Reproduction and breeding of goldfish
Reproduction and breeding of goldfish
Goldfish is one of the most ancient aquarium fish. Their story begins with the first century of our Era and Ancient China. Even then, the emperors of the East and Buddhist monks began to maintain, breed and select goldfish.
Actually, therefore, at present there are a great many aquarium goldfish, and their cost can vary from 2 dollars to several thousand US.
So, if you want to feel like a true goldfish breeder, emperor or Buddhist monk, then this article is for you!
Breeding or breeding goldfish, is not a difficult task.
However, goldfish are not guppies and in order to get offspring you still have to work hard and be patient. In addition, you need to have a sufficient number of aquariums or ponds.
You can't get off with one aquarium!
Goldfish breed independently, without any hormonal injections or without creating too specific conditions. Actual, good maintenance and proper feeding is the criterion and incentive for spawning producers. All types of goldfish can spawn in aquariums of a small volume of 30 liters. However, better results can be achieved in larger aquariums or in ponds.
Spawning of goldfish can occur at a temperature of 16 degrees Celsius, but it is better to maintain the temperature of the aquarium water at a level of 22-24 degrees Celsius. After replanting manufacturers increase the temperature by 2 degrees. The water level in the spawning pond should be 20-25 centimeters, the water should often be replaced by fresh and purged.
Unlike many other spawning aquariums, spawning for goldfish should be well consecrated all light day. If it is a pond, then the sunlight should be diffused, and the pond should be equipped with shelters in the form of floating plants.
Producers are planted in a spawning aquarium in the ratio of 1 female to 2-3 males and richly fed with live food (bloodworms, earthworms, daphnia, ground meat with bread, etc.). At the same time they try to select manufacturers based on their size. Especially females - the bigger they are, the more eggs they sweep out. And vice versa - small females toss less eggs. They equip an aquarium with vegetation (such as a combo, riccia, duckweed, a peristist, etc.), and do not carpe the bottom of the aquarium - on a clean bottom the eggs retain and do not die, but some aquarists set up a separate grid. Sexual maturity in fish comes to a year of life. In this case, the males appear on the gills white bumps and the so-called "saw" on the front paired fins, and the females are growing stout with caviar, their body is bent. For more information, see: HOW TO DETERMINE THE FLOOR OF A GOLDEN FISH: A male and a female!
A female matured for breeding emits a special substance that has a characteristic odor and is particularly concentrated in the genital organs. Actually, this smell attracts males and is a signal of a female's readiness for reproduction. Under the influence of this secretion males begin to swim for females.
Under pond conditions, it is recommended to perform the above spawning manipulations in March – April, with the expectation that spawning will begin in May – June. It is believed that this is the most prosperous time for the successful ripening of caviar. In addition, at this time it is easier to provide the eggs and fry with the necessary comfort.
If the courtship of the males began earlier than March - April and the spawning should be delayed, the producers are seated and also the water temperature is lowered to the desired period (period).
The peak of reproduction of goldfish is accompanied by violent courtship of the males - they chase the female around the reservoir, and on the day of spawning, these courtships look like a frank pursuit.
Taking into account such features, the spawning aquarium is equipped with soft aquarium plants and not sharp decor (it is better without it at all). Otherwise, the fishes will sweep, and their fins will be torn after spawning.
The spawning begins with the first rays of the sun and lasts 6 hours. Spawning gold can every month until October. During one spawning, the female can sweep up to 3000 eggs. In the "home" spawning of goldfish can sometimes occur continuously - year-round. However, this leads to the exhaustion of manufacturers, and in this case they should be given rest, seated in different aquariums.
Photo Caviar Goldfish
Caviar ejection occurs gradually. - the female driven by the males touches the vegetation or the walls of the aquarium and releases 10-30 eggs, which the males immediately fertilize - watering the eggs with milt.
Then, sticky caviar falls to the bottom or sticks to the plants.
Eggs on the first day are slightly orange and slightly flattened, the diameter of eggs is up to 1.5 millimeters. On the third day, the eggs are straightened and discolored, in connection with which they are difficult to detect.
Immediately after spawning, the producers are removed from the spawning tank, otherwise the offspring will be eaten.
The water level in spawning caviar is reduced to 10-15 centimeters and protected from overheating and excessive sunlight (if it is a pond). Aquarium intensively aerated.
The appearance of fry from caviar depends on the water temperature. At a water temperature of 22-24 degrees Celsius - the incubation period is 4-5 days, but at a temperature of 14 degrees Celsius it can reach 7-8 days.
On the second day after the appearance of the young in the aquarium, it is recommended to launch snails (for example, coils) so that they eat the dead and not fertilized eggs. You can carefully assemble yourself, but it is more difficult than it seems. It is very important not to kill the young. At the same time, leaving the dead calf is fraught with - live larvae do not tolerate "dirt" and can get sick.
Young goldfish in the first days is weak and harmless, in fact it looks like a reed with eyes and a yolk vesicle in the middle (the yolk bubble is necessary for obtaining nutrients in the first days of life). Fry move in spurts and can stick to the stop.
After about 2-3 days, they begin to blithely float around the reservoir, and from this point on, the young need to be fed with starter feed: live dust, the finest alga, and other finely ground to feed dust. After 2 weeks, you can give larger feed. At the age of one month, juveniles are capable of taking small bloodworms. As a starter feed, they also use egg yolk finely ground in water, as well as the soaked oatmeal grated in the dust. The fry are fed abundantly, but in portions - little by little but often.
photo larva Golden Fish
We can recommend the following feed for young goldfish.
JBL GoldPearls mini is premium class granules, packaged in 100 ml.
It has a special recipe ideal for young fish. The diameter of the granulated feed 1-2 mm. Contains spirulina and carotenoids, which contribute to the development of good fish color, contain proteins (10%) from wheat germ, fatty acids.
After two weeks the fry are planted in a 30 liter aquarium at the rate of 250 fry per aquarium. Aquariums flush or replace water frequently. Without purging, it is recommended that 120 fry be planted per aquarium. So they contain up to 2 months of age, gradually sorting by size and reducing their number. Fry are caught not with a net, but with a saucer or other utensils. So they are easier to get and count.
Photo spawning hotbed for goldfish
Sorting carried out on the principle of rejection. Harvested juveniles with defects, juveniles lagging behind in growth, etc. In the end, get pedigree goldfish.
Defective and non-standard young, unfortunately kill. First, because it, as a rule, does not survive itself, and secondly, even if it survives, nothing good comes out of it. With its further content, you risk getting outbred offspring "bastards", but if you go further, then the fish just degenerate into goldfish.
At first, the scaled juveniles of goldfish have a silver-gray color, like the progenitor of the goldfish. Coloring appears only at the age of 3-5 months. To improve the brightness of the fish color, it is recommended that "sunbathing" light should be diffused. In an artificial reservoir, no shading is necessary, on the contrary, the aquarium is intensively illuminated with lamps. It is worth noting that the color of goldfish can vary in fact a lifetime.
Scaleless fry do not pass the aforementioned period of silver color and already at two weeks of age begin to turn into their final color.
Juveniles of goldfish are very capricious and prone to disease. To avoid mortality of offspring, you should regularly monitor the cleanliness of the aquarium, aeration and filtration. Constantly monitor the population - do not forget to settle as they grow.
When breeding goldfish need to strictly observe the species crossing. All goldfish can interbreed with each other (for example, veil tails with comets).photo whitebait goldfish
1 month However, this will lead to degeneration and out-of-curry scrofula.
Summing up, you can make a short list of what you need for breeding goldfish:
- one-year-old males: 1 female, 2-3 males.
- aquariums: the main from 150 liters, spawning from 30 liters, aquarium for youngsters; (aquariums should be illuminated).
- aquarium soft-leaved plants;
- of course: aeration, filtration, thermostat;
- feed for fry;
- improvised aquarium equipment;
- suction water;
If you still have questions, you can ask them to our expert on fish breeding Vitaly Chernyavsky, HERE!
How to breed goldfish :: goldfish breeding :: Aquarium fish
How to breed goldfish
The maintenance of goldfish requires special attention from their owner. These aquatic inhabitants are distinguished by a rather whimsical character, so all additional elements for an aquarium should be selected very carefully. Reproduction of goldfish is a special process. The result of this period depends on your patience and knowledge.
The question "opened a pet shop. Business is not going. What to do?" - 2 answers
1. There are many varieties of goldfish. In order to obtain good and “qualitative” offspring, during the spawning period, fish pairs of only one species should be deposited in a separate tank. Fry from different parents can inherit completely unpredictable traits, with the result that it will be difficult for small fish to be attributed to a particular breed.
2. Golden fishes become capable of breeding closer to the year of life. To determine the sexual maturity of the fish can be on some external changes. In females, distinctly visible growths appear on the front fins, and the tummies are rounded. Males change their behavior and try to spend as much time as possible in the society of females. In addition, on the gills they appear bright tubercles.
3. During the transfer of goldfish for breeding in a separate aquarium should pay attention to the potential conditions of their habitat. It is desirable that the situation and the temperature of the water in it practically did not differ from the usual dwelling for the couple. Otherwise, the long-awaited spawning may linger for a long time.
4. The process of courtship in goldfish takes place in an active form. The male by all means tries to drive the female into the most secluded place. As soon as this happens, he presses the female with his body and waits for the beginning of the laying of the eggs. Fertilization occurs immediately after the release of eggs from the body of the female.
5. Within several hours the female can lay eggs several times. The male at such moments is always near his companion. During the spawning rut of the inhabitants of the aquarium is better not to disturb.
6. Please note that immediately after the process of laying the eggs of goldfish is completed, it is necessary to return them as soon as possible to the old aquarium. Otherwise, they can eat their own eggs for food.
7. Delayed eggs at first is almost impossible to notice at the bottom of the aquarium because of the transparent shell. Color begins to change after 1-2 days. Your task is to constantly inspect the aquarium. As soon as you notice the location of the eggs, immediately remove them from the water with a special net.
8. Caviar should be placed in a solution of blue methylene. This tool can be found in any pet store or pharmacy. This substance will preserve the process of life inside the eggs. Otherwise, the caviar can become infected with a fungus, and all offspring will die. Treat future fry enough for several hours.
9. Fry appear from the eggs after about 5 days. Goldfish grow quite quickly, but you have to control the temperature of the water almost constantly. The optimal environment for fry - 23-25 degrees.
10. Feed the fry need special food, differing in their consistency. Food for young fish usually resembles dust. After 1-2 months, the fry will be able to eat the food, which is usually offered to adult goldfish.
The behavior of the male during spawning may resemble an aggressive attack. However, in this way he only tries to provoke and speed up the process of laying eggs by the female.
Feed the fry need every three hours. If you see that small fish are often near the surface of the water, then do not rush to worry. Thus, they just try to get enough oxygen.