Aquaria for beginners: important tips
A beautiful aquarium in the house brings joy to our lives during the contemplation of fish and perfectly affects the psychological component. Each novice aquarist unwittingly wonders where to start, to get everything right for the aquarium, run it right the first time and prevent the fish from dying.
Choosing a home aquarium
Before acquiring a tank for fish, it is necessary to carefully consider its design and shape so that it fits into the interior of the room as naturally as possible, does not interfere with its basic purpose and is located in a place convenient for viewing.
By design, aquariums are on a stand, on legs, suspended, angled, frame and frameless. In form, they are represented by more than a wide choice, the main of which are:
- spherical (round);
- cubic (square);
- parallelepipedal (rectangular);
- parallelepipedal with convex viewing glass (panoramic);
- prismoidal (with a regular polygon of the bottom, as a rule, high, for a floor installation);
- pyromidoidal (triangular, for closed-type aquariums).
The main parameters for choosing a tank for keeping fish in a novice aquarist are the following factors:
- correct installation, which should allow various manipulations during operation (removal or installation of the cover and backlight, feeding fish, planting plants, cleaning the filter, bottom siphon, etc.);
- the exclusion of direct sunlight on its surface;
- the number and size of the aquarium population (the required volume of the aquarium depends on this. If there is no certainty for specific fish, then take at least 1 liter of water per 1 cm of adult fish, i.e. if you want to contain 10 fish 8 cm long, you need an aquarium more than 80 liters, it will avoid overcrowding and allow it to develop well and feel comfortable for its inhabitants).
Together with the aquarium offer covers with integrated lighting and cabinets for them. If there is no specific place to install the aquarium, then you can use this offer. A lid for a backlit aquarium will prevent many species of fish from jumping out, reduce evaporation of water into the atmosphere of the room, and also provide artificial lighting for the plant and allow you to control the length of the day in a pond. The cabinet is suitable for storing all sorts of accessories (a net, tubes, suckers, feeders, literature, etc.), feed and other things related to the aquarium.
There is a standard set of equipment for aquariums:
- Illumination (the choice of lamp power and the duration of illumination during the day depends on the inhabitants and plants);
- water heater (it is better to choose with automatic temperature control);
- Aerator and water filter can be both combined and separate (power depends on the volume of the aquarium).
The selection of soil and scenery depends on the inhabitants, but small fractional rounded gravel without sharp edges is considered universal. The thickness of the soil at the bottom should be from 5 to 7 cm, this will allow plants to root well and grow. You can use locks, sunken ships, etc. to decorate and create a unique interior.
The choice of inhabitants and vegetation
Practically all viviparous fishes are suitable for beginner aquarists: mollies, swordtails, petilles and gupias. They are beautiful, elegant, not difficult to maintain and hardy. The content and reproduction of these species will allow you to learn the basics of aquarism while investing minimal financial and time costs.
You can run a few small catfish to the viviparous fish. They differ in coloring, body shape and behavior. Somiki will add refinement to the aquarium and will eat the remnants of food and clean the plants. Antsitrus catfish suckers are perfect.
From low-priced low-priced plants, you can use elodea, valisneria, cryptocarin, and from superficial plants, ichie or duckweed. You can also add lumps of moss to a kladofor or javanese moss.
Before releasing beautiful fish in the aquarium, it takes about two weeks. One day can be done:
- laying soil, planting plants, installation of lighting decorations, heating, filter aerator;
- filling the aquarium with tap water;
- turning on the heater and filter aerator.
After that, you need to wait a week for chlorine to evaporate from the water during this time. It is allowed to add various normalizers to the water, which improve the water parameters. Before using them, you should consult with competent aquarists or sellers who know the parameters of tap water in your area.
After a week, you can run the first, most enduring inhabitants - snails ampoules, tritons, frogs or shrimp. Often the first are ampulyarii. They have a positive effect on the formation of an ecosystem in an aquarium. Water in a room pond is gaining stability in the order of a month and may become cloudy. Over time, it will clear and be transparent. And only depending on the state of water and well-being of ampoules, after about a week you can run inexpensive fish. More information about the first launch of the aquarium can be found here.
From practical experience
There are some general tips on keeping and breeding fish, but it all depends on the specific inhabitants of your aquarium.
- It is better to buy a rectangular aquarium without panoramic glass, while its length should be greater than the height and width less than the height.
- The volume of the aquarium of about 100 liters will allow you to contain a closed ecosystem (the state of water in the temperature, chemical and biological ranges will be less subject to drastic changes, which will affect the health of the fish), and will also require lower maintenance costs.
- Maintaining a constant temperature will save the fish from many diseases.
- Overfeeding fish can not be, and better to feed once a day. Food should be varied - live, frozen, dry (if you feed constantly alive, the fish begin to get fat and it becomes difficult for them to multiply).
- Change the water in the aquarium weekly with the replacement of up to 30% of the total. Cleaning and siphon bottom in the first month after launch do not need. Depending on the number of fish, pollution of the bottom or chemical indicators of water, these activities should be carried out approximately once every two to four weeks.
- The water filter and aerator in the aquarium should work around the clock.
- Lighting needs to be controlled, otherwise excessive growth of algae or plants will begin. The duration of coverage per day is in the range from 8 to 12 hours.
How to choose an aquarium will tell experts of the program "Cheap and Angry" (Channel One):
Which aquarium is better to choose and buy
WHAT AQUARIUM IS BETTER?
Indescribably pleased with the fact that you decided to get an aquarium. This is the right choice! An aquarium at home or in the office is not only a design subject. Aquarium and aquarium world is a hobby, passion, relaxation, positive mood, new knowledge and a new world.
What can I say !!! Aquarium is awesome!
But here, when there was a desire to purchase an aquarium,
there is another question
WHAT AQUARIUM IS BETTER ???
In this article I will not read you notations, as some do - they say, read the books first, study the essence of the issue, and then make a decision on which aquarium to choose.
Here, I will try to concisely give advice on choosing an aquarium, posting photos of aquariums, tell which aquariums are in general, well, ask people in the comments to tell what their aquarium is.
Recalling the purchase of my first aquarium, I want to say that I did not think at all, which aquarium should I choose. I just "broke the piggy bank and bought some money for it, I bought it." And enough for a panoramic aquarium firm TM "Nature", a volume of 35 liters and with a glass lid, without lighting.
What I mean is that the choice of an aquarium often comes down not to what is better, but to the question of individual capabilities. Therefore, in the first place, you need to decide on a budget, and it must be borne in mind that with the purchase of an aquarium alone, the spending will not end. Initially, at least to the aquarium will need to buy: a filter and aeration, thermostat, soil, and of most fish. Also it would not be bad to buy immediately: decor, plants (live or artificial), aquarium equipment (a net, siphon, glass cleaning magnets, etc.), after all, it would not be very bad to buy drugs to stabilize the aquarium water and biosystem settings, but they are also not cheap.
The second thing you need to take into account is the place where the aquarium will stand! Much depends on the location of the aquarium: its volume, shape, purpose, and other strokes. For example, if you decide to put an aquarium in a corner of a room, then in my opinion it is better to buy a corner aquarium (with three sides). Such an aquarium will fit well into the interior, will not take up much space, moreover it will give a good panoramic view of the aquarium.
Well, perhaps the third very important point that needs to be taken into account when choosing the best aquarium is the need to think in advance: what and who will be in the aquarium. This is due to the fact that the maintenance conditions of the aquarium inhabitants are different. For example, some fish need a large volume aquarium, others need a small volume, but preferably a long one, some need an aquarium cover, others do not, and so on.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE SELECTION OF THE BEST AQUARIUM
Analyzing the statistics on the Internet, as well as from personal experience, we can recommend one of the most popular aquariums:
Volume: 200 to 250 liters.
The form: Rectangular, panorama or convex front glass. TM "NATURE".
Aquarium price: depends on the configuration, without a cap and tube - $ 90-100. C from 200 $.
Who is in the aquarium: the volume of such an aquarium allows you to have virtually any fish, except for particularly large ones.
Other useful information: The parameters of such an aquarium meet the needs of many people, and the price pleases. For example, a similar aquarium company "Aquael" with a lid, but without a stand is worth - $ 340, as they say, feel the difference.
Of course, if funds allow, then you certainly need to take "Aquael", they are much better than Kharkov "Nature". But, I want to note that I have one of the TM "Nature" aquariums already 10 years old and only pleases, there is no global difference between Aquael, except prestige))).
What else should be considered when choosing the best aquarium.
- All aquarists, in one voice, I recommend initially to take a large-volume aquarium (from 100 liters). It is right, because such an aquarium is easier to care for, it is easier and faster to adjust the biobalance, adaptation and living aquarium inhabitants is better. In general, there is less trouble!
However, do not think that small aquariums are worse, no! Just such aquariums need a little more attention. And taking into account the fact that many people do not allow living space to take "oceanariums," there is a reason to start with a small aquarium. In addition, in a small aquarium, you can “practice” and see if you are interested in aquariums in principle or not, “get a hand”, and therefore decide whether to take a large aquarium or not.
- On sale there are aquariums of the round form, various volume. As a rule, Goldfish are planted in such aquariums. So, I hasten to warn you and say that such aquariums are not very convenient to maintain, moreover, their image is distorted by a spherical shape, and the fish in such aquariums are bad. Often, having suffered from such an aquarium, people make a decorative pot of flowers out of it. At this aquarium ends and begins floristry :).
- On sale you can also find high, but not wide aquariums, made as aquarium paintings. Such aquariums are relatively inexpensive, but they are not the best for the title of the best. Firstly, because they are hard to care for, and secondly, aquarium fish will be bad in them, because for them the main length and width of the aquarium, and not height. Height also plays a role, but in combination with length and width.
- The most common form of aquarium is a rectangular, but you can also recommend a panoramic aquarium or aquarium with a convex front glass. Panoramic aquarium consists of 6 faces (walls) - which gives more viewing angles. A tank with a convex front wall gives volume and looks more interesting than an aquarium with straight glass.
- When buying an aquarium, pay attention to its cover. Covers can be plastic, wooden or glass. The main question is the lighting installed in the cover, which, as a rule, is usually not enough for aquarium plants. If your aquarium will have a lot of aquarium plants, the issue of lighting is best resolved immediately. Pay attention to the fluorescent lamps on them: the number, power and characteristics.
The lack of lighting can be solved in two ways: self-adding lighting (add. Lamp or diode tape) or the initial purchase of a glass cover, and to it the "right amount" of lighting.
- When buying an aquarium, you should pay attention and carefully check it for the presence of chips and microcracks. Consider that even the smallest crack under the pressure of water will sooner or later turn into a huge hole. This rule should be especially followed if the aquarium is purchased through an online store. Movers do not really stand on ceremony with the goods delivered. Carefully check everything when delivering the aquarium to your home.
Talk about choosing the best aquarium can be a lot, but as they say it is better to see once than to hear once. Therefore, we proceed below to a visual study of the issue.
Forms of aquariumsa photo
Corner Aquarium Panoramic Corner
Rectangular With convex glass
Now let's visualize
most popular forms of aquariumsRECTANGULAR AQUARIUMS PHOTO
PANORAMIC AQUARIUMS PHOTOS
FROM THE FORWARDED FRONT WALL PHOTO
ANGULAR AQUARIUM PHOTO
ROUND AQUARIUM PHOTO
EXCLUSIVE AQUARIUS OF UNUSUAL FORM PHOTO
Types of aquariums by purposeAll aquariums can be divided according to their purpose. I think this information will be useful for you: it will help to determine the aquarium terminology, and also help you choose the best aquarium based on your needs.
General aquarium - it is intended for keeping fish of various types. As a rule, in such an aquarium fish are selected according to the principle of compatibility. Most aquariums are just common aquariums.
Species Aquarium - an aquarium in which fish of only one species are contained. A characteristic example is an aquarium with discus. DISCUSSIONS They are called kings of the aquarium and as a rule they are kept separately because they are expensive, large and fastidious to the conditions of detention.Photos of species aquarium with scalars
Spawning aquarium - it is intended for cultivation of fishes, spawning, incubation of caviar and cultivation of fry. As a rule, such aquariums do not have a large volume and in such aquariums they create special conditions (temperature, lighting) and certain water parameters (dH, pH), which contribute to the spawning of certain fish. Spawning aquarium can also be divided into incubator - it is intended for cultivation of caviar, fish larvae, nursery aquarium - it is intended for cultivation of the grown up juvenile fry.
In terms of shape and function, a spawning aquarium is no different from other aquariums, it is needed exclusively as a separate body of water.
Thus, if you want to breed fish, in addition to the general or specific aquarium, you must also buy a spawning.
Quarantine aquarium or medical - as well as spawning is a separate reservoir, but intended to check the newly purchased fish and treat sick fish.
In such an aquarium, a quarantine for new fish is arranged in order not to infect the common main aquarium. The need for quarantine is due to the fact that even if you bought a seemingly healthy fish, signs of illness may appear in a week. During this period, the fish in the quarantine of the aquarium are checked "for lice", and, moreover, adaptation measures are taken - they gradually add water from the main aquarium to the quarantine. Adaptation is needed because Some fish do not tolerate abrupt changes in the parameters of the aquarium water, from which die a week later.
Quarantine aquarium is especially needed if you purchase fish in the Bird market, as a rule, in such markets there are many contagious and sick fish. In pet stores, this risk is less, but still it is.
In addition, quarantine aquarium can be used as an aquarium for the treatment of diseased fish. The treatment can be carried out in the general aquarium, but firstly, you will unnecessarily poison the healthy - non-diseased fish with chemistry, secondly, aquarium plants may react badly to chemistry and medications, and in general the biobalance and microflora of aquarium water will be disturbed, besides remain the risk of indiscriminate disease of all fish.
Поэтому заболевших рыбок всегда рекомендуется отсаживать в карантинный аквариум и там проводить индивидуальное лечение до полного выздоровления.
Аквариумы также можно разделить на:
Биотопный - в нем имитируют отдельно взятый подводный ландшафт (озеро, ручей).Фото биотопного аквариума
Голландский - аквариум, предназначенный для аквариумных растений, еще его называют "травник".Photos of the Dutch aquarium
Geographical - in such an aquarium contain fish from one region.
Freshwater, saltwater, marine aquarium - Most aquariums are freshwater bodies of water, but there are aquariums that contain saline or marine fish.Photos of marine aquarium
For general development, it can also be said that the structure can be divided into: frame, frameless, asbestos cement, Plexiglas.And of course, there is still
shrimps, aquariums for turtles, newts, frogs and others.
I recommend also to get acquainted with the following articles:
Aquarium for beginners
Restart AquariumLAUNCH OF AQUARIUM
I WANT TO LEAD AQUARIUM, WHERE TO BEGIN!
In this article you will learn the order and the main nuances of installing an aquarium. This is a step by step instruction!
All about Purchasing Transplant Fish Shipping!
An article about the rules of choice, transportation and proper transfer of fish. It will help you to do everything right when buying the first fish.
AQUARIUM FOR CHILDREN, CHILD AND BABY!
Here highlights the main points related to the acquisition of an aquarium for children. The article describes the pros and cons of an aquarium designed for a child.
ALL about AQUARIUM FISHES
The basic article about aquarium fish, it lists the types of aquarium fish (with photos), tells how to care, what to feed, what they get sick, etc.
How many fish can aquarium 100 liters.
Here you will learn how many fish you can plant - keep in an aquarium. At the bottom of the article are links to aquariums of all volumes from 10 to 150 liters.
How much are the fish or the price of aquarium fish!
The pricing policy for aquarium fish is covered.
BOTTOM AND GROUND OF THE AQUARIUM.
Good article. It will help you to decide on the choice and design of the aquarium bottom.
Aquarium from a can, keeping aquarium fish in a can.
Covered the question of the budget version of the content of fish.
AQUARIUM FAILURES: Do we really need these fish?
Article warning, it highlights the disadvantages of the aquarium case.
WHAT IS NECESSARY TO THE AQUARIUM: what to consider when choosing an aquarium and which fish to buy?
I WANT TO GO TO FISH: how to equip the first beautiful aquarium.
FIRST AQUARIUM DAYS: Start the creation of the aquarium world of fish!
Video that will help determine the choice of the best aquarium
Category: Aquarium Articles / EQUIPMENT AND FACILITY AQUARIUM | Views: 28 010 | Date: 29-08-2013, 15:02 | Comments (3) We also recommend reading:
- - What is the best soil for an aquarium?
- - The benefits and harms of carbon dioxide in an aquarium
- - Be kinder !!!
- - Reproduction and breeding of Goldfish
- - How, what and how much to feed Goldfish?
Basic rules for the selection and arrangement of aquarium for beginners
Starting an aquarium for beginners is always difficult. More precisely, this case seems simple enough. However, mistakes are often made, which then lead to the fact that plants and fish die. To prevent this, you need to take a responsible approach to launching the aquarium. It is not enough to be guided only by “I want”, you also need to be confident in your “I can”. In this article we will look at the main stages of creating a proper, beautiful and harmonious underwater world of the house, and also point out useful tips.
Aquarium size: selection rules
Where to begin? Of course, it is important to determine the aquarium. And here you can not just say: "I want this one." The choice must be conscious. Often the rule about the connection of the aquarium and fish for beginners becomes fundamental. And this rule consists in the following: one centimeter of fish length should account for one liter of water. At first glance it seems that the rule is quite simple. But an experienced aquarist knows that this rule is not bad for calculating the optimal size of the aquarium, but without reservation it cannot be applied. What are these reservations?
First, the length of an aquarium fish is an indicator by which it is impossible to assess and determine the effect of a fish on a closed aquarium system. For example, some have a round body and, consequently, a greater mass, while having the same length as others, smaller in mass. So it turns out that a home aquarium can comply with the stated principle, but in fact be overpopulated.
Secondly, the rule does not take into account such a characteristic as the surface area of the water in the aquarium. But it is the square that is the real deterrent. Aquarium residents need oxygen, they emit carbon dioxide while breathing. The amount of oxygen dissolved in water largely determines how many fish can live in it, fully developing. Oxygen comes from the air, carbon dioxide, on the contrary, goes into the air. From this we can conclude: the larger the surface area of the aquarium, the more intense the replacement of carbon dioxide with oxygen.
Thus, to choose the size of the aquarium, you need to pay attention not only to the length of the body of the fish, but also their weight, the surface area of the aquarium. The following rule is taken into account: one centimeter of the body of a fish, not taking into account the tail, must have at least 12 square centimeters of area.
Back to content
Once we have indicated that the most important thing to start with is an aquarium, then we will determine its shape in order to make the choice easier. What are the forms? So:
- usual sizes - used for various small fishes;
- elongated in height - designed to observe the inhabitants of the aquarium. They have a large height, which provides a fairly large area of the front glass. At the same time, such aquariums have a small width.
- elongated - perfect for small schooling fish.
In turn, elongated aquariums or elongated in length can be, for example, hexagonal or even octagonal. If you are going to choose an aquarium of a specific shape, you need to remember that a hexagonal aquarium has a smaller surface area than a regular one. In general, you should not stop the choice on too wide or narrow aquariums. This ratio does not fit any fish for a comfortable stay.
The choice between beauty and convenience for fish, of course, is yours.
Back to content
List of acquisitions
Without what exactly do not get the underwater world? The contents of the list of necessary devices with the aquarium include:
- filtration system;
- water quality test;
- fixtures for cleaning soil and glass;
Before purchasing all of these devices, you can see their cost online to estimate costs. If they are quite feasible, then it's time to move on to the second stage of the implementation of the plan - the purchase of all these pieces.
Provide care. They are of two types - external and internal. What is needed? Beginners aquarists better choose an internal filter. It will provide for the air requirements of the inhabitants of the water kingdom and cheaper external at times. Recommend to choose filters with a small margin, 50 liters.
Care also includes the installation of a proper heater. It performs a very important function - it maintains a temperature that is optimal for the life of fish and plants. Like filters, heaters on the package should indicate the volume of the aquarium that the heater can provide.
Plants and fish need a very special beam spectrum. Special lamps provide better plant growth and fish development. Beginners are recommended to choose lamps Sylvania Gro-lux and Sylvania Aquastar. The lighting in the aquarium should meet the criterion of intensity: not less than 0.6W per 1 liter of water. Thus, a 100-liter aquarium needs 60W. This is at least. If the intensity increases to 0.9-1W, it will be not good, but excellent.
CO2 saturation system
Another component that is needed to provide proper care. There is no error here; not only oxygen is important, but also a certain amount of carbon dioxide. It is needed for plant growth in the daytime. Particularly, the role of carbon dioxide saturation systems increases in those aquariums where few fish live. However, novice aquarists do not need to install this system, and if installed, after the biological balance is formed in the aquarium, the plants will start to grow gradually.
It should consist of small pebbles, whose diameter ranges from 0.5 to 0.8 centimeters. But this is a very general rule: this kind of soil will suit most, but not all plants will accept it. Before you put the purchased soil in the home aquarium, you need to boil it. Such care for the soil will exclude the possibility of harmful microorganisms and bacteria entering the aquarium.
Soil needs to be mixed with starting fertilizer in the ratio 2/3. The procedure is as follows: the ground is laid on the bottom of the aquarium, then the fertilizer is placed. The soil layer can and should even be made uneven: the front glass is smaller - 4 cm, the rear glass - 8 cm.
Back to content
Now about the fish
So, you figure it out with the aquarium. What is missing? Of course, the fish. Objectively speaking, it seems to many beginners that everything is as simple as possible with regard to the fish: I chose the ones I liked, and that's all. However, in reality everything is different. The fact is that fish have an impact on many factors: on the amount of money spent, on decorating, on the arrangement of the habitat, and so on. In addition, the choice of fish today is so great that it is simply difficult to determine the cutest ones.
Tips for beginners about the fish are as follows: strive to acquire representatives of the same group living in the same habitat. This will greatly facilitate care, and at first, this approach will only benefit.
Who can I choose? Beautiful and quite unpretentious are cichlids - perch-shaped fish. They can also share the somobraznyh that will facilitate your maintenance of the aquarium. The fact is that representatives of catfish clean glasses and stones, pick at the ground, eat up the remnants. And while they are absolutely harmless, and care for him is quite simple.
In short, do not rush to stop the choice on the rarest species of fish. It is better to start with simple varieties.
Back to content
When all the preparatory activities behind, it's time to start acting. The aquarium is put into operation gradually:
- The first day is a launch. Under it understand the installation of the filter and heater after filling the aquarium with water. On the heater immediately set the required temperature. As a rule, it is 25 degrees. Then the filter and heater are turned on;
- second day - plants. Novice aquarists are advised to start using inexpensive hardy plants, for example, vallisneria or rovolnik. They will easily adapt to the new environment and help establish a biological balance in the aquarium. Later they can be replaced by other plants. Biological equilibrium will help restore a special bacterial starter, for example, Sera Bio Nitrivec;
- a week passed - the first inhabitants. After a week, it is already possible to launch the first inhabitants of the aquarium - the first Amano shrimp or Ampularia snails;
- Two weeks passed - fish. Here comes the long-awaited moment, what you have been waiting for: you can run fish into the aquarium.
If you do everything right, if you take into account all the tips and can avoid the most common mistakes, then soon you will be enjoying your aquarium. And it is quite possible that the matter is not limited to only one underwater world.
Back to content