ABC care for aquarium fish
All aquarists, both beginners and experienced, it is important to know how to care for aquarium fish correctly. In fact, their care begins with the purchase of an aquarium, because of its shape, size, material depends on how comfortable the life of pets will be. Aquascape, feeding, compatibility with other aquatic organisms are also important conditions for the harmonious life of the fish. To ensure proper care of the fish at home, you need to familiarize yourself with some rules.
To choose the right aquarium for fish, consider the following recommendations:
- In a spacious tank, fish care will be easier. The products of their vital activity in a close aquarium quickly decompose, poisoning the water. In a spacious tank more water that will be mixed. Cleaning can be done less frequently.
- The size of the tank depends on the type of fish and their size. Before buying an aquarium, you should know which pets will be settled there. Large and gregarious fish require a large amount of swimming space. At 5-centimeter fish need 10 liters of water.
- Attention should be paid to aquascape. This shelter in the form of caves, moles, clay pots, pipes, rocks, snags and plants. Fish with bulging eyes do not need a lot of scenery due to the threat of injury.
- The shape of the tank should be rectangular. This aquarium is easier to clean at home.
- Ground, plants, snags, rocks and stones must be selected correctly. They can provide the similarity of a natural biotope, but the main condition is its use. Stone sculptures, soil should not be toxic, or change the parameters of the aquatic environment (acidity, hardness). In addition, everything that will be placed in the tank must be treated with boiling water, special solutions. It is desirable to boil the soil, or chop in a furnace at a temperature of 200-300 ° C. Plants should be thoroughly rinsed under running water. The compact arrangement of the decorations in the aquarium will facilitate the care of them.
- Lay the soil in several layers, plant it in it. Place snags, rocks. Install a water heating system, filter, compressor, water thermometer, lighting. Be careful when working with the equipment. The light should not heat the water too much so that the plants are not damaged and the fish do not become worse. To visually recreate the underwater world, a decorative film can be glued to the back wall of the aquarium.
See how to lay the soil in the aquarium.
Instructions for choosing aquarium fish:
- Choose pets according to your experience in the aquarium business. Of course, for beginners it is better to choose small and unpretentious in keeping fish, for which care is simple. Learn in advance about the lifestyle of the species, its taste habits.
- Find out at what parameters the water can contain a fish, what feed it should be fed and how many times a day.
- Choose your aquarium neighbors correctly. It is impossible to settle predatory and herbivorous fish together, especially large and small species. The disproportion becomes the cause of eating some fish by others.
Watch the video with the rules of compatibility of aquarium fish.
- There are schooling fish species, these are small hydrobionts that feel comfortable in the company of their relatives. A large school of non-aggressive fish does not show aggression towards neighbors.
- Some fish are suitable only for aquarists with experience. It is important that pet care does not bore you, because they take time.
- When buying fish, pay attention to their appearance and behavior. They should not be faded, disheveled scales, fins should be in place. The selected fish must actively swim, not be constantly at the bottom. Choose young fish if you want to breed them in the future. Check with the seller about the feeding regime.
Constant, varied feeding also makes up the right care for aquatic pets. It is advisable to give food 2 times a day, at the same time. Some species may eventually take food from the hands, but the hands must be clean, without blood and odors. Fish can see or hear a knock on the glass, swim out of shelters in anticipation of feeding. Pets can become so accustomed to the regime that they begin to prepare for the meal at the same time. Fish can not be overfed, it is fraught with health problems. Small portions that they eat in 3-5 minutes will be enough.
- The diet is varied. Herbivorous fish require constant obtaining of vegetable feed with fiber, omnivorous and predatory fish - in meat food, rich in proteins. It is advisable to combine all types of feed: live, frozen, dry, artificial. Live food is best frozen, so as not to infect the water infection. This applies to bloodworms, tubers, daphnia, corets and other feed. Some fish love so-called "cocktails" that can be prepared in the kitchen. Frozen seafood, vegetables pass through a meat grinder, are formed in the form of circles, and put in the freezer.
- Overeating shortens the life of fish, or provokes bloating. Once a week you should arrange a fasting day for your pets and not feed them at all. You can feed at 12 noon and 6 pm, or at another time during the day. At night, it is better not to feed. Pay attention to the behavior - if they do not eat, then portions can be reduced, or feed once a day.
Fish Care Basics
Care for water pets should be constant and quality. Cleanliness is a guarantee of health and carefree life, both for the owner and for the pet. Instructions for the care of an aquarium with fish:
- Regularly make water changes to fresh and clean. It is easy to get such water - dial the required amount from under the tap into the glass container, leave for 2-4 days, bring to the required parameters (check with indicators). Then pour into the tank. In an aquarium of 200 liters, you need to replace 20% of the water; in a 100-liter one, you can replace 30% of the water. The procedure should be repeated once a week.
- Constantly siphon the bottom of the reservoir funnel, removing the remnants of uneaten food. Do not turn off the compressor with aeration, filter, heating without special need.
- Every day, watch the pets - their appearance, behavior. If you notice a change - prepare a quarantine tank. Perhaps the fish is sick, and she needs special care.
- You should have a scraper for aquarium glass, which perfectly cleans hard surfaces from algal fouling. Stone rocks and snags can be cleaned with a brush. If the surfaces are not cleaned in a timely manner, the biological balance will be disturbed, which will affect the well-being of the fish.
Tips for beginners to care for aquarium and fish
Breeding and caring for fish and an aquarium at home is of great interest to both amateurs and professionals. The army of aquarium fans is constantly replenishing its ranks: beginners are attracted by the aesthetic satisfaction of contemplating the picture of the water world. Creating your own underwater garden in miniature seems to be an easy and fun process, because the specifics and fish care for beginners is often a secret behind seven seals. In order not to suffer a fiasco, it is worth exploring some tips. Then the creation and maintenance of beauty, care for aquarium fish will be a favorite hobby that brings pleasure with minimal financial and time costs.
Size and design
Size matters! It is worth paying attention to the model of average parameters from 50 to 100 liters. Small aquarium requires, surprisingly, more care: it is more difficult to maintain the optimum chemical composition of water, and it is more difficult for fish to grow, multiply, grow. For the same reasons, it is better not to choose rounded shapes. Before "starting" the tank is washed with salt, soda, laundry soap, washed thoroughly.
The location of the aquarium, of course, depends on the taste, possibilities and home interior, however, in this matter it is necessary to adhere to some rules. First, it is desirable to avoid direct sunlight, so the corner of the room is ideal. Secondly, all kinds of equipment is powered by electricity, which means that the outlet must be located at a distance equal to the length of the cable. Thirdly, the stand under the aquarium should be sufficiently stable to prevent fluctuations in water that will disturb its population. To this end, you can not place it at the door and you need to think about the location of the aquarium in advance before its arrangement and filling.
Decor and algae carry not only aesthetic value, because they provide the necessary places for shelter and breeding inhabitants. On the stands of pet stores there are all sorts of products that correspond to any taste preferences, in a wide price range. Grottoes, ladders, columns, ships, shards, houses, a bridge and much more will wake up interior designers in you. The main thing to sterilize them before placing in an aquarium. Subsequently, wash the décor in an individual dish every month when replacing water.
With great caution you need to treat the bizarre form korsyams assembled on the street - they need to be boiled for a long time and cleaned of high-quality dirt from dirt in order to prevent fish diseases. The tree is short-lived in water, so even with careful processing it will eventually turn into a source of not very useful bacteria.
The plant world is also diverse. Beginners should buy colorful artificial models - they need the same care as the decor. Living with algae is a little more difficult: they need to be planted periodically, and bacteria bought from unscrupulous sellers can carry them. Nevertheless, they are more useful because release oxygen and absorb waste products. Attention is important to stop on undemanding plants and plant tall specimens on the back wall (Indian fern, Bacopa). Low-growing cryptocoryne, Anubias placed in the foreground. To heighten the effect of using floating plants. The main rule of maintenance - algae should not occupy more than a third of the underwater world.
See how to plant aquarium plants.
Maintaining an ecosystem
The equipment necessary for operation includes the already known heater, as well as a device for measuring temperature, a filter and an aerator. Filters are chosen in accordance with the volumes of the home pool. Filters require care, so once every three weeks they are washed outside with water and they pull out the sponge of the internal filter and clean it of dirt. There are coal (it is replaced every month), or primary cleaning (white material is replaced every two weeks).
Lighting is usually mounted in a protective top cover. If it was not sold along with the aquarium, be sure to pick up the lid so that the water does not evaporate and the particularly frisky fish will not jump out. The lamp should be chosen in proportion to the size of the tank, at the rate of 0.5W per liter. Usually the lights are turned off at night, although there are some types of fish that need additional lighting at this time of day.
Soil plays an important role in the formation of the aquarium ecosystem - all biochemical processes occur. You can buy ready-made options in the pet store, you can use sand, pebbles, glass beads. In the second case, thorough disinfection and boiling are required, and in the first case, abundant washing is sufficient. Get a siphon to handle the soil in your "pond".
See how to clean the aquarium yourself.
The water must be separated: the required amount is poured into a clean tank, left for a couple of days, and then it is filled with an aquarium. For water, parameters such as hardness, acidity, temperature are important, which are determined for each species separately and are constantly maintained either by heating devices or special products that can be purchased along with fish. Caring for aquarium fish requires constant water changes. Do it either manually or with a special pump.
Fish for beginners better to choose from unpretentious species. Perfectly suitable small schooling species (scalarii, guppies, barbs, danios), catfish. The choice depends on compatibility (it is impossible to settle even one predatory specimen together with peace-loving, for example, gourami). The inhabitants of the aquarium should also combine the same preferences in acidity and water hardness.
In feeding, they follow a strict regimen: once a day, just as much as they can eat in 5-10 minutes. Fish do not feel the measures in food, therefore they are prone to overeating, which means - to the pollution of the aquatic environment. Caring for aquarium fish involves monitoring their condition. If they become lethargic, change their color, then they are probably sick.
These basic tips for beginners in the maintenance of an aquarium will help you to equip it with love, so that it becomes an ornament of your apartment, a picture from which it is impossible to look away!
Proper care of the aquarium
Aquarian small fishes are a fine opportunity to create a small corner of wildlife in the house. Aquarium looks spectacular and beautiful. Fish do not require special care, but they bring great aesthetic pleasure.
How to choose an aquarium
Buying an aquarium is the very first step towards creating a living corner.
- The shape and size of the device is very important. A good aquarium does not interfere at home and guarantees comfort. In addition, he must ensure the normal existence of the fish.
- When buying it is necessary to take into account that in large tanks the water stays clean longer. Care for a large aquarium is required less frequently.
- Aquarium should be selected according to the size and number of fish. If you want to contemplate large fish, then you need to make a big house for them.
- Landscaping aquarium also requires a thoughtful approach. It is possible to decorate a house reservoir with soil, algae, stones and various figures.
- The shape of the aquarium should provide convenient cleaning.
Caring for fish in an aquarium includes the following regular activities:
- keeping the aquarium clean;
- timely partial renewal of water (in a small aquarium - once a week, in a large one - once a month);
- the inner surface of the aquarium should be cleaned with a special scraper;
- the ground must be in good condition.
These are the basic principles of fish care in an aquarium. Water quality is important. In the course of their life, the fish emit harmful substances. Some of them recycle plants. But a surplus of bad components still accumulates. Therefore, the rules of care for the aquarium must be observed.
Fresh water for fish requires prior preparation:
- it must have the same hardness and temperature as the water in the aquarium;
- it must first be defended and filtered to remove chlorine from the water supply. Instead of settling, you can use special conditioners (for example, AQUAYER AntiToxin Vita);
- regular maintenance of water in the aquarium ensures the creation of a favorable environment for fish;
- water must be saturated with oxygen.
How else can you maintain the purity of the aquatic environment
Ankistrus care is provided for the aquarium. These are bottom fishes - "attendants". It is equally important to place plants that purify water. They should be positioned so that they do not impede the free movement of fish. The same applies to snags, mini-rocks and decorations.
From plants it is better to choose simple and unpretentious plants. It can be perististostniki and krugolistniki, which perfectly purify water from turbidity. It is not recommended to plant rare plants in your first aquarium. The rules for caring for an aquarium include taking care of plants. Each of them needs special conditions. Failure to comply with certain requirements, they die.
Caring for a home aquarium should include cleaning artificial figurines. They form plaque that must be cleaned. This is done when replacing water.
Care of a new aquarium
The main requirement is to form the microclimate necessary for the fish. Experts recommend running fish into a new "home" only after a week. However, the process can be accelerated using special capsules with microflora (biokorin, biostarter).
If you have a working aquarium, soak a sponge in the water and squeeze it into a new aquarium. You can just pour a few liters of water. In this embodiment, the water must be defended in just 2 days. Caring for a new aquarium involves, above all, the preparation of water and the formation of the internal climate.
How to run animals in the aquarium? It is enough to pour water with the fish into a new container. The rules for caring for the aquarium do not allow a sharp temperature drop. You should warm the water with the fish to room temperature, and then run them into the home aquarium.
Daily care for aquarium fish
Fish do not need excessive care. Caring for them is very simple. That is why many parents prefer to buy their children fish. It is enough to remember about feeding fish.
Remains of food floating on the surface of the water should be collected with a net. Это делается через 20 минут после кормления. Рыбам необходимо давать корм утром и вечером. Они склонны к перееданию. Это приводит к их гибели. Поэтому не следует насыпать им слишком много корма.
Особенности видов рыбок имеют важное значение
Если вы собираетесь приобрели аквариумных рыбок, перед покупкой, обязательно изучите особенности тех или иных видов. Many here depend on the type of fish. Therefore, you need to know the features of the fish you intend to buy. Most fish need warm water. The temperature in the aquarium should be for some fish ranging from 19 to 22 degrees for others from 22 to 28 degrees. When caring for an aquarium, do not forget about the optimal conditions of the fish. Most of them do not tolerate sudden changes in temperature. However, there are exceptions. Do not place fish with different temperature requirements in the same container. For example, gold fishes need to maintain 21 degrees.
Proper care of the aquarium should take into account the peculiarities of behavior in the flock. Some fish require a high aquarium, such as an angelfish. In addition, these fish lodge in pairs. Choosing a fish, you should consider all these nuances. If you have aquarium fish at home, caring for them will not be a big hassle.
How to eliminate water turbidity
turbidity of water
Caring for an aquarium includes monitoring the ground. If the water is cloudy, this is a sign of careless handling of the ground. The opacities usually disappear after time.
Light turbidity can be caused by unicellular and bacteria. They can significantly spoil the look of a homely pond. In this case, they must get rid of. How to care for fish in an aquarium in this version? It is necessary to clean it. It is required to remove silt. Fish can not feed about 3 days. In addition, it is necessary to partially replace the water.
Also helps the aeration of water. It will be useful for breathing fish. If the water in the aquarium quickly becomes cloudy, you can put a piece of copper wire there. Sometimes the color change of the water is due to the colored feed.
Simple instructions: how to care for fish in an aquarium
Aquarium - a stylish addition to the interior, which allows you to create a unique, lively atmosphere in the room. This effect creates only well-groomed and filled with bright inhabitants of the capacity. How to achieve this will help instructions how to care for the fish in the aquarium. Opinions of psychologists agree that the observation of the life of fish allows you to take a break from everyday worries and relax. Smooth movements of the inhabitants of the water world look graceful and fascinating. Therefore, the aquarium performs not only an aesthetic, but also a healing function.
Content of aquarium fish
Argued that the maintenance of fish does not require time and financial costs. Experienced aquarists will talk in detail about the complexity of this lesson, which requires care and unhurriedness. You control a small underwater world that cannot exist without competent support. For beginners, help how to care for the fish in the aquarium (point by point).
Excessive care for such pets is not required. To understand the process will help the instruction. How to care for fish in an aquarium, even children can remember.
The first serious oversight that is allowed at this stage is the purchase of a small aquarium, considering that the capacity of 20-30 liters will meet the needs of the beginner amateur fish. In reality, the opposite is true. Maintaining artificial biocenosis in balance is much easier in a large aquarium, at least 50-70 liters. In it several species of inhabitants can coexist and develop normally.
The next question, which will consider a brief instruction on how to care for the fish in an aquarium, is what is inside the tank. They create a cozy atmosphere for small inhabitants, starting from the ground. Small pebbles will do the job best. When selecting, take into account its caliber and color, focusing on the species of fish that are planned to contain. Inhabitants of bright shades look better on a background of gray stones.
Plants are rooted in the soil, they take nutrients from it. Flora serves as a refuge for individual fish, who love to hide from active neighbors. Artificial greens have an attractive appearance and do not require care, but give preference to natural plants.
How to choose a fish?
How to choose the inhabitants? How to care for fish in an aquarium? The manual will give answers to these questions. Decide in advance on the species composition of the ichthyofauna to simplify the process of leaving and to prevent conflicts. Focus on the size of the fish: large and small individuals can not live together.
For many decades, viviparous fish have been very popular with aquarists. They do not lay eggs, but immediately give birth to viable fry, which can independently move and feed. Characterized by these types of ease of care, they do not need to create special conditions for reproduction. However, the fish have a large range of colors and shapes.
Types of fish
If you do not know what types to choose and how to care for the fish in the aquarium, the instruction will help to resolve these issues. The most common are the following representatives of the ichthyofauna: patzili, guppies, mollies and swordtails. The conditions of maintenance and care required for them are the same, which allows you to settle them in the same aquarium. Among the fish laying eggs, speckled catfish are the most popular.
Cockerels and goldfish are classic aquarists. Beginners are more difficult to handle because they need to pay more attention. A round aquarium is not the best choice for them. These inhabitants will be more comfortable in a rectangular container. Instructions on how to care for the fish in an aquarium recommends that when creating the second tank, take some of the water from the first one. This method will help to reduce the time for settling.
Instructions on how to care for fish in an aquarium, the points suggests:
- Regular reading of the water thermometer. If there are deviations from the recommended parameters for this type of fish, the heating is turned on.
- Viviparous ichthyofauna suitable temperature from 18 to 28 ºC. But each individual species has its own preferences. Reproduction will occur only in this narrow temperature range.
- Control of purity and hardness of water. Every 7 days, one third of the medium is removed, replacing it with a new one.
- Check the filter element and compressor, without which the normal existence of the inhabitants is impossible.
- The aquarium should be lit from 10 to 12 hours a day.
- Feed the inhabitants need 1-2 times a day. In the presence of fry, the number of meals is increased to 4. A portion of food is placed in the feeder, which is usually eaten in 5-10 minutes. Residues must be removed (to prevent rotting).
The given instructions on how to care for fish in an aquarium will help beginners to orient themselves in the basic requirements for their maintenance and feeding. More detailed information should be studied for each specific type that you have.
How to care for an aquarium?
Proper care of a home aquarium for beginners may seem difficult and troublesome. But, according to experienced aquarists, to care for the aquarium is not more difficult than for other pets. The main thing from the very beginning to properly equip, run and populate the aquarium. And, of course, not having enough experience, you should study in advance which species of fish can live in the same space, and which plants are best suited for selected species of fish. And only after that you should choose the configuration and size of the aquarium, as well as proceed to its equipment and design. Since it is much more difficult to care for a small round aquarium, and this requires some experience, aquarists recommend starting with large rectangular aquariums. Breaking the biological balance in a large aquarium is much more difficult, and even if this happens, it will be easier to correct the situation. At the same time, for the inhabitants of small aquariums, even minor errors that are common among beginners can be disastrous. But despite the differences in the requirements for the content of different aquariums, fish species and plants, there are also general rules for caring for an aquarium that every aquarist should know.
How to care for the aquarium?
To preserve the biological balance in the aquarium, experts recommend the following scheme of care for the aquarium.
- feeding and inspection of fish. Feeding should be moderate, it is necessary to ensure that the fish ate all the food for the time set for each type of fish. Feed particles should not fall to the ground, as this may lead to the growth of bacteria. During feeding, you should count the fish, watch their behavior, make sure there are no signs of disease.
- check the tightness of the aquarium and the health of the instruments. The difference in water temperature at the ground and on the surface should not exceed three degrees, otherwise the heater should be checked. If the water becomes cloudy, check the operation of the filters, if necessary, increase the capacity or replace it.
- inspect the algae and plants, if necessary, remove damaged leaves and excess.
- clean cover glass, aquarium walls and plant leaves. If necessary, the plants should be thinned, fertilized under the roots, the excess algae should be removed, the soil should be siphoned.
- measure water readings, PH, KH, DH. Make a water change from 20 to 30%. To do this, use only dechlorinated water.
- clean the filter.
Care of water in the aquarium
The more competent the care of an aquarium is, the faster biological balance will be achieved and the aquarium will “mature”. The most common mistake is to completely replace the water, or to replace too much water, without emergency. With such frequent manipulations it is impossible to achieve balance. But we can not ignore the turbidity of water, as well as high levels of nitrates and ammonia. In each case, you should establish and eliminate the cause of violations. Water filtration should also be given special attention, each filter has its own operating requirements, which must be respected.
How to care for a small aquarium?
In fact, caring for a small aquarium consists of the same manipulations as caring for a large one, but it requires greater accuracy in adjusting the performance of the equipment, calculating the amount of water for changing. Also, with a small amount of water should be with particular attention to the choice of inhabitants of the aquarium and carefully monitor the plants. You can not overdo it, too frequent cleaning can in the shortest possible time lead to an imbalance, while insufficient attention to the hygiene of the aquarium can lead to the accumulation of toxic substances and the death of fish. A small aquarium should be provided with good filtration and aeration.
How to care for fish in an aquarium :: aquarium fish and care for them :: aquarium fish
How to care for fish in an aquarium
The need for careful and systematic care of the aquarium and the fish living in it is obvious: feeding animals, periodically changing the water, cleaning the aquarium, inspecting it and checking the operation of the equipment necessary to keep fish in the water. But that is not all!
The question "opened a pet shop. Business is not going. What to do?" - 2 answers
One of the most popular aquarium fish are golden fish. At first glance it may seem that these fish are unpretentious in the care, but it is not. If the care of them is inadequate, then they will live only 3-4 days. Since goldfish grow in length up to 15 cm, then the aquarium should be selected appropriate: its capacity should be at least 50 liters per fish. For the proper maintenance of these animals, an appropriate soil is needed: the fact is that these fish simply love to rummage in the soil. Plants for such an aquarium need to pick up large-leaved, but you need to be prepared for the fact that exotic fish quickly spoil them with their feces. The aquarium itself should be spacious, bright. Do not forget about the appropriate coverage and filtering. Goldfish are gentle creatures, so you should avoid shells with sharp sides.
These fish will not cause much trouble in their content - they are not picky. Guppies live and breed at a water temperature of + 20-25 ° C, but they may feel fine even at + 18 ° C. In order for the fish not to lose their color, you need to put the aquarium so that in the daytime and in the evening direct sunlight falls on it. It should be borne in mind that guppies do not like polluted water, preferring that its replacement be partial. Guppies easily get along with other non-predatory fish, preferring the top layer of water space. These fishes swim in flocks one after another. The food for these cute creatures is dry daphnia, as they are not picky about food. For keeping guppies suitable aquarium in 50 liters.
These fish, if necessary, can breathe atmospheric air, so care for them will not cause any special problems. The cockerel can grow up to 7 cm. Males have magnificent fins, while females are not developed. For the maintenance of cockerels, you must purchase an aquarium from 60 liters As the soil you need to use coarse sand, small and large pebbles. Soil must be decontaminated. The central part of the aquarium should be free from plants: the entire aquarium flora is located on the sides. It is recommended to add a little decorative snags and pebbles to the bottom. Everything is pre-processed. Food for cockerels plays a big role in the brightness of their color. For example, dry food, suitable for the same guppy, for males will be a real poison! Therefore, the diet of these fish should include only live food, egg yolk, small pieces of meat.
How to care for fish?
I. Purchase the necessary equipment.
Actually the aquarium itself. For a novice aquarist, a rectangular-shaped aquarium will be more optimal. The larger the aquatic aquarium, the easier it is to establish biological equilibrium. For a beginner, a capacity of 70-100 liters is best suited for a beginner: the balance is established easily, and it is still easy to clean it.
Filter, heater with thermostat, compressor, all this is acquired depending on the volume of the aquarium.
It is better to buy a soil that is dark (with this color the fish feel calmer), with a fraction of 3-7 mm, without sharp corners, it is advisable to check it in vinegar to increase the water hardness (put a small amount of soil in vinegar if at least a small amount of gas bubbles starts to emit over time, this kind of soil will increase the hardness of the water).
Siphon for cleaning the soil, a scraper or a rigid sponge for cleaning the glasses of the aquarium, a thermometer, nets for fish.
Background for aquarium, for decoration. On a dark background, fish look more natural than on a background wallpaper.
Tests of water parameters. Now on sale a lot of tests. They are paper and drip. Paper shows the test result faster, but less accurately, therefore, if there is doubt about the correctness of the paper test, it should be checked by drip.
Medicines for aquarium fish.
Take care of good aquarium lighting. When illuminated with fluorescent lamps, the total power of the lamps should be approximately equal to half the volume of the aquarium. Lighting in the aquarium should be included for 8-10 hours a day.
It is very desirable to have a separate quarantine tank!
Quarantine - an aquarium without soil and plants of sufficient volume for fish that we quarantine, with a separate filter and aeration.
Ii. Choose a place for the aquarium.
Do not install water by the window. Direct sunlight falling into an aquarium often causes water to bloom.
When choosing a place, consider that the constant walking of people at the aquarium scares the fish, which leads to stress - the source of disease.
The aquarium should be installed on a stand that can guarantee its stability for a long time. If the aquarium on the stand is loose, sooner or later it will leak.
A soft, smooth, waterproof litter should be placed under the aquarium; without it, a grain of sand that falls under the bottom can become a point of mechanical tension and there will be a chance that after filling with water the bottom of the aquarium will crack.
Next to the aquarium should be an electrical outlet for connecting equipment.
Iii. Correctly pick the fish.
Find out all the information about each type of fish that you want to inhabit in the aquarium (water content for maintenance, behavior, livability with other fish ...).
Measure the parameters of water in your water supply (pH, gH).
Based on the foregoing, choose fish for your aquarium.
Iv. Do not overcrowd the aquarium.
Overpopulation in the aquarium is one of the main sources of trouble!
In an aquarium with a filtration system and live plants for small fish (cardinals, neons, zebrafish, rasbor ...) you need 1.5 liters for fish, for medium fish (barbs, guppies, petilles, swordtails, catfish, labyrinths ...) 5 liters, for large fish (small and medium cichlids, medium catfish, large carp ...) - 15 liters per fish.