How to install and use aquarium filters
The aquarium filter performs a cleaning function, removing chemical and mechanical impurities from the water. In order for it to function correctly, it must be correctly placed in the tank. The life of all the inhabitants of the aquarium depends on his work.
How to put internal filters?
Internal filters are installed inside the aquarium. The most popular - internal pump filters and airlift. They are inexpensive, they are easy to install yourself, they are convenient to use during operation. However, these mechanisms have their drawbacks - they must be cleaned of dirt almost every day, they are overall and noisy. Before purchasing such a water purifier, determine whether it fits in your tank.
Will it be possible to install the internal filter correctly the first time? Completely if you carefully read the instructions. The device must be placed in the tank when it is half filled with water, when there are plants planted in the soil. Before turning on the filter in the network, it should be assembled in parts, and mounted on the wall or above the aquarium.
Water purification devices such as internal filters should be completely immersed in the aquatic environment. Above the filter should be another 3 cm of water. The device itself should not touch the bottom. If you bought an internal filter, or made it yourself, then attach it correctly using suction cups to the glass wall.
See how to disassemble, assemble and install the internal filter.
Included with the branded filter is a hose for air supply. In the homemade device, it should also be present, however, the principle of attachment is the same. Take one end of the tube and attach it to the special opening of the filter, the other end of it out above the water and fix it with the help of the fastened material to the upper edge of the tank wall. The tube must be above the water level, otherwise the air will not be properly sucked.
On the tube or directly on the filter should be an air supply regulator. Its location affects the flow of water in the aquarium. After installing the water purification device, the regulator should be correctly placed in the middle position. Then watch the behavior of the fish - some will love the flow of water, others will avoid it. Adjust the water flow level so that the fish feel comfortable.
Internal cleaners should be installed after they are completely immersed in water. Before you get it out of the water for cleaning, the device must be disconnected from the power supply. Also, do not leave the mechanism turned off in the water, and turn it on after a long period of stagnation (if you did not have time to clean it).
How to put external filters?
External filters are more bulky, and more expensive for the price. Despite the financial costs, these types of water purifiers have many advantages. The most important thing is fillers, which consist of filtering materials. Periodically they need to be replaced, which is quite simple to do.
See how to clean and replace the filler in the external filter.
External cleaners are not very noisy, they are suitable for spacious aquariums from 100 liters and more, they provide a biological method of water purification. In such an apparatus there may be several fillers: stones, sponge, rings, etc. Therefore, experienced craftsmen with the availability of skills make external filters with their own hands. The principle of operation of the external system of cleaning the reservoir: the aquarium water gradually pass through a special tank, in which there is a filler of filter materials. Then purified water flows back through the tube to the tank.
Clean this device is not difficult. The cleaning process should occur in the aquarium water itself, which must be drained into a separate container. Further filtering matter is gradually replaced. For example, a sponge cannot be replaced completely, but only a part of it. Cut off half of the old sponge and put a new one in its place. After a few days, useful bacteria multiply in it, and the biological environment will not be disturbed.
To install an external device for water treatment correctly, you need to read the instructions. If it is homemade, then it must first be assembled by placing all the fillers with sponges in their cells. It is also required to close both taps where the tubes are connected.
The device will be able to function properly if it is installed below the water level (20 cm). To the external filter are 2 tubes that take water and release it. They need to be fixed on opposite corners of the tank. When all parts are connected to a fully assembled device, it will need to be filled with aquarium water using a drain. Otherwise, the air from the tubes will not allow the device to function properly.
To release the air plugs, you must connect and open a hose that takes water. Wait for the filter to fill with water. Do not allow water to flow out of the hole for the second tube. After filling the unit, turn off the inlet hose.
After that, you need to connect a hose that releases water. To do this, turn off its valve, and water will accumulate in the hose. Only after these procedures can you connect it to the system of water intake from the tank. You can later open two taps and connect an external filter to the power supply. Only with the observance of all the rules of safety and operation, the mechanism will work as it should. Never turn on the machine if you notice mechanical damage on it. Be careful in working with aquarium equipment to ensure a comfortable life for fish and plants.
How to install a filter in the aquarium?
The organization of a home aquarium is always associated with the need to install an internal filter. It is simply necessary for the normal existence of fish, as it saturates water with oxygen, improves the circulation of water, and mechanically purifies water. But for beginner aquarists, this often becomes a problem, and they wonder how to install an aquarium internal filter.
How to install aquarium filter?
The internal filter is called internal because it is completely immersed in water. The water level above it, depending on the depth of the aquarium, should be from five to eight centimeters.
The filter is attached to the wall of the aquarium with the help of special suction cups, which in most cases are included in the kit.
A flexible transparent tube, which is called an air vent hose and is designed to supply air, at one end is attached to the spout of the filter, and the other is led outside the aquarium. The tip of the air vent hose, located outside the aquarium, should be located higher than that attached to the filter nozzle.
In addition, when installing the filter should pay attention to the fact that the power of the air supply can be changed using a special regulator, which is either at the tip of the air vent hose, or on the spout of the filter. At first, put it in the middle position. And you can adjust the position you need, looking at the fish. There are types of fish that love a strong current, and there are also those that do not tolerate it. With a weak power level, the bubble filter may not be, in this case, a slight wave of water will tell about its proper operation.
After the installation of the aquarium filter is completed, and all parts are connected, you can connect it to the mains. And for the future it should be remembered that any manipulations in the aquarium should be carried out with the filter turned off from the outlet.
Installing the internal filter in the aquarium
In order for the filter to work properly and the water in the aquarium was not muddy, with particular attention, approach the question of choosing a filter. It is important that it fits exactly your tank, and its quality was first class. In this case, you should rely on well-known manufacturers, which will ensure the absence of problems in the future.
If choosing a cleaning system is difficult, seek advice from retailers or professionals. They will share their experiences, talk about the proper care of the fish and their "living space." Thus, your purchase will be doomed to good luck.
After purchasing the device, be sure to pay attention to its instructions. Installation of the internal filter in the aquarium is made on the basis of these instructions. It is important that the cleaning system is filled with water at the time of immersion. Do not forget to temporarily overpower the fish, because they can interfere with the installation process. In addition, residents face a burn: the body temperature of the fish is much lower than the human temperature.
So, immerse the filter in the water column to a depth of 15-20 millimeters. It is necessary that the device is completely in water. After determining the location, attach the filter to the wall of the aquarium. As a rule, it is equipped with special velcro, thanks to which the installation process is greatly simplified. You can lock the device to the desired position, where it will remain for a long time.
Do not forget that the filter is equipped with a special tube to which the hose is attached. The tube should be outside the aquarium; it is she who plays a crucial role in water purification. Through this element comes out "used" water, which enters the mini-hose through a sponge at the end of the filter.
One of the steps in the operation "how to install a filter in the aquarium" is to turn on the device in the outlet. When testing the device, do not forget the safety regulations. Wires must be complete, and the shell on them - intact. In order to test the operation of the internal filter, place your palm over the top opening of the device. If you feel like water is being pushed out of there, then the filter is working properly. Observe the cleansing process for a few minutes; malfunctions are often identified immediately.
After the operations, you can return the fish in their "water kingdom." Do not forget to mention whether it is comfortable for pets in the aquarium where the cleaning device works. It is important that the filter does not have a negative impact on the residents.
How to install an aquarium :: Hobbies and entertainment :: Other
How to install an aquarium
A good freshwater aquarium can decorate any home environment. Observing its inhabitants is not only relaxing, but also has an educational and entertaining effect for all households. Installation of the aquarium, if desired, can be done independently.
The question "how to recognize a chip prefix or not" - 1 answer
You will need
- - aquarium;
- - substrate (gravel or sand);
- - stand for aquarium;
- - water filter;
- - heater.
1. Find a suitable place for the aquarium. Ensure that no direct sunlight falls on it, because they can cause accelerated algae growth. Do not place the aquarium near sources of dust. Make sure that there is an electrical outlet near the aquarium or use an extension cord for the filter and heater.
2. Choose an aquarium. Consider at the same time, what fish and what plants you will put in it. The larger the adult fish, the larger you will need an aquarium. Pick up the aquarium so that it fits completely on the rack that you prepare for it. Do not allow the edges of the aquarium protruding beyond the edges of the rack. Find out the maximum weight of an aquarium filled with water and calculate whether your rack can withstand it. As a rack for containers, use special stands, for this purpose dressers, tables or any ordinary pedestals will not work.
3. Select a filter for water treatment. Before you buy a filter, pay attention to the speed of its operation and compare it with the volume of your aquarium. Ideally, for every 4 liters of aquarium, the filter should allow 20 liters of water per hour.
4. Select the substrate, which you will fill the bottom of the aquarium. Gravel or sand can be used as a substrate. The substrate allows the inhabitants of the aquarium not to lose orientation in space, and also serves as a shelter. It can be purchased at any pet store.
5. Pour 2-5 cm of water into the aquarium and check for leaks. If you find them, drain the water, dry the container and seal the holes with a sealant.
6. Thoroughly rinse the substrate (gravel or sand) with running water. Spread it evenly across the bottom of the aquarium and slowly pour in some water so that it does not wash away the substrate. Install a filter, but do not turn it on until the tank is filled with water. Press down the gravel with a plate and fill the tank to the end. Install a heater in the aquarium and heat the water to 21-25 ° C.
7. In the established aquarium, the fish must be introduced gradually. Submerge 2-3 fish for ten days. Then add two more for the next ten days, etc. If you release all your fish into the aquarium at once, the water can quickly become filled with toxins and spoil.
Filter for aquarium do it yourself. How to build a filter for the aquarium: schemes, tips
Before you get the fish, you need to take care of the presence of not only the suitable aquarium, soil, vegetation, some kind of decorative elements, but also a filter. You should understand that this is not only a water purifier, but also an item that is essential for the vital activity of your home aquatic inhabitants. And if you do not have the opportunity to purchase one or another model in the store, you can consider how to make a filter for the aquarium with your own hands.
Importance of aquarium filter
No matter how clean the water in the aquarium you do not fill, it will eventually become dirty. This is due to the appearance of dead algae particles, waste and other small debris in it. In order to get rid of all this and maintain cleanliness in the aquatic environment, it is necessary to install a water filter in the aquarium.
This mechanism has the following functions:
- purifies water from inorganic particles;
- removes all sorts of solutes from water (for example, tablets or other drugs after treating aquarium inhabitants);
- fills water with oxygen, without which no fish can survive;
- creates water circulation.
Undoubtedly, no fish or other aquatic animals can be launched into any aquarium without a pre-installed filter. But, considering all of the above, it’s still worth remembering, but if you know how to install a filter in an aquarium and have already decided which model to buy, it will not create natural running water for you anyway. After all, each filter pumps the same fluid.
What is the difference between filters?
Before you install the filter in the aquarium, you need to decide on its appearance, installation location and functionality. Indeed, in every specialized store you will encounter a large selection of these devices. All of them differ in design features and applications.
Some do not want to face such a choice and prefer to make a filter for the aquarium with their own hands, simply by examining all the features of the purchased structures and finding out which model is suitable for a particular situation.
Types of Aquarium Filters
According to the principle of operation, modern aquarium filters of the following types are distinguished:
- Mechanical able to clean the water in the aquarium from the turbidity and floating particles that were raised from the bottom by the movement of fish and compressor. Without installing such a device is not enough. After all, the dirt in the aquarium gradually accumulates and, as a result, decomposes, making the water turbid. Such a filter should be washed as it is contaminated. The first sign of clogging will be a reduced flow of water through this device.
- Chemical filters to a greater degree purify aquarium water from organic matter. They remove phosphates and nitrates. For excellent results, these filters must be periodically changed.
- Absorption-chemical filters contribute to the purification of water from the waste of fish and other "animals" of the aquarium. As a rule, such a device includes a constantly circulating pump, a special sponge and a substrate (usually gravel) located directly next to it. It can be installed both inside and outside the aquarium. It should be noted that the main component of each biological filter are nitrifying bacteria, whose vital activity must be maintained without fail. This means that such an external filter for the aquarium should be washed only under running water. And in no case can it be dried.
Types of filters depending on their location
Each filter for an aquarium, photos of which demonstrate not only their appearance, but also the methods of attachment, can be installed in different ways. According to this, according to their location, the following types of these devices are distinguished:
- The bottom filter for the aquarium is located almost at the bottom of the tank. It has a large number of holes from which air is supplied. Such filters help to clear water from small contaminations. Manufacturers recommend to install them immediately before the settlement of fish. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to place and fix this type of filter in the aquarium.
- The internal filter is installed inside the aquarium (hence its name). As a rule, it consists of a sponge or activated carbon and a pumping device.Such filters clog very quickly. This must be constantly monitored, as the throughput of such a device decreases.
- External filters for aquarium is very similar to internal ones. The only difference is the location.
How to make a filter for the aquarium yourself?
A good filtering device will never be cheap. What to do? How to save? In this case, we advise you to make the simplest filter for the aquarium with your own hands. To make it you will need: a sponge (you choose its size depending on the capacity of the aquarium), a nebulizer, a suction cup, a rubber tube, two 20 ml syringes, a small compressor.
Take one syringe. In one part of it, in which the medicine should be taken, make holes with a heated awl. You need to connect the second syringe with the first one. This can be done with spikes. To do this, hold the widest ends on the hot plate for a bit, quickly connect them and hold for 5-7 seconds. Cut from both ends the part into which the needle should be inserted. You should have a long plastic pipe.
Take a sponge, make in one of its sides not a wide, but deep incision, insert into it a part of a syringe with holes. Get into the resulting "tube" rubber tube, connect it to the compressor. Attach a suction cup to one side of the syringe. It will be attached to your filter to the wall of the aquarium.
Is it possible to make a run for the filter aquarium?
No filter can fully clean the water in the aquarium without a pump. The simplest such device can also be made by hand. To do this, you must have at hand: the nozzle, fitting, pump core and tee.
The nozzle can be replaced with a simple pipe. It must be in one of the holes of the tee. After that, take the valve with a thread, screw the fitting on it, and pull the hose from above. On the opposite side, you need to carefully attach a small hose, which will later serve to drain the water. A siphon is put on the end of this hose. It will help protect the pump itself from falling into the ground, which can cause serious damage to the device.
How to install a filter in an aquarium?
So, you bought or made a filter for the aquarium with your own hands. Now what? How to install it? What rules should be followed?
First of all, everyone should understand that in no case should a filter be installed in an empty aquarium. The container should be at least half filled with water. It is also worth noting that before you assemble the filter for the aquarium, all the details of this device must be carefully dried. And only after that, proceed to install it. The filter is usually attached to the wall with suction cups at a distance of 3 cm from the surface and in such a way that it does not touch the bottom. First, it must be submerged in the water off.
The tube that takes in air must be brought out. It is very convenient if a fastening is provided for this tube. In a fixed state, it will not move and fall into the water.
If you understand how to install the filter in the aquarium, and did it correctly, then only now it can be plugged into an outlet. If the filter began to circulate and saturate the water with oxygen, then you should have no doubt that you did something wrong.
How to clean the filter yourself?
In order to clean the aquarium filter, you must first disconnect it from the network. Outside the device is washed from mucus and dirt, carefully "stretch" the sponge in running water. If you have a chemical filter, its filler must be replaced without fail. In the case of acquiring a biological filter, it is worth remembering that it will be more convenient to have several of these devices at once. This makes it easy to clean each of them in turn.
And finally ...
It is mandatory to monitor the operation of your filtering system. She should always work at full strength. If, for example, the bottom filter for an aquarium does not work at full strength, then this is the first sign that this device needs to be washed and cleaned.
Remember! Improving the care of the aquarium filter comes only with time. In this case, you only need attention and care to your pets.