How much to defend the water for the aquarium?
This issue has been considered repeatedly in the forums, in the reference literature, and it would seem that it does not make sense to discuss anew how much to defend and how to fill in the water during the next substitution. In most cases, the argument of the opponents is as follows: "the longer, the better the water", "let all the muck disappear," "a week is needed for everything to work out."
In this case, the aquarists are not in a hurry to justify these arguments, and water changes should be carried out regularly. Consider in detail the time interval for the preparation of water.
Why do you need to defend the water?
The main reason for this is harmful impurities that can harm the inhabitants of our aquarium. After settling, solids sometimes appear in the sediment. Initially clear water after a while can grow turbid.
Many aquarists leave the water for substitution to breathe for a few days, and so that all harmful suspensions evaporate for a week. This assumption is partly true, but it cannot guarantee the quality of the prepared water.
Before we do something, we always know why we need to do it. By keeping tap water outside the pipeline, we are trying to improve its performance so that it does not harm our fish. In other words, when defending water, we get rid of most of the malicious components.
Conditionally harmful substances in the water can be divided into:
- solid (precipitates to the bottom);
- gaseous (volatilized from water to the environment);
- liquid (initially dissolved and remaining in water).
The process of settling can affect only solid and gaseous mixtures, and it does not affect liquid substances in any way.
The sedimentation of water gives the most pronounced result in the presence of solids. In accordance with sanitary standards, in their tap water should not be.
However, considering the quality of old water pipes (rust in pipes), maintenance of pumping stations by unqualified personnel and other factors, it is impossible to exclude the presence of solid constituents in drinking water.
If the plumbing is modern, made of plastic pipes and fittings, there will be no suspended solids in the water.It is necessary to defend water until complete precipitation of solid impurities in the sediment is not more than a day, a further increase in the time of the result will not give.
Lime sediment on the inner walls of the kettle says that you have a high carbonate hardness of water and it manifests itself only when boiling. High rigidity is harmful only to certain types of fish. If it is necessary to lower it, then there are other ways to do it. Defending such water will not give any result.
If water is collected from a well, well or spring, the solids may be present in the form of clay particles or grains of sand, which create turbidity. Such a suspension for aquatic inhabitants is not dangerous. You need to pay attention to the fact that in its appearance it does not resemble clay milk (possibly contaminated gills in fish).
True, no one aquarist will use such water for his fish.
The presence of clay particles in the water gives a slime that does not precipitate quickly. Messing with cleaning is not worth it. To accelerate the achievement of full transparency, you can plant floating plants with a developed root system, it perfectly collects clay particles.
Summarizing the solids in the water, you can say:
- Type water in any transparent container and leave it for several hours.
- If there are impurities discussed above, then it will be noticeable after an hour (a precipitate will appear on the bottom, or pieces of rust).
- In the presence of visible constituents of solid impurities, each time before the substitution, it is necessary to defend water (no more than 12 hours, further inefficient). In the absence of suspensions in water (and they are extremely rare), settling to remove solids is impractical.
- Once a year we take water samples to control solids.
Gaseous constituents of water
This type of substance evaporates through the surface of the water. Here one can consider the quantitative and qualitative compositions of dissolved gases in water. Gaseous substances in natural water enter into chemical reactions with other dissolved elements, due to diffusion they constantly circulate through the water mirror and are harmless and harmless to fish.
The method of water disinfection for your area can be found in the local water utility, this information will not be superfluous. At new water treatment plants, ozone and ultraviolet cleaning is applied, and such water can be added without fear (it is pointless to defend against oxygen and photons).
The outdated chlorine cleaning method is gradually becoming a thing of the past, but is still in use. Chlorine and its derivatives are poisons. They allow the destruction of both harmful bacteria and beneficial ones, as well as depending on the concentration of large animals and even humans.
Method of elimination of gaseous chlorine from water
Unpleasant smell of chlorine coming from freshly poured water, everyone knows. Water, being in a cup, ceases to smell after a while, and this means that chlorine molecules have evaporated. If the fish are placed in newly recruited chlorinated water, they will die from body burns and gill petals.
Having made some observations on settling, it can be seen that chlorine evaporates quite quickly. It is not necessary to stand for water from the tap for more than a day, since the residual chlorine cannot affect the health of the fish.
The important point is the choice of dishes. The greater the area of contact of water with the environment, the faster the gas exchange occurs, and chlorine disappears. From this it follows that when settling water in a large-diameter basin, it will become suitable for an aquarium much faster than using a plastic bottle.It is impossible to cover the used dishes with a lid and even more so to twist the bottle, since there will be no place for volatilization of gas impurities, and the water which was chlorinated will remain so.
Ozone and its effect on fish
With ozone, things are somewhat different. It does not have a pronounced smell, although it carries freshness. Under natural conditions, we feel it during a thunderstorm, during the operation of air conditioners (ozonizing) and laser printers. Before water is supplied to the drinking pipeline, the process of its ozonization takes place, the ozone molecules are unstable and quickly pass into a stable compound - oxygen. Well, oxygen is not dangerous to fish.
Other gaseous impurities
If you pour fresh water from the tap, then you can observe a certain amount of bubbles on the walls of the tank. They are formed due to the presence of excess gases dissolved in water. When refilling fresh water directly into the aquarium, gas compounds appear on the plants, the skin of the fish, and the aquarium.
If the fish gets an excess of gas, then bubbles form in the circulatory system, which leads to blockage of blood vessels, gas emboli and, as a result, to death.This can happen if the aquarium fish, bringing home, immediately settle into a container with fresh water. Beginners aquarists are always warned that it is impossible to do so!
Also, the appearance of bubbles can be caused by the method of pumping water into the water supply system. Cold water pumped into the pipes under high pressure loses it sharply at the exit, and the gases evaporate into the atmosphere. If you type this water in a glass, it will be covered in bubbles that pop up along the walls to the surface. It is necessary to defend a little.
With regular water changes in the aquarium, most likely, there will be no bubbles. Fresh and clean water does not greatly increase the number of gas-containing mixtures in the total volume, so you can not be afraid of the appearance of single bubbles on the fins of the fish.
From all of the above for gas mixtures it can be noted that:
- chlorine poses the greatest danger;
- upholding spend more than a day does not make sense;
- in order to speed up the process of settling, it is necessary to provide strong aeration in the water tank (even simple mixing with a pump will significantly shorten the time for gas mixtures to exit);
- For the use of fresh water (without upholding), you can add special components to it, which are very large in the sale, and after 10-15 minutes the liquid is suitable for adding to the aquarium.
Substances dissolved in water
The most dangerous components of water are dissolved impurities. They do not precipitate to the bottom, do not fly away into the environment and are invisible. Defending them does not affect.
There are a large number of such substances, and many are not classified. It is almost impossible to say exactly what harmful substances are in tap water without special chemical analysis. In addition, the composition of the water is not constant.
You can only say that in water with chlorine antibacterial cleaning there is a mass of liquid chlorine constituents (in the greatest amount of chloramine), which remain on settling. From this it follows that in the presence of chlorine water it is necessary to use special conditioners that will remove not only gas chlorine, but also bind chloramines.
In water, ammonia, nitrites, hydrogen sulfide may be present in large quantities. If the dose is large, the fish will suddenly become bad when changing water. An aquarium with advanced biofiltration (bacteria nitrifying) will transfer these harmful substances, and just launched can die.
The most unstable period in terms of water composition in the water supply is spring. Melting snow on the fields that were treated with various chemicals in the past season form streams flowing into reservoirs. And from them there is a water intake for the needs of the population.
Therefore, it is very important at this time of the year to process water for substitution with conditioners that bind nitrites, ammonia, chlorine, metals, etc. The choice of conditioner depends on your capabilities and the aquarium. This market is now widely represented. It is better to consult on this issue directly with the sellers.
Is there a need for water settling?
In order for the tap water to be normalized for replacement in an aquarium, it is necessary to remove from it all the harmful components - solid, gaseous and liquid.
Today, upholding is very rarely relevant. Solid components in the water supply system have isolated cases, chlorine water derivatives must be removed by air conditioning (chlorine gas is also removed), and liquid ones - only by special air conditioning. Polluted water settles for several hours, and with strong aeration much faster.
From all of the above, it is clear that it is best to use special additives for water. Settling water does not completely remove harmful substances, and in some cases it may even be harmful (a dusty film appears, stuffiness, etc.).
From personal experience:
- I collect the necessary amount of water for the substitution;
- add air conditioning according to the instructions;
- perform aeration for 15 minutes;
- I bring the temperature of fresh water (with air conditioning) into accord with the aquarium one;
- I fill, and that's it.
The advantages of this method of water preparation: all harmful substances are removed, no need to wait until the water settles, the pots do not harm the interior of the room.
Video from the company Tetra on how to properly prepare the water for the aquarium:
How much to defend the water for the aquarium
Having bought such a long-awaited aquarium and admiring fish that are floating slowly, each of the lucky owners of such a treasure sooner or later have a question about how much to defend the water for the aquarium and why? This question is not only incredibly important, but the life of the tiny inhabitants of the vessel depends on the correctness of the fulfillment of these conditions.
The importance of defending aquarium water
It is difficult to overestimate the importance of water settling in the aquarium. First of all, it is necessary in order to get rid of all kinds of parasites that may be in its composition. Since all microorganisms need living organisms for their vital activity, in this case the goal of the parasites can be fish. And at the time when the water is settled, next to each other, not a single living object is observed, which leads to the death of all sorts of microorganisms.
Also during this procedure occurs and the complete destruction of chlorine, which is also present in large quantities in water. And this is not to mention the possible saturation of moisture with various poisons or hazardous substances that begin to disintegrate only after a certain number of days. In addition, the settled water equalizes its temperature, which allows the fish to not feel any discomfort.
What should be done to reduce the time of settling water?
But if you follow all the rules, the water should be defended for at least a week, and sometimes life conditions and modern realities do not give so much time and then you have to urgently look for ways to speed up this procedure. In this case, special reagents, called chlorinators, are a great help because of their combination of chlorine and ammonia. With their use, literally within a couple of hours, the water will become completely ready for pouring into the aquarium. In addition, due to its diversity and accessibility, it is possible to purchase such reagents absolutely at any pet store.
In addition, the use of sodium thiosulfate is another way to reduce the time spent. These drugs are easily purchased at any market or pharmacy kiosk. But it is worth remembering that they are applied in the ratio of 1 to 10.
Prepare the water
As already mentioned, the quality of moisture directly affects both the environment of the aquarium and the level of comfort of its inhabitants, namely the fish. That is why it is necessary to clearly understand that the water flowing in the tap is completely unsuitable for replacement without prior preparation.
And first of all we check the quality of the water that flows in the tap. If it does not have an unpleasant odor and visually does not show signs of rust, then it is allowed into the vessel for the bay. But even here one should be careful and use only cold, but not hot water, in order to avoid chlorine and other conditionally harmful elements in the aquarium. So, they include:
- Solid, precipitated to the bottom.
- Gaseous type with the ability to evaporate into the environment.
- Liquid, dissolving in water and continuing to remain in it.
That is why you need to defend the water, so as not to give the slightest chance to affect the harmful bacteria on the life of fish in the aquarium.
Solid type impurities
The best result is water settling in the fight against solid impurities. Yes, and standards of sanitation indicate the complete absence of such elements in the water. But, unfortunately, the old water pipes and pipes that have been out of service for a long time, rare preventive repairs and unqualified personnel lead to their presence in the water consumed by people. It would be possible to avoid such a situation only if there is a plumbing pipe with plastic pipes. In all other cases, to completely clean the moisture you need to follow the following rules. First of all, the water collected from the tap is poured into a transparent container and left for some time (2-3 hours). After a certain time, a visual inspection is carried out for the presence of precipitated sediment and small pieces of rust. If such are detected, the water is poured into a new container and again left for a certain time period. Such actions are carried out until the water remains completely clean.
Unlike solid, gaseous elements, based on its name, evaporate into the air. But since they are combined with other soluble elements in the aquatic environment, they do not pose a particular danger to the fish. The method of water purification itself is quite simple. It is enough to take water in any of the weights and leave for a few days. Monitoring the volatilization of harmful substances is more expedient to carry out after 10-12 hours. So, the absence of chlorine is very easily determined by the change in the smell of water. If a specific aroma was felt before, then after the settling, it should completely disappear.
One of the main hazards for fish, are substances that are completely dissolved in water. And the process of getting rid of them also carries with it certain difficulties. So, they do not precipitate and do not evaporate into the air. That is why in the fight against such impurities it is best to use special conditioners that can not only cope with chlorine, but also combine chloramines among themselves. You can buy them in specialized stores. It is also recommended to consult with the seller before buying. In addition, it is recommended to install a biofiltration system in the aquarium that can transfer these dangerous elements.
The process of settling water is recommended to be held once every seven days. But the replacement is best done not all of the liquid, but only only 1/5 parts. Но помимо отстаивания, есть еще один способ поддержки благотворной окружающей среды в аквариуме. И заключается он в фильтрации воды. На сегодня выделяют несколько типов фильтрации. Так, она бывает:
- Механического плана
Что нужно помнить при отстаивании воды?
Исходя из всего вышеперечисленного, становится понятно, зачем нужно проводить отстаивание воды. Но для того, чтобы ничем не нарушить сложившийся баланс окружающей среды внутри аквариума следует помнить про несколько нюансов. So, in the first place, the replacement of water in no case should not be carried out too harshly, thus risking to cause the strongest stress among the tiny inhabitants of the vessel, which can even lead to the most deplorable results. The replacement process itself must be carried out in parts and only after the complete purification of the soil.
Also, in the absence of a coating in an aquarium, after a while a thin film appears on it. Therefore, when it is detected, it must also be removed with a clean sheet of paper, the size of which should correspond to the size of the aquarium. To do this, gently put a sheet of paper in the water and lift it, holding the edges. If necessary, the procedure is repeated several times.
And most importantly, it should be understood that the cleaning procedure should be carried out without the use of any chemical agents and without making sudden and rapid movements, so as not to frighten the fish in any way.
Why in the aquarium: all the answers
Why in the aquarium ... all answers!
1. Why aquarium? Long since, since the times of ancient China, people were fond of breeding aquarium fish! This is an interesting and exciting experience. Like any thing, an aquarium has its own advantages and disadvantages, but it seems to me that a hobby for aquarism makes a person kinder and better. Look, please, here are these articles: I WANT TO LEAD AN AQUARIUM! HOW TO BUY AN AQUARIUM? I WANT AQUARIUM WITH WHAT TO BEGIN? Typical aquarium questions beginners. And also, AQUARIUM FAILURES: do we really need these fish?
2. Why in the aquarium snails? Snails, along with fish, are full inhabitants of the aquarium. In addition to the aesthetic characteristics, aquarium snails are health workers of the aquarium world - they eat fish waste and waste products, clean the walls of the aquarium and plants. In addition, some fish are not averse to eating clams, and therefore many aquarists get them as a food. Read the YELLOW SNAIL AMPULARIA IN YOUR AQUARIUM and the SNAIL COIL.
3. Why in the aquarium light? In fact, the light in the aquarium fish do not need. The person needs him more to be able to observe his pets at any time of the day. Light is definitely needed by aquarium plants that simply will die without it, so if there are live plants in your aquarium, keep this in mind. To find out which plant, how much light you need, see AQUARIUM PLANTS.
4. Why in the aquarium plants and algae? Plants, both on Earth and under water, are “light” ecosystems! Do not underestimate the role of plants and algae in an aquarium. They are the main regulators of the normal operation of the aquarium biosystem. In addition, many fish aquarium just need a vegetable feed. And some fish use plants as shelters and spawning grounds. See FISHING EATING PLANTS WHAT TO DO?
5. Why in aquarium co2? Why carbon dioxide in the aquarium? The co2 system and carbon dioxide are needed by aquarium plants. With such a system, plants feel good and grow. See, CO2 for an aquarium: carbon dioxide supply system + CO2 table!
6. Why in the aquarium need a compressor filter? Compressor, filter, aeration - this is the basic equipment that is necessary for the functioning of the aquarium. They provide the presence of dissolved oxygen in the water, which is necessary for fish, they clean the aquarium water from waste products and other harmful substances. In addition, the aquarium water is circulated through this equipment. See WHAT YOU NEED TO AQUARIUM: what to consider when choosing an aquarium and which fish to buy?
7. Why defend water for an aquarium? Tap water is defended in order to get out of it excess dissolved oxygen, which is detrimental to fish. In addition, some impurities evaporate from the settled water — for example, bleach. See WATER CHANGE IN THE AQUARIUM! WHAT WATER IS NEEDED FOR THE AQUARIUM? How much water should be defended for the aquarium? What kind of water to fill! and boiled thawed or distilled water for an aquarium.
8. Why add salt to the aquarium? Salt is used to treat aquarium fish and for some species of fish that love brackish water. Read the article PUD OF SALT IN THE AQUARIUM: how much salt to add to the aquarium?See Aquarium for beginners. Category: Aquarium Articles / EQUIPMENT AND FACILITY AQUARIUM | Views: 6 999 | Date: 3-06-2013, 16:02 | Comments (1) We also recommend reading:
- - Aggressive aquarium fish - black list of villains
- - "POSSIBLE FISHES" - blitz all the answers
- - Aquarium live fish or imitation, which is better
- - You can aquarium: all the answers
- - The origin and meaning of the word aquarium
Water change in the aquarium, what kind of water is needed for the aquarium?
CHANGE OF WATER IN THE AQUARIUM! WHAT WATER IS NEEDED FOR THE AQUARIUM?
How much water should be defended for the aquarium?
(water preparation)Let's talk about the questions asked in order:
In order for chlorine to evaporate and a 24-hour excess of dissolved oxygen will be enough to keep the tap water. The maximum water for the aquarium defend 14 days. This should be done in a bowl with a wide neck.
I note that in pet stores sold a large number of specials. preparations for adaptation of tap water (for example, AquaSafe from the Tetra series, etc.). In addition, these drugs have additional additives that improve the quality of aquarium water. I strongly recommend using them.
Frequently asked questions: About changing aquarium water, for example, is it possible to replace aquarium water (1/4 volume) with undisturbed tap water?
- You can do nothing terrible (one thing, but: it should be about the same temperature as in the aquarium, do not pour ice water from the tap). But still, if you are a caring owner or fish are expensive ... Do not be lazy to defend the water.
When changing aquarium water, always remember that old water is always better than fresh water. In many sources, they talk about the need to replace the weekly aquarium water to fresh. Personally, I disagree with that. Since the older the aquarium water, the better it is configured biological balance. I replace the aquarium water in my aquariums about once a month and I think that this is quite enough. For ten years aquarium management "complaints" from aquarium fish on this issue have been reported.
Making conclusions and summing up, I emphasize:
- Frequent change of aquarium water is not needed!
- The frequency of changing the aquarium water to fresh depends on the volume of your aquarium. The larger the aquarium, the less need to replace the aquarium water.
- The change of aquarium water can be carried out with non-settled water (up to 1/5 parts). But not desirable !!! )))
- The turbidity of the aquarium water after the replacement with fresh - direct evidence of a violation of the biological balance in the aquarium. (clouding will pass by itself, in 3-5 days).
- Answering the question what kind of water is needed for an aquarium and fish? I will say, the "old" is better than the "new". If the water is green, dirty or muddy - use aquarium coal and other specials. drugs. In addition, consider the specifics of your fish. For example, discus - very picky to the conditions of detention and require frequent replacement of the new "super quality water" and high temperature.
- When carrying out a complete change of aquarium water (restarting the aquarium), pour into the container and leave at least 1/3 of the old water. Exception, disease and quarantine aquarium!
- Changing the aquarium water should follow the "cleaning of the aquarium", and not vice versa.
I recommend also to read the article. AQUARIUM WATER from which you will learn about the qualitative components of aquarium water and methods for balancing them in the home.Video about changing the water in the aquarium:
Aquarium for beginnersAquarium water temperature
Boiled thawed or distilled water for aquarium. Category: Aquarium Articles / EQUIPMENT AND FACILITY AQUARIUM | Views: 34 639 | Date: 5-03-2013, 10:11 | Comments (2) We also recommend reading:
- - Fluorescent, glowing fish GloFish
- - What is the aH redox potential of aquarium water
- - How to leave the aquarium and fish alone and unattended and go on vacation or a business trip
- - The background for the aquarium, how to glue and fasten
- - Soil for the aquarium, which soil is better?
How long do you need to defend the water for the aquarium?
it depends on the water that you use ... Moscow enough to defend the day ...
... it is possible with a compressor for 3-4 hours, but only if the composition of fish is aqu. allows ...
it is necessary to completely drain and clean the ACV only in emergency cases ...
use part of the old water is necessary ... at least a third, better than 50% ...
and then pour the water completely out of the tap ... aeration and pumps for all the power ...
after 5-6 hours, plant fish ...
Recommendations are also suitable for Moscow water ...
the whiteness of the water is subsequently the norm ... nothing needs to be done ...
We defend the Moscow tap water for a new aquarium within 24 hours, run the fish and understand that there is a certain risk.
Recently, special compositions have been added to hot water, which, at elevated concentrations, for example, in scalars, can cause destruction of the protective mucous layer. Scalaries began to spin and die after being placed in an aquarium with water discharged for 3 days. The survivors circled fins. Most other species of fish felt good. This is an exceptional case, but you should consider the possibility of such problems.
For Moscow, we can recommend:
- defend the water for a new aquarium for 2 days;
- Replace with water (of the same temperature) up to 1/5 of the volume of the aquarium once every 2 weeks.
If water is changed regularly and the fish are used to it, the volume of water replaced can be increased and vice versa.
How much water should be defended to run the fish? aquarium from scratch
About 10 days. It's not about water, you can save it with air conditioning directly from chlorine and other impurities, but from bio-balance.
"The first day.
1. Install the aquarium on the stand, install the cover and turn on the aquarium lamps to ensure that they work. Lighting you need only a week, but in the work of electrical equipment you need to make sure in advance. In addition, you need the light for laying the ground and forming the design of the aquarium.
2. Wash the aquarium with soda or other non-toxic detergent. Do not use household chemicals for washing. If the aquarium is small, you can fill it, rinse without chemistry and drain the water.
3. Install equipment (usually a filter, compressor, heater) and check its operation.
4. Pour the soil. If an irregular tab is needed - do it on an empty aquarium - then it will be more difficult. If you have a heavy decor with sharp edges, it is advisable to put plexiglass or polystyrene on the bottom before backfilling.
5. Install the stones and snags.
6. Install and decorate the air compressor filters and tubes.
7. Install a thermometer.
8. Fill the aquarium with cold water. To prevent soil erosion, put a saucer on the bottom of the aquarium and pour water on it with a not too strong stream. If you use a hose to fill the water, the shower nozzle will not be superfluous. You can add special conditioners to improve water quality, but do not think that they will quickly prepare the water. Air conditioners will bind harmful substances and heavy metals, but they will not populate your aquarium with the necessary bacteria in the required quantity.
9. Turn on the filter, turn on the compressor and thermostat. Set the thermostat to the required temperature in the future.
10. Do not turn on the light!
11. Do not plant plants, mollusks and fish in any case!
Day two and three - monitor the operation of the equipment.
Fourth-seventh day - you can plant simple plants (rogolotnik, elodeya, etc.) and invertebrates. Fish can not be planted.
Light can be turned on for 3-5 hours per day. (If you have already planted plants, then you need)
In case of turbidity of water, do not take any action - the nitrogen cycle is being installed
Seven or ten days - we plant some first-mover fish (unpretentious live-bears, danios, and so on)
We expose the light in the normal mode (usually 10-12 hours a day)
Observe and control, feed the fish to a minimum.
10-15 days - we wait a little more in the same mode.
Day 15 - we land the remaining population, which was assumed, but not the whole bunch at once, but in parts.
We plant the remaining plants
Feed the fish in normal mode. This is where the initial launch process can be considered complete. It remains to learn to care for the aquarium and enjoy the contemplation of the hand-made world) "
How many days do you need to defend the water for the aquarium?
It depends on what kind of aquarium you have. Or rather, its volume ... I pour everything straight from the tap ... into everything. I have a total volume of all 600l aquariums need to be changed once a week to 20% of the total volume and where then to defend the water? !!! There are air conditioners for the preparation of aquarium water ... removing chlorine and heavy metal.
Since in our conditions it is almost impossible to find water with optimal characteristics, it is prepared by mixing waters of different hardness, boiling, demineralization, using plant extracts, chemicals and filtration.
Well, water stopped to defend already 30 years ago, it is much easier to use special water conditioners. which instantly remove not only chlorine, but also bind various heavy metals and other harmful impurities. You drip some drops of such conditioner on a bucket and everything can be poured in a minute.
The most popular of the bottom are Sera aqutan and Tetra AquaSafe.
But there is no need to specially prepare water, mix, and so on :) This is required only in rare cases, for example, when breeding very rare and capricious fish. When you grow to such a level to breed rhodostomusy, then I will teach you how to properly prepare the water, but so far it is absolutely not necessary.