How to get rid of the smell in the aquarium :: should the aquarium smell like :: Apartment and cottage :: Other
How to get rid of the smell in the aquarium
Some novice aquarists are faced with this situation: recently changed water suddenly begins to emit a whole bunch of unpleasant odors. The solution to this problem depends on the cause of the stench, and there may be several ways out.
The question "how to restore the certificate of registration of ownership of 1/4 apartments, the type of registered right is a common share ownership" - 1 answer
1. The first thing that can be done is to thoroughly clean the aquarium and everything that is in it (stones, shells, decorative castles, houses, etc.). Rinse the inside of the glass well, as even if at first glance they seem to be clean, they may still have a slippery water stain on them. If a few days later from the aquarium again smells unpleasant, you need to look for more reasons in more detail.
2. First, determine which smell comes from your tank. If it smells a bit of mud or swamp, you can calm down. This fragrance means only that everything is in order with him and his inhabitants. This aquarium should smell like a river.
3. If you feel completely different unpleasant odors - rotten eggs, onions or garlic, you must take decisive action. The smell of onions can produce some aquatic plants. For example, if in your aquarium cryptocarins live, there may be such a smell. In this case, add to them a pair of ambulium bushes, a little hornpole, and a few hemianthus bushes. Unpleasant aroma should disappear.
4. The cause of the unpleasant the smell there may be impurities that accumulate at the bottom of the "pond" - this is both the waste products of fish, and the remnants of food. If the aquarium is too large and there is no possibility to wash it completely, just draw a primer siphon. For this purpose, a special device is used in the form of a hose with a tip through which water passes, taking with it all the accumulated dirt.
5. Together with the ground siphon it is necessary to carry out the process of partial replacement of water. This will also help to heal the atmosphere and remove substances harmful to fish. This should be done twice a week, at the same time it is necessary to replace from 20 to 30% of the water in the aquarium. You can use ordinary tap water, but it must be defended during the day.
6. Determine if the fish have enough oxygen. To do this, see if they float close to the surface, gasping for air. In this case, you need to buy a good air compressor, which must constantly work, providing good aeration.
Why does water smell in an aquarium?
Unpleasant smell from the aquarium - the problem of many fish owners. Basically, beginner aquarists suffer from this. As a result, the fish get sick and die, the aquarium deteriorates, and in the apartment there is a disgusting smell of rotten water.
In order to avoid these sad consequences, you need to monitor the condition of the water, and in case of an unpleasant smell, find the cause and eliminate it.
The first cause of smell is water spoilage from time to time. Aquarium should be periodically cleaned, change the water, wash the soil and plants. The smaller the volume, the more frequently the water should be renewed.
The second reason why the water in the aquarium smells is food. Poor quality food leads to the deterioration of water. Therefore, when a rapid odor is detected, you should try to buy food elsewhere or purchase other types of food for fish.
If, after changing the feed, the water still continues to quickly grow turbid and smell, then it is worth reducing the amount of food. After all, as you know, it is better not to feed, than to feed the aquatic inhabitants. Excess feed settles to the bottom and causes microorganisms to appear, which spread the smell.
The next reason is overpopulation of the aquarium. This is a problem for beginners who want to place various kinds of fish in a small container, and then begin to wonder why the aquarium smells. Each fish needs its own space, which it loses with the appearance of new inhabitants. In addition, every living thing releases feces, which leads to water pollution.
The reason for the smell of water can be some types of plants. This point should be clarified when buying in the store. Certain herbs are able to release a certain amount of a substance that causes water to rot. It happens in small aquariums. In containers, however, large volumes of grass exposure are not noticeable.
The lack of oxygen in the water also leads to odor. Therefore it is worth buying a special compressor or filter with air circulation function. A sufficient amount of oxygen in the water will keep it clean for a long time.
Why does water foam and need to do something
Some distributors of ornamental fish and other water pets periodically encountered the problem of pollution and the formation of foam in the aquarium. There are several factors that affect water performance: some are related to the lifetime of the tank, others are related to the frequency of care and maintenance, and others are related to external factors. If water foams in the home aquarium - what are the causes of this phenomenon, and how to clean the liquid?
Water clarifiers with the effect of water purification
The first step in eliminating any water contamination is finding the best way to remove dirt. There are many chemicals that partially purify water, but they only hide the "symptoms" that are solved by proper care of the tank.
Chemical granules remove superficial contamination, while water can be cleaned on its own within a few hours, otherwise artificial purification will not affect the water indicators at all. Aquarists who have problems with frothy water use these preparations for water. As a result, the water foams even more, acquiring a milky white shade.
Why does water foaming and bubbling in new aquariums
When you first launched a new aquarium, it begins a new cycle, so the biological components of the filter are ready to eliminate fish waste. Clear or "milky" water may be the result of such a process, but usually it appears at the end of this cycle. If the fish tank is only a few weeks old, or it only works for a couple of days, the water can also foam and bubble.
Bubbles are formed both on the surface of the water and in the middle layers. It can bubble when the aquarium is just started, and ammonia, nitrates have not eroded from the water, or during the first aeration of water. Unfortunately, the only way to remove bubbles on the surface is to be patient. When the cycle is completed, the foaminess will disappear by itself, the water will again become crystal clear. Otherwise, additional measures will have to be taken.
See how to clean the aquarium filter.
If there is no fish in the aquarium, but water foams on the surface
- If the tank is new and the fish have not been settled in it (the new cycle has not started), then white or gray foam may arise due to the presence of untreated snags or other decorations in it that should be washed with cool running water before introducing it into the aquarium.
- When installing an unwashed filter, its contaminated mechanical elements may trash debris causing foam. The filter is recommended to disassemble, rinse.
- It is possible that some object that is used as decoration in the aquarium, dissolved in water, or otherwise it is not safe for the aquarium. It can produce any foam color, although gray or milky white is the most common. The item must be removed, it is also recommended to change the water.
- Buy aquarium decorations in proven pet stores. Carefully check the rocks, grottoes, caves and coconuts before installing in the tank. If, after treatment with running water, they change shape, melt, become soft - this is a bad signal. It means that there are weak spots in them, it is better not to place them in the water.
- Make sure that the decorations are not painted, that the paint does not peel off, or discolor. If there is salted water in the aquarium, or it is reefy (for African cichlids), it is recommended to remove coral skeletons or seashells from it, which can increase the level of pH and water hardness. After removing the harmful elements, the frothy water should go off, the water parameters will return to normal. Additional pond filtration will also help.
Watch a video on how to care for an aquarium.
What else provokes the formation of foam in the aquarium
- Chemicals (medicine for fish and fertilizer for plants) can react with organic substances, creating a frothy “cloud” on the surface of the water. To prevent this, minimize the use of chemicals and additives in water. Before adding drugs to the general aquarium, test it in a separate container with water to get an idea of the consequences. The problem will fix the change of water and filtering.
- Irregular renewal of water to fresh and clean provokes foaming of the surface. Garbage, waste in the form of under-fed food, scales accumulate and begin to either float or dissolve. Cyanobacteria can also bloom, causing cloudy water. Again, update 10-20% of the water weekly.
- Frequent water changes are also not always appropriate. Permanent procedures (2-3 times a week) cause turbidity of water, and the bacteria that provide biological filtration simply disappear before they can recover. Regular, portioned water changes will help keep the nursery clean, fresh and healthy.
- Abundant feeding of fish, amphibians and reptiles also leads to pollution of the aquatic environment. Feed portions. The stomachs of animals are not so big as to consume feed bags. They have enough feed for two minutes.
- Overcrowding in the nursery also adversely affects water quality. A large number of fish do not get along with each other, are under constant stress, which impairs their appearance and shortens their life. In addition, it provokes the growth of algae, additional maintenance, as a result - the formation of foam on the surface. It is possible to settle 1 small fish per 10 liters of water, 20-30 liters - one big fish, which will reduce the amount of foam in the water.
- If the aquarium is not sufficiently filtered, or a poor-quality filter is installed that is not properly maintained, the water will not be effectively treated. In addition, it will not be cleansed of impurities of organic matter, algae, cyanobacteria and foam may appear later. Regular testing of the filter and its design can detect the cause of the problem by preventing it.
See also: Why does the water grow turbid in the aquarium?
What is the temperature of the water like scalar?
Scalaria (lat. Pterophyllun scalare) is one of the most popular aquarium fish of the Cichlid family. Many species of this fish were removed from South American reservoirs, while others were bred by breeding one or more forms. The common angelfish is perhaps an example of a classic aquarium fish - a disc-shaped body shape, tall and slightly short, with lush sail-like fins. At first glance, it is not so easy to keep such a pet in an aquarium, but this opinion is wrong. They have a peaceful nature, non-aggressive. They can settle different types of fish of the same calm and medium in size: discus, festivals, crayfish, gourami.
It so happens that novice aquarists acquire a scalar without learning the main rules for caring for them. Run into a new aquarium, where the biological balance of the environment has not stabilized. Improper temperature, high acidity, hard water will quickly ruin the health of the angelfish. The presence of nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and non-evaporated chlorine in water also negatively affects the quality of life of pets. With the fluctuations of such substances the scalars can not cope. This also applies to the parameters of the water in the spawning aquarium, where you have to follow the rules of keeping producers and their brood.
Watch the video story about the content of the scalar.
Therefore, it is important for scalar to maintain a temperature regime. As endemics of tropical freshwater, they are accustomed to warm water. Lowering the temperature of the aquatic environment leads to lethargy, disease, and, as a consequence, death. Hypothermia or too high a temperature is also harmful, as well as a sudden change of water to a new one. To maintain a full life of a pet, it is necessary to regulate the temperature of the water in the aquarium constantly.
Allowable temperature threshold for fish
Angelfish came to us from the warm-water rivers of South America, where heat reigns, so a heating system should be installed in the aquarium. The permissible minimum water temperature is 24 degrees Celsius, the maximum is 30 degrees. Overheating is undesirable, heat accelerates metabolic processes in the body, it quickly wears out and grows old. However, some types of scalar need temperatures above 27 degrees (black scalar), and 30 degrees when spawning. Increased to spawning speed up the process of ripening eggs.
The optimum temperature in the aquarium will provide sufficient space. The tighter the tank, the faster it heats up the water. The more fish live in it, the less free space to find a cooler corner. The flow of water should be average, many plants will provide them comfort.
The tank should be in a quiet, lighted place, so that no loud sounds or sudden movements in the room would come to it. Stress leads to a loss of bright color. Place with direct sunlight is not suitable. Lighting LB lamps provide the desired light and temperature.
Sudden fluctuations in water temperature should not occur. Short-term lowering of the fish will survive, but such a risk can lead to hypothermia. When replacing water, it is necessary to ensure that the level to be maintained so that the new water matches the old one.
Conclusions: in the general aquarium, the optimal temperature threshold for scalars is 24-30 degrees Celsius. Water should not get very hot and cool. Make every effort to prevent sudden changes in all parameters of the environment.
See how to quickly calibrate aquarium thermometer.
Temperature in the spawning aquarium for scalar
Angelfish begin to multiply with a gradual increase in water temperature in spawning. Temperature from 27 to 28 degrees - optimal for breeding almost all types of scalar. With her, the eggs will ripen faster, and the fry in such water will develop comfortably. Within a few weeks, the male and female will get used to the new parameters that will encourage spawning. After 2 weeks they will produce eggs on the surface of a stone or a plant. A few more days, the roe will ripen, then the fry will hatch. Unfortunately, at low temperature, the roe slowly ripens, or the larvae of the fry never appear. To avoid this, make measurements to water with a special thermometer. Having raised the temperature a little, some fry of an angelfish will be born.
In the aquarium, periodically water strongly smells like a swamp?
Depending on the size of the aquarium, get a few snails, plants, ancistrus helped us to clean the walls of the aquarium well, and then the oxygen compressor and try changing the water 2 times a week
1) "I change once a week" - one of the possible reasons, since only the PART of water changes, + replenishing the evaporated volume of water.
2) t. to. at the same time stiffness increases, see pH school course. It follows that, depending on the size of the aquarium, a general cleaning of aqu. with a FULL change of water, however, in this case the PART of “OLD” water is left, since in it the bacteria giving / supplying the NORMAL state of the water (it is so transparent that the fish will soar in the air and the smell of clean RIVER)
- the aquarium is overpopulated
- excess feed.
+++ Running the aquarium //www.ekzotika.com/aqua28 ibid more about the water, etc ...
FOR BEGINNERS AQUARIUMISTS //our-aquarium.ru/content/nachin/ ibid
Ten Commandments of the Beginner Aquarist
//aquariumhome.org/…. On this resource you will see a large amount of information telling about the fish and everything connected with them. We have tried to make it so that this information could be useful to you daily and your hobby was not only a favorite, but also an exciting activity.
In preparing this resource, the authors used domestic and foreign articles, photos, advice and opinions. We are very grateful to all the co-authors for the information provided and for their hard, but valuable work.
knowledge is power .
The water in the aquarium smells, changed, anyway. what to do
Formed stagnant zones in aqua, in them as a result of rotting hydrogen sulfide is formed. This is a consequence, and the reasons may be as follows: the filter does not work correctly (it could clog, either shut off, or in an aquarium there is such a zone where the filter flow simply cannot get into); excess of organic matter with which the filter is not corrected (banal overfeeding, large overpopulation); lack of oxygen in the water with overcrowding. Siphonify the bottom, add 10 parts of fresh water, rinse the filter after 3 hours. Not until not after this fish do not feed. At the same time, aeration of water in the aquarium is necessary. On the next day, replace 1/3 of the water in the water, do not feed the fish. On the third day, do not feed the fish, conduct a gentle washing of the filter element in the aquarium water, do not feed the fish.If we carry out all these procedures consistently, then by the end of the week the situation will stabilize;
Try to wash the inside of the aquarium. Look on the Internet how to properly care for the aquarium.
Personally, I read this article here, look can help.
Throw out dead fish from the aquarium ... then populate the new ones, alive and the smell will disappear on the 3rd day ... Joke! ))))))))))) The stronger the illumination of the aquarium, the faster the microorganisms multiply in it and, accordingly, the mold appears faster on the walls of the aquarium, which can cause odor. for a good wall cleaning, filter, and change the water. where is one third, no longer necessary, can adversely affect the fish. Best of all, the water would stand and stand for a couple of days, for 2 days at the bottom of the dishes where the water stood there will be a thin layer of sediment from water - harmful impurities and metals will remain on the dishes, not in the aquarium ... interesting business!
You cannot completely change the water in the aquarium; you can only replace part of the water with a thorough bottom siphon with fresh water that is not less than 2 to 3 days old. Now it is necessary to carefully siphon the soil of the aquarium with a special siphon and take it as a rule to carry out such an operation 1 time in 7–10 days. It is necessary to feed the fish once a day with 1 day of a mandatory hunger strike,. their feed should be completely eaten in 2 to 5 minutes without residue. Eaten food decomposing in the ground gives turbidity and unpleasant odor.