Why does the water in the aquarium smell like a swamp?
With the help of an aquarium your home will be filled with beauty, comfort and warmth of exotic reservoirs. Aquarium is a great place to observe beautiful fish and calm meditation. However, a damaged tank can ruin both your mood and the health of its inhabitants. Sometimes the water goes out and it stinks like a swamp. Muddy water spoils the impression, and makes the nursery unfit for further use. The problem requires an immediate solution, which involves finding out the cause and its immediate elimination.
If the water in the aquarium began to spawn - the reasons
The main reasons why the water from the aquarium smells unpleasant, are indicated below:
- Irregular cleaning of the tank or poor cleaning (filtration);
- Improper aeration, due to which the water is not saturated with sufficient oxygen;
- Unsuitable aquarium plants;
- Nursery overpopulation - little water is allocated to one adult animal;
- Overfeeding fish, reptiles or amphibians;
- Feeding pets low-quality food;
- The sudden death of the inhabitants of the reservoir, the body goes dead and decomposes;
- The appearance of sludge in the soil and water.
Muddy water that smells like a swamp - what to do?
If the aquarium fluid has become rotten, which has strongly started to smell, and even smells like a swamp, it is possible to establish the causes of the imbalance of the aquatic environment through practice and observation. In the course of the research, it will be possible to determine the method by which turbid water, which goes dead and smells unpleasant, will be neutralized. To solve the problem should be phased actions.
- Decide whether you chose the right fish food. To do this, change the water, buy another, better food and test it in a few days. After a day, a turbid liquid that smells like a swamp has disappeared and is clean, odorless, which means the cause of the problem was unsuitable food. In the case where the action did not lead to a result, other reasons should be sought.
- It so happens that you feed the fish and other animals with high-quality feed, but the aquatic environment is still muddy and "gives" the swamp. Probably, you overfeed the inhabitants of the nursery, and they do not have time to eat all the granules. Not all fish eat a lot, so arrange unloading diets for them and add less feed to the water. After a few days, smell the tank - if the unpleasant smell has disappeared. If yes, then you have found the reason. The uneaten food is mixed with the soil, decomposing.
Watch a video on how to feed the fish properly.
- If you are a beginner aquarist and for the first time launched an aquarium, due to lack of experience you could create the wrong neighborhood in the nursery. It turns out that not all types of fish, snails, amphibians and reptiles get along together. Some will disturb others, and because of close space, someone will fall ill and die, quietly sinking to the bottom. Due to severe stress, insufficient shelters and swimming places, the inhabitants of the reservoir excrete feces with a characteristic aroma. After a day or two, muddy water will appear with a stench. What to do - get a spacious tank, pour water into it with suitable parameters, and populate compatible pets there. Or buy two aquariums at once, if many species are incompatible within the same space. Also carefully inspect the bottom - maybe one of the fish died, and the body is still not removed.
- Wrong decorations can "decorate" the aquarium with an unpleasant smell. This is not a perfume, but a living growth, it has its own life. In this case, contact a specialist (a seller in a store or a botanist), and ask whether the purchased plant is able to secrete flavored vapors. Specify the size of the tank capacity, type of soil and water parameters. Replant the plant in the right environment - it may need a larger or smaller aquarium.
- When the fish behave excessively actively, they try to lie to the bottom - the reason for the incorrect supply of oxygen, impaired work of aeration. To fix the equipment, you must:
- install a compressor with high power;
- replace the filter with a new one, with a forced circulation system;
- Ask a specialist how to adjust the oxygen supply to an acceptable level.
See how to replace the water and clean the soil in the aquarium.
In the aquarium, the liquid is rotting and the marsh stinks - how to clean the water?
Did you find out why the aquarium stinks, but you are not exactly sure what to do? Proper cleaning of the fish nursery is your main assistant! When all the above tips have not led to the expected result, you will have to make a new plan to save the reservoir and its inhabitants. It consists in the correct cleaning of the container from harmful impurities and parasites, which are the main causes of an unpleasant smell. Before capital cleaning prepare such tools:
- at least 5-10 liter jars with infused water of appropriate parameters for the temporary settlement of fish;
- net, scraper and sponge;
- big bucket;
- special liquid to remove contamination from aquarium glass (available in stores);
- aquarium pump;
- pH adjuster.
Remove all animals from the nursery with a net by placing them in a jar of water. Disconnect the tank from the supply of current, light, turn off the filter and aerator. Rinse and clean the sponge. Use a scraper and a sponge to clean the windows, removing plaque, algae and other droppings from them. Take the pump, lower one end into the bucket, the second into the tank with dirty water, then pump out from 20 to 50% of all the water, depending on when it was last changed. Put gauze on the pump, and run it along the bottom of the ground, the air will make the bottom siphon. After cleaning, remove all decorations.
The scenery should be pulled out and processed, leaving them in a separate container with a little salted water (1 teaspoon per 20 liters) or scalding them with boiling water. If plaque forms on them, scrape it with an unnecessary toothbrush or gauze. After processing, place the decorations on a clean cloth to dry, then reinstall in the aquarium.
Pour into the aquarium a new, clean water of the same parameters that fish and plants used to (temperature, pH, hardness). Infused water should be three days for chlorine to evaporate from it. Polish the outer glass of the tank (liquid for aquarium glass), and then reconnect all the devices. After the procedure, gradually run the fish. Cleaning can be done in a few hours, the main thing - to adhere to accuracy.
Experienced breeders strongly advise settling in the nursery of the “orderlies” of the reservoir - freshwater snails, speckled catfish, mollies, antsistrusov, gyrinoheyls, labo, Japanese pond shrimps. The fishes living in the lower layers do an excellent job with the uneaten food that fell to the bottom, the snails eat carrion, and the shrimps and other fish mentioned above do an excellent job with algae. When settling, you should consider compatibility with each other, then your aquarium will resemble a natural biotope, with crystal clear water and beautiful living creatures.
Why is there an unpleasant smell coming from the aquarium?
Let's talk about the unpleasant smell from the aquarium
In general, a light rotten smell from the aquarium is acceptable. The aquarium is not sterile, millions of organisms live in it - this is a whole microcosm, so the reservoir a priori cannot smell "alpine freshness."
But sometimes it happens that the aquarium and really begins to emit a stench. The reasons for this are different:
- Excess residue of food, PJ and dead organic matter;
- Incorrect or insufficient filtration and aeration of water;
- Rotting dead fish;
- Prokisanie soil;
Measures to combat unpleasant aquatic odor obvious
- Check the aquarium for the presence of corpses. Count the fish, if someone is missing, carefully inspect the bottom of the aquarium, lift all the scenery, look at the intake of the filter. Found the poor guy remove the net.
- Rarely, but due to improper installation and lack of oxygen zones, the soil sours (rots). This primer is carefully siphoned or completely removed, replacing it with a new one.
- Further, some water is replaced. Aeration and filtration are intensified.
Additionally, to reduce the concentration of harmful substances, you can:
- Pour into the filter aquarium absorbent - aquarium coal;
- Apply hydrogen peroxide to saturate the water with oxygen and increase oxidation. Read more - aquarium aeration;
- Apply Tetra biocoryn - contains highly active enzymes and bacterial concentrates that disinfect water and accelerate the decomposition of organic substances, such as residues of food, plants, and waste products of fish. The special formula, which provides an immediate and durable result, contributes to the safe decomposition of waste and prevents further sedimentation. Unpleasant odors are removed from the water, the water becomes clear and clean.
Causes of water turbidity and how to deal with it
Muddy water in an aquarium is a common phenomenon that almost every aquarist has encountered. Sometimes the causes of the problem are found quickly, and sometimes it takes a long time to figure out why the water has become cloudy. How to deal with the formation of turbidity, what is recommended to do and what is not?
When does water appear in the water?
The causes of muddy water in an aquarium can be varied, and it is not as easy to deal with them as it seems at first glance.
- Turbidity can occur due to swimming in the pond of small particles of algae, solid organics and cyanobacteria. There is another unobtrusive reason - poor washing of the aquarium soil and inaccurate pouring water from a clean tank. This type of turbidity does not threaten the water and the fish, you can do nothing with it. After some time, the muddy part of the water will settle, or seep into the filter, remaining there. The formation of turbidity can provoke fish who love to plow the ground, but these actions for the reservoir are completely harmless.
- Turbid water in an aquarium can be caused by cichlids, goldfish and tail finch fish - their active movement in a reservoir is the cause of the resulting turbidity. If a filter is not installed in the tank, it will be difficult to clean the water.
- Often, muddy water appears after the first start of the aquarium, after the fresh water inlet. Nothing to do, in a day or two the sediment will fall to the ground and disappear. The mistake of novice aquarists is a partial or complete renewal of water, which is considered a gross error. When adding new water to a newly launched aquarium, the bacteria will become even more! If the aquarium is small, you can install a sponge filter that quickly cleans the pond.
Watch the video about the device and the operation of the internal filter.
- Malicious bacteria in an aquarium can also be causes of turbidity. When the water becomes green, then it's time to draw conclusions - this is an unnatural color. Muddy and green water is formed due to overcrowding of the aquarium with fish or plants. That is, the aquarium fluid passes through the filter, but is not cleaned. The abundance of metabolic products provokes the formation of putrefactive microorganisms, ciliates and other unicellular. If ciliates are beneficial, the bacteria can harm the plants - they will start to rot. In order not to be surprised why fish and plants often get sick - watch the aquarium clean and tidy.
- Why still breed single-celled? Because you do not have time to clean the tank after heavy feeding. For aquarism it is better to underfeed than to feed. This rule will protect the fish from problems. After overfeeding again the water got cloudy - what to do? Arrange a pet unloading diet for a couple of days, the bacteria will die out, the water biobalance will be restored.
- Incorrectly installed decoration. Snags, plastic materials of poor quality dissolve in water, forming a muddy shade. If the scenery is new wooden, but untreated - they can be boiled or infused in salt solution. Plastic snags should be replaced by new ones.
- In the old, stagnant nursery with fish sediment is formed due to "whiteness after fish treatment", this is when drugs and purification chemistry for aquarium glass were used in the pond. Such substances have a number of side effects, they disrupt the biological equilibrium, neutralizing the favorable microflora.
How to overcome turbidity in water?
Now we know the reasons why the water grows cloudy in the aquarium, and what to do in each case. However, there are general rules, without which it is impossible to completely eliminate the problem.
- Siphonte the soil in the aquarium. Open the filter, rinse and clean. Then add activated carbon to it - this needs to be done to absorb harmful substances. It is forbidden to make a complete replacement of water and washing the aquarium soil, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will die out and will not be able to process rot and algae.
See how to siphon the soil in the aquarium.
- In some cases, it is necessary to do an intensive aeration of the aquarium - when there are a lot of fish feed residues and a fasting day is not enough. Oxygen will quickly remove excess organics.
- If an unpleasant smell disappears in an aquarium, it means that the struggle with mist is over successfully. Also for elimination of bacterial turbidity it is possible to use elodeya, having landed it superficially in a ground.
Dregs in the water: types
The color of turbidity will tell about the sources of its formation:
- The water color is greenish - single-celled algae reproduce;
- Brown water - peat, humic and tannins, poorly processed snags;
- Milky white color - unicellular bacteria begin to multiply;
- The color of the water coincides with the color of the soil or of a stone recently laid on it, which means that the soil was plowed by fish, or the stone turned out to be fragile.
Drugs that prevent the appearance of turbid sediment
- Aquarium coal is absorbent, which is added after cleaning the tank to the filter for a period of 2 weeks. After extraction, you can fill in a new batch there.
- Tetra Aqua CrystalWater is a tool that binds small particles of dirt into one, after which they can be removed or passed through a filter. After 8-12 hours the reservoir will be crystal clear. Dosage - 100 ml per 200 liters of water.
- Sera Aquaria Clear - also binds sediment particles, passing it through the filter. During the day, dirt can be removed from the cassette. The drug does not contain harmful substances.
- Before adding sorbents to water, it is better to move the fish to another container.
In order to avoid turbid water, it is necessary to control the level of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. They stand out as a result of the vital activity of fish, plants and improper care of the water body. Therefore, fish should be settled in the tank, the size of which corresponds to its volume. Proper feeding of pets, timely cleaning of the products of their vital activity, removal of rotten plants will settle the water balance. If there is no mechanical or biological filter in the aquarium, replace 30% of the water weekly with fresh and sedimented. Do not add water from the pipeline with the smell of chlorine or boiled.
See also: What water to pour into the aquarium with fish?
Why does the aquarium stink
It is difficult to answer this question, as the smell from the water in the aquarium can arise from many reasons. The first is low-quality food or over-feeding. Now, in pursuit of money, feed producers, especially daphnia and gammarus, neglect the production technology. Careless sellers give us cheap food at a high price. Immediately determine the quality of daphnia or gammarus impossible. Only when feeding can you notice how the water begins to turn yellow, grow cloudy and stink. This is the main answer to the question, why does the water in the aquarium stink? The solution is simple, you need to buy food for fish in another store.
A second, possible cause of the smell of water may be overpopulation of the aquarium. This is one of the main problems of novice aquarists. They want to keep different fish in a small aquarium. Or another option for the fish is very little space. There was one case in life when a friend bought a big 3 liter glass and planted a goldfish in it. Of course, the water constantly smelled, since such a volume for a large fish is not enough.
And finally, the third reason for which the smell of water in the aquarium occurs is insufficient aeration. Take the money and buy an air compressor. By the way, it should work constantly! To the water was sufficient and constant amount of oxygen.
In conclusion, I will say that in all cases a 50% water change is required. And do not forget regularly, 1 time in 2 weeks to replace water.
So what do you want that. Restarting killed completely all biological balance. Aquarium is not a bank with fish and water. This is a closed little world and any unwanted interference with its life has a bad effect on all inhabitants.
Now on points
1. The establishment of a little or less biological equilibrium takes 12-14 days, for a full month.
2. The stench comes from overfeeding the fish, they simply do not have time to eat everything, but since the bio-equilibrium does not yet exist, the good bacteria do not have time to process everything the process of decomposition and decay begins.
What to do now: first of all, do not touch anything, do not substitute or add water, do not pour any air conditioners to speed up the process, do not turn off the filter, let it work 24 hours a day and reduce feeding fish to 1 time in 2 days to give at a minimum just enough for a minute two he was completely eaten. As soon as everything is settled and the bio-balance is established, the water will return to normal, and the water will cease to stink.
Ps. No, you do not know. If they knew, they would not have done a full restart, sincein well-balanced systems, water is not replaced by years (if it is not force majeure), it is enough to siphon the soil and replace from 20 to 30% of the total weekly.
Aha, in a couple of days from topikaster there will be a hysterical message like "fish die what to do ????"
Well, actually Elena wrote everything to you, you cannot wash the aquarium completely and completely change all the water, this is a gross mistake. I would not feed the fish for 2-3 days at all, so ammonia and nitrites could be fed from that, and today I would run to the nearest pet shop and buy a conditioner "nitrivek" or a capsule "bactozyme" to speed up the maturation of the aquarium. And in your case it is possible and even necessary to substitute. A couple of days after using the air conditioner, change 1/4 to 1/3 of the volume and then chase regularly 1/4 of the volume of water once a week and pump over the soil. Restarting can be done only in one case, if everything is dead, say from oodinosis or some intractable disease. When the fish begin to feed, quite a bit, so that no residue of food was not.
Why are you doing a restart? For what purpose? With regular proper care it is not necessary!
Why does the water in the aquarium stink a swamp?
And it will stink until the right to start the aquarium, in which the fish sits down after establishing biological balance, and not before. Materiel teach. The displacement for a couple of asters what? You need at least 250 liters for them with a pair of good filtration.
the ground has nothing to do with, do not completely change the water, the filter must be sure that the water does not stagnate, it is necessary to feed properly: throw the bloodworm little by little so that it does not fall to the bottom, and for the catfish it is better to buy special food, vipagran, it is very convenient with balls.
Read about the launch of the aquarium and find your mistake. the main thing - do not be lazy to read. what kind of catfish? a lot of soms. You can have a peaceful Ancistrus catfish growing up to 10cm. or a red-tailed catfish, devouring everything that crawls through its huge mouth and grows up to a meter. a couple of astronotus at least 200 liters, the fish grows up to 35 cm.
it is not necessary to boil the soil, about soil boiling is complete nonsense.
Fully agree with Alexander, Well, astriki are corpses 100% Everything is done and wrong, you must first start the aquarium. for a week it should stand with water and the filter turned on, after one unpretentious fish sits down for a week, it will help you establish the nitrogen cycle, then quietly run the fish two times a day, the Astrika Naparu needs at least 200 liters, it’s a very large territorial fish ? Of course, you don’t have a balance. Feed your favorite fish "from the belly". In short, you want to save. Do the following to replace 30% of the water with a siphon of the soil; volume, fish do not feed at all for three days! She does not poploheet! Do not be afraid, twice a week it is necessary to replace water at 20% per cent of volume every month! Then you can carry out this procedure rvaz per month but definitely!
The smell from the aquarium is caused by the presence of rotting organics. Put a good exterior, you can biofilter, adjust the water change mode, clean the bottom in time, do not overfeed the fish and do not overcrowd the aquarium
My aquarium is overpopulated. (not my fault :)))))) all summer the fry were born, but it’s a pity to give) the soil is boiling periodically. Water is changing. Filters ... everything is fine. But it stinks of swamp. Because of the soil, I think AND MORE. Because of the snails.
Why does the water in the aquarium grow cloudy and stink?
Oh, what a horror they wrote to you (Stop changing the water, it is changed every six months with a non-overloaded aquarium or once every 2 months ~ 25% when overloaded) and aquarium plants called algae could be written by a person who clearly does not understand what an aquarium as a whole is.
Do not try to follow this advice.
It is necessary to deal with the problem.
1. What is the displacement of water?
2. what is the population.
3. when the aquarium is running
4. Which filter and which fraction is the soil?
5. How often do you siphon a primer and change the water?
6. Where is the aquarium, do the direct sun rays fall on it?
7. Look attentively, maybe in aqua something is rotting (snags, corpse of fish or snail).
Obviously you have a lot of organic matter in the water, now to stabilize the water, you will need daily water changes of 30% during the week (with a mandatory siphon of the soil), it is advisable to add sulfur nitrivek, the filter is mandatory at least internal, feed the fish once a day to a minimum (feed should be eaten in a couple of minutes).
Never wash the aquas completely (only in critical situations), water changes should take place once a week for 25-30% of the total volume with a siphon of the soil and washing the filter (sponge). Review the population of your tank, you may have too many fish for your volume.
And read to start carefully
The water in the aquarium is turbid. Why?
If the water is whitish with a smell like a toilet (ammonia).
Usually happens if you:
1. Cleaned the aquarium recently.
2. Changed the water.
3. Launched a new aquarium.
4. Occurs when changing algae or scenery.
5. Too small pebbles (like sand, food sits in the sand).
The reason is that the ammonia cycle is not installed.
Stop changing the water, it is changed every six months with an unloaded tank or every 2 months ~ 25% with a congested one. If you stop interfering in the cycle and feed the fish once a day, in the morning or in the evening, the water will brighten in 2 weeks.
Another case is when the water is greenish with a marsh smell (no ammonia).
It usually happens if you:
1. Heat the water in the aquarium above 23 degrees.
2. The sun heats the water above 23 degrees.
3. Incandescent lighting heats the water above 23 degrees.
4. You just overdo it with the total amount of lively greens, even if below 23 degrees.
The reason is that algae decompose faster than bacteria process them. Remove to start ~ 40% of greenery and stop changing the water, and change anything in the aquarium (Although if you can seriously replace 25% of the water, but no more, otherwise you will wash all the useful ones). After a week or two, the water should lighten up, you can return the algae, but keep the temperature in the aquarium no higher than 25, otherwise everything will start again.
The water in the aquarium stinks like someone died there. What to do?
The unpleasant smell of water in an aquarium is almost always associated with the decomposition of organic substances in the absence of oxygen (stagnant zones are formed). It is necessary, first, to remove excess organics, which are likely to have accumulated in the soil; secondly, to ensure adequate aeration. In addition, it is very desirable to avoid further accumulation of organic matter (excrement, not eaten feed) equip the aquarium with a good filter (yours can be weak and not cope) despite the fact that the water is bright and there is no turbidity. Just now do not feed the fish for 3-4 days, do not worry and nothing will happen to them.
Ps. And how often do you feed them and how much feed do you give?