and the substrate that falls into the system will fall out.
In the process of cleaning water with garbage will gradually merge into the external container. After the end of the whole procedure, let the fused water stand for 30 minutes, strain and then drain the purified water back into the aquarium.
Siphon as a technical system for cleaning aquarium soil does not pretend to any structural complexity. The simplest cleaning device can be made from the improvised material independently. But is it necessary if the mechanical convenient commercial version is quite inexpensive? Everyone should find the answer to this question independently.
Siphon for aquarium
Each aquarium needs periodic cleaning with water replacement, because without this procedure, all aquarium inhabitants may simply die. But pouring and pouring water into an aquarium with a ladle is long and inconvenient, so aquarists use a simpler way to drain water using a device like an aquarium siphon. Its use allows not only to quickly drain the water, but also to do it without catching the fish.
Cleaning the aquarium using a siphon
siphon for aquarium
Novice aquarists, faced with the need to purchase a siphon, think that this is a very simple device that does not require instructions. But after the purchase, many have questions about the operation, which proves the need for knowledge of working with the siphon. Based on this, it is necessary to understand the device of this device and methods of its use.
The aquarium siphon is a simple construction consisting of a straight or corrugated flexible tube and a funnel, which is sealed to one of the ends of the tube. Using the device can be done in two ways, but the first one requires quickness:
- So, the first way to "run" the siphon is most familiar to drivers who drain gas from the tank with a drain hose. So do the siphon by inserting a funnel attached to the hose into the ground, and lowering the free side of the hose into a bucket or other container to collect dirty water. After that, the air in the tube is sucked by a person so that water can fill the vacant space. But just before the start of the water, it is necessary to sharply release the opening of the tube so that the liquid can flow freely into the bucket. If you do not show quickness, then you can sip polluted aquarium water.
- And some aquarists who know how to siphon the ground safely go a longer way. In this case, they siphon completely immersed in the aquarium, so that its entire cavity is filled with water. And then carefully, without removing the side of the hose with a funnel, lift the other side of the hose, tightly holding the hole with your finger. This is done so that the water does not flow back into the aquarium when the outlet is located above the water level in the glass container. After the clamped side of the hose is lowered into the bucket and open the hole so that the water began to drain. Knowing how the professionals in the aquarium siphon up the soil, beginners will be able to quickly overcome this not a tricky business, but how they choose to implement it at their own discretion.
Features of cleaning the aquarium siphon
Theoretically, knowing how to clean an aquarium with a siphon, the beginner lover of the water kingdom in practice faces problems that would not arise if he knew some of the nuances of this procedure:
- in the process of cleaning the aquarium soil it is necessary to ensure that the end of the hose without a funnel, lowered to drain into a bucket, must be below the water level in the aquarium, and the funnel itself should not even be partially removed from the water;
- water pressure will depend on how low the “drain” side of the hose will be relative to the water level in the aquarium;
- the funnel attached to the hose must be inserted into the soil throughout its depth for better cleaning of the soil layer;
- the siphon for cleaning the aquarium should not be chosen anyhow, but in accordance with the capacity of the water world, since a large siphon is not suitable for a small aquarium and a small model will tire the aquarist by long draining large amounts of water;
- In addition, a small siphon in a large aquarium will not be able to lift the ground in the funnel to clean it, and a large device from a small tank may suck fry and small fish due to the powerful outflow of water.
Buy a siphon or do it yourself?
So, on the basis of the above, it becomes clear how to use the siphon. It remains the case for shopping trips in search of this simple but necessary fixture. Search for a siphon, of course, is necessary in the store, which sells aquariums and additional equipment to them. Often in such places you can find an electric siphon, which greatly simplifies the work of draining dirty water. This model works on batteries, providing power to a small motor.
At first glance, everything is easy and simple, but what should those people who do not have specialized stores nearby do? In this case, you can make a homemade siphon for the aquarium, which will cope with the task better than the factory. For this you need to get a rubber flexible hose and a small plastic bottle. It is worth considering that the device created by your hands will have to be used according to the first method, since you don’t easily attach a pear to pump water.
Knowing how to make a siphon for an aquarium with his own hands, an aquarist relieves himself of the cost of buying a device, but if there is an opportunity to buy it, then is it worth the trouble? And yet, how the siphon aquarium decides every owner of the water world itself, because the situations, needs and opportunities are different.
Siphon for aquarium do it yourself
Every aquarist knows that not only water but also soil needs cleaning the aquarium. In order to eliminate all accumulated garbage from sand or stones, use a special device - a siphon for cleaning aquariums. With it, you can easily remove the remnants of uneaten food, rotting algae particles and waste products of all underwater inhabitants. This cleaning is very useful, because it prevents the acidification of the soil, the formation of harmful hydrogen sulfide and ammonia in it.
When siphons for cleaning aquariums did not exist, the soil had to be removed, washed, and then poured back into place. However, this procedure had an adverse effect on the vital activity of beneficial bacteria in water. Now this problem is solved.
Considering how the siphon for the aquarium works, it will not be too difficult to clean up the home underwater kingdom. It is enough to immerse the hose in the ground and blow into the tube. On the reverse of the return, all the garbage along with the water is poured into a vessel placed at the other end of the hose. At this time, the soil rises up to half of the wide pipe, and then safely sinks to the bottom.
Today, pet stores have a large variety of different types of siphons. However, their price is sometimes not at all attractive. Therefore, the most intelligent aquarists decided to protect themselves from unnecessary expenses and came up with homemade siphons for aquariums.
The design of such a device is quite simple. In the original, it is a conventional hose to which a wide tube is attached at the end. Many are trying to improve the model, and for convenience they attach an ordinary medical bulb to the edge of the hose, so that it does not have to blow into it, but it was enough to squeeze the bulb only several times. However, the effectiveness of this does not increase.
The most important element in the assembly of a siphon for an aquarium is a hose. For a capacity of 100 liters, fit a tube with a diameter of 10 mm. If you use thicker, then during the "cleaning" you can not notice how much of the water will pour into the bucket before you clean the bottom. To protect you from such troubles in our master class, we will show you how to make a 50 l siphon for an aquarium out of items that everyone probably has in the house. For this we need:
- hose diameter of 5 mm - 1 m;
- plastic water bottle - 1 pc;
- 10 dice syringe - 2 pcs;
- insulating tape;
- brass hose outlet - 1 pc;
Making a siphon for an aquarium with your own hands
- First we take the syringes, remove the piston from them and remove the needle.
- Use a knife on both sides to cut off all the projections from a single syringe to form a tube.
- We take the second syringe and cut only the part into which the piston entered with a knife. In the place where the needle was attached, cut a hole with a diameter of 5 mm.
- The resulting tubes are joined together into one using electrical tape. In this part of the syringe with a hole should be outside.
- Insert the hose into the same hole.
- We take a plastic bottle and cut a 4.5 mm thick hole in the cap.
- Insert the brass outlet under the hose into the hole.
- Connect the other end of the hose to the brass outlet.
- Our homemade siphon for aquarium ready.
In order for our device to work, it is enough to immerse the wide end of the hose in the ground and squeeze the bottle. When the return traction appears, the garbage from the bottom will rise up through the hose, the bottle can be unscrewed from the cap, the end of the hose lowered into the bucket, and voila, a self-made siphon for the aquarium has come into action. After such cleansing, the amount of water that has spilled with the garbage must be replenished fresh.