Why does the water in the aquarium smell like a swamp?
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation. However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants. Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp. Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use. The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
If the water in the aquarium began to spawn - the reasons
The main reasons why the water from the aquarium smells unpleasant, are indicated below:
- Irregular cleaning of the tank or poor cleaning (filtration);
- Improper aeration, due to which the water is not saturated with sufficient oxygen;
- Unsuitable aquarium plants;
- Nursery overpopulation - little water is allocated to one adult animal;
- Overfeeding fish, reptiles or amphibians;
- Feeding pets low-quality food;
- The sudden death of the inhabitants of the reservoir, the body goes dead and decomposes;
- The appearance of sludge in the soil and water.
Muddy water that smells like a swamp - what to do?
If the aquarium fluid has become rotten, which has strongly started to smell, and even smells like a swamp, it is possible to establish the causes of the imbalance of the aquatic environment through practice and observation. In the course of the research, it will be possible to determine the method by which turbid water, which goes dead and smells unpleasant, will be neutralized. To solve the problem should be phased actions.
- Decide whether you chose the right fish food. To do this, change the water, buy another, better food and test it in a few days. After a day, a turbid liquid that smells like a swamp has disappeared and is clean, odorless, which means the cause of the problem was unsuitable food. In the case where the action did not lead to a result, other reasons should be sought.
- It so happens that you feed the fish and other animals with high-quality feed, but the aquatic environment is still muddy and "gives" the swamp. Probably, you overfeed the inhabitants of the nursery, and they do not have time to eat all the granules. Not all fish eat a lot, so arrange unloading diets for them and add less feed to the water. After a few days, smell the tank - if the unpleasant smell has disappeared. If yes, then you have found the reason. The uneaten food is mixed with the soil, decomposing.
Watch a video on how to feed the fish properly.
- If you are a beginner aquarist and for the first time launched an aquarium, due to lack of experience you could create the wrong neighborhood in the nursery. It turns out that not all types of fish, snails, amphibians and reptiles get along together. Some will disturb others, and because of close space, someone will fall ill and die, quietly sinking to the bottom. Due to severe stress, insufficient shelters and swimming places, the inhabitants of the reservoir excrete feces with a characteristic aroma. After a day or two, muddy water will appear with a stench. What to do - get a spacious tank, pour water into it with suitable parameters, and populate compatible pets there. Or buy two aquariums at once, if many species are incompatible within the same space. Also carefully inspect the bottom - maybe one of the fish died, and the body is still not removed.
- Wrong decorations can "decorate" the aquarium with an unpleasant smell. This is not a perfume, but a living growth, it has its own life. In this case, contact a specialist (a seller in a store or a botanist), and ask whether the purchased plant is able to secrete flavored vapors. Specify the size of the tank capacity, type of soil and water parameters. Replant the plant in the right environment - it may need a larger or smaller aquarium.
- When the fish behave excessively actively, they try to lie to the bottom - the reason for the incorrect supply of oxygen, impaired work of aeration. To fix the equipment, you must:
- install a compressor with high power;
- replace the filter with a new one, with a forced circulation system;
- Ask a specialist how to adjust the oxygen supply to an acceptable level.
See how to replace the water and clean the soil in the aquarium.
In the aquarium, the liquid is rotting and the marsh stinks - how to clean the water?
Did you find out why the aquarium stinks, but you are not exactly sure what to do? Proper cleaning of the fish nursery is your main assistant! When all the above tips have not led to the expected result, you will have to make a new plan to save the reservoir and its inhabitants. It consists in the correct cleaning of the container from harmful impurities and parasites, which are the main causes of an unpleasant smell. Before capital cleaning prepare such tools:
- at least 5-10 liter jars with infused water of appropriate parameters for the temporary settlement of fish;
- net, scraper and sponge;
- big bucket;
- special liquid to remove contamination from aquarium glass (available in stores);
- aquarium pump;
- pH adjuster.
Remove all animals from the nursery with a net by placing them in a jar of water. Disconnect the tank from the supply of current, light, turn off the filter and aerator. Rinse and clean the sponge. Use a scraper and a sponge to clean the windows, removing plaque, algae and other droppings from them. Take the pump, lower one end into the bucket, the second into the tank with dirty water, then pump out from 20 to 50% of all the water, depending on when it was last changed. Put gauze on the pump, and run it along the bottom of the ground, the air will make the bottom siphon. After cleaning, remove all decorations.
The scenery should be pulled out and processed, leaving them in a separate container with a little salted water (1 teaspoon per 20 liters) or scalding them with boiling water. If plaque forms on them, scrape it with an unnecessary toothbrush or gauze. After processing, place the decorations on a clean cloth to dry, then reinstall in the aquarium.
Pour into the aquarium a new, clean water of the same parameters that fish and plants used to (temperature, pH, hardness). Infused water should be three days for chlorine to evaporate from it. Polish the outer glass of the tank (liquid for aquarium glass), and then reconnect all the devices. After the procedure, gradually run the fish. Cleaning can be done in a few hours, the main thing - to adhere to accuracy.
Experienced breeders strongly advise settling in the nursery of the “orderlies” of the reservoir - freshwater snails, speckled catfish, mollies, antsistrusov, gyrinoheyls, labo, Japanese pond shrimps. The fishes living in the lower layers do an excellent job with the uneaten food that fell to the bottom, the snails eat carrion, and the shrimps and other fish mentioned above do an excellent job with algae. When settling, you should consider compatibility with each other, then your aquarium will resemble a natural biotope, with crystal clear water and beautiful living creatures.
How to get rid of the smell in the aquarium :: should the aquarium smell like :: Apartment and cottage :: Other
How to get rid of the smell in the aquarium
Some novice aquarists are faced with this situation: recently changed water suddenly begins to emit a whole bunch of unpleasant odors. The solution to this problem depends on the cause of the stench, and there may be several ways out.
The question "how to restore the certificate of registration of ownership of 1/4 apartments, the type of registered right is a common share ownership" - 1 answer
1. The first thing that can be done is to thoroughly clean the aquarium and everything that is in it (stones, shells, decorative castles, houses, etc.). Rinse the inside of the glass well, as even if at first glance they seem to be clean, they may still have a slippery water stain on them. If a few days later from the aquarium again smells unpleasant, you need to look for more reasons in more detail.
2. First, determine which smell comes from your tank. If it smells a bit of mud or swamp, you can calm down. This fragrance means only that everything is in order with him and his inhabitants. This aquarium should smell like a river.
3. If you feel completely different unpleasant odors - rotten eggs, onions or garlic, you must take decisive action. The smell of onions can produce some aquatic plants. For example, if in your aquarium cryptocarins live, there may be such a smell. In this case, add to them a pair of ambulium bushes, a little hornpole, and a few hemianthus bushes. Unpleasant aroma should disappear.
4. The cause of the unpleasant the smell there may be impurities that accumulate at the bottom of the "pond" - this is both the waste products of fish, and the remnants of food. If the aquarium is too large and there is no possibility to wash it completely, just draw a primer siphon. For this purpose, a special device is used in the form of a hose with a tip through which water passes, taking with it all the accumulated dirt.
5. Together with the ground siphon it is necessary to carry out the process of partial replacement of water. This will also help to heal the atmosphere and remove substances harmful to fish. This should be done twice a week, at the same time it is necessary to replace from 20 to 30% of the water in the aquarium. You can use ordinary tap water, but it must be defended during the day.
6. Determine if the fish have enough oxygen. To do this, see if they float close to the surface, gasping for air. In this case, you need to buy a good air compressor, which must constantly work, providing good aeration.
Causes of water turbidity and how to deal with it
Muddy water in an aquarium is a common phenomenon that almost every aquarist has encountered. Sometimes the causes of the problem are found quickly, and sometimes it takes a long time to figure out why the water has become cloudy. How to deal with the formation of turbidity, what is recommended to do and what is not?
When does water appear in the water?
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason - poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish - their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it's time to draw conclusions - this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants - they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick - watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy - what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated - they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced with new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish sediment is formed due to "whiteness after fish treatment", this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
How to overcome turbidity in water?
Now we know the reasons why the water grows cloudy in the aquarium, and what to do in each case. However, there are general rules, without which it is impossible to completely eliminate the problem.
- Siphonte the ground in the aquarium. Open the filter, rinse and clean. Then add activated carbon to it - this needs to be done to absorb harmful substances. It is forbidden to make a complete replacement of water and washing the aquarium soil, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will die out and will not be able to process rot and algae.
See how to siphon the soil in the aquarium.
- In some cases, it is necessary to do an intensive aeration of the aquarium - when there are a lot of fish feed residues and a fasting day is not enough. Oxygen will quickly remove excess organic matter.
- If an unpleasant smell disappears in an aquarium, it means that the struggle with mist is over successfully. Also for elimination of bacterial turbidity it is possible to use elodeya, having landed it superficially in a ground.
Dregs in the water: types
The color of cloudiness will tell about the sources of its formation:
- The water color is greenish - single-celled algae reproduce;
- Brown water - peat, humic and tannins, poorly processed snags;
- Milky white color - unicellular bacteria begin to multiply;
- The color of the water coincides with the color of the soil or of a stone recently laid on it, which means that the soil was plowed by fish, or the stone turned out to be fragile.
Drugs that prevent the appearance of a cloudy precipitate
- Aquarium coal is absorbent, which is added after cleaning the tank to the filter for a period of 2 weeks. After extraction, you can fill in a new batch there.
- Tetra Aqua CrystalWater is a tool that binds small particles of dirt into one, after which they can be removed or passed through a filter. After 8-12 hours the reservoir will be crystal clear. Dosage - 100 ml per 200 liters of water.
- Sera Aquaria Clear - also binds sediment particles, passing it through the filter. During the day, dirt can be removed from the cassette. The drug does not contain harmful substances.
- Before adding sorbents to water, it is better to move the fish to another container.
In order to avoid turbid water, it is necessary to control the level of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. They stand out as a result of the vital activity of fish, plants and improper care of the water body. Therefore, fish should be settled in the tank, the size of which corresponds to its volume. Proper feeding of pets, timely cleaning of the products of their vital activity, removal of rotten plants will settle the water balance. If there is no mechanical or biological filter in the aquarium, replace 30% of the water weekly with fresh and sedimented. Do not add water from the pipeline with the smell of chlorine or boiled.
See also: What water to pour into the aquarium with fish?
If the water dimmed after running the aquarium
After the first start of the aquarium, sometimes the water becomes cloudy, thus acquiring an uncharacteristic color. In itself, turbidity is not a terrible phenomenon, it is a signal that something is wrong in the water and there is a need to do preventive procedures to eliminate the problem. Turbid water after launching appears due to a number of reasons, after studying which, the reservoir can be put in order.
What is the aquatic environment characteristic of new aquariums?
A few days after installation and start-up, the water in the aquarium dimmed dramatically. Why it happens?
- The fact is that in the "immature" reservoirs the biological environment has not yet formed, the beneficial bacteria have not spread enough, and are in a state of "stress." While they multiply massively, and after a few weeks, their colonies will adapt to the new reservoir. In old aquariums, bacteria do not multiply abundantly.
- The water in the new aquarium also becomes cloudy from the light particles of soil, which rises under the influence of frequent water changes. When pouring water directly on the ground, its pellets rise sharply, floating for a long time. This process creates a visual turbidity of water. To avoid this, it is necessary to make a careful and gradual injection of fluid into the tank. After this, the sediment will "calm down" and settle to the bottom. Purchased fish are unlikely to create a "hurricane" in a new home - they are shy and often hide in shelters. Water with sand sediment is harmless to fish and plants.
- Newbies in aquarism can overfeed the fish, because of what food remains to swim in the middle layers of water, or settle to the bottom, mixing with the ground.Later, putrefactive bacteria that produce toxins multiply in the water. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites - their decay products, which can poison all the inhabitants of the aquarium. It is better to give pets less food than to overfeed.
- Why do small particles of white precipitate appear in water? To purify water from turbidity, some owners of home aquariums immediately add water purification chemicals to the water. Before being introduced into the tank, they must be diluted in a separate container until completely dissolved. These substances, in addition to filtration, change the parameters of water. White sediments appear on snags, decorations and in the water itself, and the fish are not feeling well. In this case, pets are better moved to another capacity.
Watch the video about why the water in the aquarium grows cloudy.
- New water may cloud due to reproduction of single-celled algae. After the launch of the reservoir, where the lighting is too bright and the aeration and filtration system is poorly adjusted, the algae actively multiply, causing dregs.
- It is necessary to remember about ciliates - microscopic orderlies of water. In the early days, they also multiply rapidly, giving the water a milky white color. At this time it is impossible to colonize the fish, for a start let the parameters of the reservoir stabilize.
- The gray color of the water after start-up indicates insufficient washing of the gravel before laying. It is necessary to do the washing until it becomes crystal clear in running water. If the sediment does not disappear, it means that the stone contains impurities of phosphates, silicates and heavy metals. For accurate problem detection, it is better to use litmus paper with an indicator of an alkaline environment. Perhaps, it is worth getting rid of such gravel, replacing it with quality.
- After the launch, the water became dull brown, what to do? The reason is obvious - wooden decorations can paint water, and the use of peat to soften water or filter the soil imposes its brownish color on it. Tannin and humus are safe for fish, but they change the pH level, which may not be suitable for some types of pets. The following actions - get the snags from the water, and soak them for several days in infused running water. Fish evict, and replace the soil.
- If the water is dimmed and painted in an unnatural color (pink, black, blue) - look at the color of the soil and stones. Activated charcoal will help to bring water into ordinary color - it discolors the paint.
Recommendations for the operation of recently launched aquariums
After a new life in the aquarium wakes up, you need to do the necessary procedures so that no turbidity appears in it.
- In a new aquarium, do not partially refresh the water for 2-3 weeks until the microflora has stabilized. A complete change of water is harmful for both fish and plants.
- In order to avoid organic sediment at the bottom of the aquarium, you need to do fasting days for the fish. Give the fish as much food as they eat in 1-2 minutes. Unfinished food residues can be collected personally using a special siphon.
See how to properly feed aquarium fish.
- Install a quality filter and aerator in the aquarium. Often, turbid water appears due to a poor cleaning system.
- Use heavy soil with a sinking fraction. Some types of sand or gravel are not able to sink to the bottom even a few days after the installation of the reservoir. Such a ground is deadly to all inhabitants of the reservoir. Either rinse it thoroughly or use coarser sand.
Causes of green sediment in the tank
Why did the water go turbid and turned green - what to do about it? This question is often asked by novice aquarium holders. It has a simple answer - strong growth of algae (cyanobacteria). Turning on the abundant lighting above the reservoir, they thrive. Turbid environment with microscopic algae does not harm the fish, but it causes an ugly aesthetic appearance.
Daphnia and shade do an excellent job with water blooming. Transfer the tank to a shaded area where the algae will be sensitive and stop growing. Then start daphnia, but only so that the fish did not eat them. A large amount of daphnia can eliminate green water. Also, algae are eaten by common snails, which in a couple of days will clear the pond to shine.
Why on the walls of the new tank are visible small bubbles with air? The answer is: this is all due to untreated tap water, from which chlorine has not eroded. Such water smells sharply and has a slightly white tint. If the water for the aquarium correctly insist and do not fill it early, then this effect will not.
It is not recommended to settle the fish in insufficiently infused water - excess air is harmful for them. The circulatory system of waterfowl processes this air into bubbles, blocking the walls of blood vessels. As a result of this process, the fish get gas embolism and die. The first symptoms of the disease: edema of the whole body, rich dark color. Later, the fish begin to swim on their sides, do not let anyone near them. If you do not evict the fish in time, they will get worse. Restore the normal gas balance in this water, then the animals will survive and regain a healthy, beautiful look.
Why the foul smell of decay from the aquarium? Washed, poured new water, still the problem has not disappeared.
Yes, because you have a surplus of organic water! At the same time, anaerobic processes prevail over aerobic! In other words, you have poor aeration in water, not enough oxygen. And never change all the water in the aquarium! The maximum can be replaced at a time no more than 25%! Otherwise, you disrupt the biological equilibrium in the water and you will go to a shift in the chemical composition, which is affected by bacteria living in the soil ...
Changing the water completely, you kill the beneficial microflora and set the stage for the development of harmful bacteria. Improve the filtration and blowing of water, do not pour a lot of feed into the ode, especially dry, which should be eliminated altogether, and in 3-5 days everything will disappear by itself ... You will get the so-called old water, with established biological balance.
The main problem is that you probably have an aquarium on the sunny side, in this case the water quickly begins to bloom and, accordingly, an unpleasant smell appears !! ! The second is that it may be standing water, therefore a constant circulation of water is necessary. You can use the pump compressor. This equipment should work most of the day. And my advice to you is to change the water a maximum of once a year. Because fish create their own microflora, and frequent water changes lead to disruption of microflora, which in turn leads to illness and death of fish. Water must be poured over the place of water that has gone bad, and sometimes with the help of a usual thin hose to clean the bottom of the aquarian, from food residue, etc., and with the help of a brush, clean the walls of the aquarian. Believe you, the aquarian will be in perfect condition. I have not changed the water for 4 years, and the aquarian is perfectly clean and the water is transparent like a tear
Firstly, it is necessary to check the operation of the filter - enough water saturation with oxygen, secondly, check the temperature and illumination - the water temperature should be no more than 27-28 degrees, the illumination should not cause the development of blue-green algae, thirdly, although once a year it is necessary to perform a full cleaning of the aquarium with washing of the soil, stones, accessories of the aquarium, it is necessary to remove the growths on the stones and accessories with a brush. You can also use the tool to combat blue-green algae.
Close watercolor. opaque blanket for a week or two. Fish feed in 3-4 days, little by little. Do not die, do not be afraid. You can add trypaflavin or methylene blue to water. Instructions on the package. You are probably overfeeding fish. The remains decompose in water, forming a putrid odor. While the water is not established biological balance, watercolor does not open! ! It would be nice to take the "old water" from familiar aquarists, from a good, healthy aquarium. Then the process will go faster. In the prosperous aqua water smells of hay. Very nice to smell like that. Filter wash and disinfect. Water aeration to continue. Good luck !!
Why is the water in the aquarium muddy and stinks?
In general, there are a lot of reasons why water will deteriorate ... Improper lighting too much food is thrown into the water by the absence of filters in an aquarium, bacteria, etc.
For the night, the aquarium should be well treated first, then cleaned with boiled salted boiling water, the whole grund is boiled well in salt water, the algae should be examined if they are not bright green, not damaged, see if they are black dots if there is easier to throw out and buy New to heal, knowledge is needed, and you, I assume, are new to this, fish should be fed no more than once every 3 days and the food that you feed should be eaten in a minute and not set on the bottom of the aquarium and rot ...
after treatment, water must be poured at least 24 hours in the distance ... at least ...
Go to the pet store buy AKUTAN, this is a blue liquid, add it to the water at the rate of a cap of 10 liters ... and then run the fish for 3 days, the water will have a slightly white turbid but within 3 days it will change ... and the aquarium should stand in a dark place but have a good daylight lamp ... and do not forget about the number of fish at the rate of 1 fish 3-5 liters of water Ie per 10 liters of water no more than 2-3 fish of average size ... if possible, there should be a filter pump water should circulate and clean constantly good Other filters have cells for adding coal to ceramics. Well, they will tell you about this at the pet store, and so good luck, and if you ask anything ...
Apparently, either pour water not previously defended, or algae are bred there.
With algae can fight. There are water snails that devour them.
And be sure to plant a water in the water - a crochet - sold in the market. A plant that protects water from "dirt."
Perhaps the filter does not work well or something got started there that it is difficult to remove it just by changing the water. It can be algae (small ones at all) and then you need to buy in the pet store a means to combat such algae. Or just try again not just to change the water, but even boil the soil and boil over everything that you have installed in the aquarium
damn, well, what are you ?? ? Why change the water then ?? ? it is so necessary! You see, you probably planted the plants there, so from the plants of day 2, the water must grow cloudy, and then everything will pass !! ! and do not change the water so often !!!! it is generally very rarely changed, and the fish will die then ... everything is fine with your aquarium
maybe you have a lot of fish and the aquarium is small. 1 liter of water 1 fish about. Try boiling pebbles all, maybe there are bacteria that bred and multiply very good. quickly, water poured into the aquarium. but in general, the smaller the aquarium, the more worries with it !! ! It very often needs to be washed. but if it becomes cloudy in one day, then you need to look for the cause, and the fish do not die ???
* N *
In the aquarium, fish need oxygen, a water filter, and even the water does not like a lot of light (it starts to bloom).
If there are pebbles and shells, they should be boiled, water should be boiled and water should be poured and boiled again for 2 hours, the aquarium should be washed with soda, the plants should be washed thoroughly. Before you pour water into the aquarium, you need to defend the water for 3 days, then pour it into the aquarium, then put oxygen into the water and after 20 minutes you can let the fish.
The tank should be at least 25 liters. Otherwise, it will not be an aquarium, but crap! There necessarily need a filter and pump (bubbles). Sunlight should not be on the aquarium. Fish should be fed 2-3 times a day in small portions. Water changes no more than 30% at a time. Immediately start the fish can not be! It is necessary to first establish a biobalance. (about 4-5 days). Generally dig a good internet! You probably first have fish, then an aquarium, then plants, and then food. all the way around!