What to do if you find a dead fish?
Suddenly discovered that you have died in a fish tank and do not know what to do now? We have compiled five tips for you to cope with the death of the fish and what to do if this happened. But, remember that even in the most ideal conditions, they still die. Often, suddenly, for no apparent reason and very annoying for the owner. Especially if it is a large and beautiful fish, such as cichlids.
Often aquarium fish die due to the fact that the water parameters have changed. The most pernicious effect on them is the low level of oxygen content in the water. Characteristic behavior is that most fish stand in the surface of the water and swallow air from it. If the situation is not corrected, then after a while they begin to die. At the same time, such situations can occur even among experienced aquarists! The oxygen content in water depends on the temperature of the water (the higher it is, the less oxygen is dissolved), the chemical composition of the water, the bacterial film on the surface of the water, the outbreak of algae or ciliates. You can help partial water changes by turning on aeration or directing the flow from the filter close to the surface of the water. The fact is that during gas exchange, it is the fluctuations of the water surface that play the decisive role.
1. Look at
Check and recalculate your fish daily, while feeding. Are they all alive? Are everyone healthy? Does everyone have a good appetite? Six neons and three speckled, everything is in place?
If someone is missed, check the corners of the aquarium and lift the lid, maybe it is somewhere upstairs in the plants? But you can not find a fish, it is quite possible that she died. In this case, stop searching. As a rule, a dead fish becomes visible anyway, it either floats to the surface, or lies on the bottom, the floor is snagged, stoned, or even falls into the filter. Every day, inspect the aquarium, did the dead fish appear? If found, then ...
2. Remove the dead fish
Any dead fish, as well as large snails (such as ampoules or mariz) should be removed from the aquarium. They rot very quickly in warm water and create soil for the development of bacteria, the water is muddier and begins to stink. This all poisons other fish and leads to their death.
3. Look at the dead fish
If the fish is not too decomposed, do not hesitate to examine it. This is unpleasant, but necessary. Are her fins and scales full? Maybe her neighbors beat her to death? Are the eyes in place and are they dull? Strongly swollen belly like in the picture? Maybe she has an internal infection or she has poisoned herself with something.
4. Check water
Every time you find a dead fish in your tank, you need to check the quality of the water with the help of tests. Very often the cause of fish death is the increase in the content of harmful substances in the water - ammonia and nitrates. To test them, get in advance tests for water, better drip.
The test results will show two results, either everything is fine in your tank and you should look for the cause in another one, or the water is already rather polluted and you need to replace it. But, remember that it is better to change no more than 20-25% of the volume of the aquarium, so as not to change the maintenance conditions of the fish too dramatically.
If the water is all right, then you need to try to determine the cause of death of the fish. Of the most common: disease, hunger, overfeeding (especially dry food and bloodworms), long stress due to improper housing conditions, age, the attack of other fish. And a very frequent reason - and who knows why ... Believe me, any aquarist, even the one who has been keeping a complex fish for many years, has sudden deaths to watch his favorite fish.
If the incident is a single case, then do not worry - just watch out for new fish or die. If this happens all the time, then obviously something is wrong. Be sure to contact an experienced aquarist, it's easy to find now, since there are forums and the Internet.
What to do if fish die in an aquarium
Aquarium fish can die for various reasons. The most common are drastic changes in water parameters, disease, and body wear. The detrimental level of oxygen in the water affects the health of the fish. In this case, the fish are at the surface of the water, and capture the air. If the problem is not solved in time, the pets will die. Unfortunately, there are a number of reasons why domestic fish can die.
The level of oxygen in an aquatic environment depends on the temperature of the water (in warm water, a low concentration of dissolved oxygen), chemical indicators, a bacterial film on the surface of the water, outbreaks of ciliates and algae. To solve the problem will help water renewal, intensive aeration. Fluctuations of the surface layer of water play a leading role in the gas exchange of a closed space.
Common causes of death of aquarium fish
- Water of inadequate quality (dirty, turbid, toxic). The likely cause of death is poisoning with nitrogenous compounds that are formed after the collapse of fish waste. Improper water purification leads to the fact that nitrites, nitrates and ammonium as toxic substances quickly spread in the water. The correct nitrogenous cycle is a guarantee of the health of all pets. But if the water is poisoned by nitrogenous compounds, it becomes turbid, the smell of rot will appear. The dissolved ammonia can be in a reservoir in high doses at a pH level of 7.5 and above. At lower pH levels, ammonium is not so toxic, but it can harm small fish. Fish die from poisoning with this substance.
- Wrong conditions of the settlement of fish, too fast adaptation. Water in a pet store and in a home tank can vary in many ways. If the fish instantly settle into the water of a different pH level, hardness, temperature, with a difference of one unit and more, then they die within 24 hours or one week. It is advisable to take water from the store aquarium in a portable package, and pour it into a separate container. It is necessary to add water from the main reservoir in portions, not more than 5% of the total volume, at intervals of 10 minutes. Fish can be transplanted into the aquarium after the part of the aquarium water in the tank becomes higher than 60-75% of the total volume.
See how to properly transplant aquarium fish.
- Gas embolism is a disease that can lead to the sudden death of a fish. On the eyes, the body can be seen capillaries, the body turns red, the fish swims from corner to corner, the body is covered with air bubbles, the scales are tousled. The disease is the result of a sharp replacement of water (more than 50%), or the settlement of the pet in the water, recruited directly from the tap.
- Illness is another reason why fish die. Often the symptoms of the disease are visible immediately by the behavior of the fish and its appearance. Diseases are the result of a weak immune system, stress, infection. Without solving problems with water, even drugs do not always eliminate the problem. Some treatments may not be suitable, and may lead to poor health. For example, salting water for medicinal purposes is impossible if the fish are poisoned by nitrates. Therefore, if you buy a new fish, leave it for a 2-4 week quarantine so that it probably does not bring the disease to the general aquarium. After quarantine, healthy fish can be launched to other fish.
What to do if you find a dead fish in the walls of the aquarium?
- Look at the number of fish in the tank. Recount them in the morning and in the hours of feeding. What is their condition, do they take good food? Are there fish that refuse food? Is bloating in one of the fish possible? If you have not found any fish, check all the corners in the aquarium by lifting the lid. Inspect the plants, caverns and all the scenery. If after a few days the dead fish did not float to the surface, it may have suffered from a neighbor in the aquarium, and you can hardly find it. Sometimes the fish fall into an unprotected filter, and die there. In any case, keep searching until you find the visible reasons for the disappearance.
- Fish that have died in an aquarium should be removed from it. Tropical species of fish quickly rot because of high water temperature. Under conditions of such an environment, bacteria multiply rapidly, water grows turbid, and an unpleasant odor appears, which can cause infection of other pets.
- It is necessary to do inspection of the dead fish. You must understand why she died in an aquarium. Wear medical gloves. If the body is not completely decomposed, look at the condition of the fins, scales, and condition of the abdominal cavity. Perhaps there are wounds on the body or signs that she has suffered from unproductive neighbors. If the stomach is strongly swollen, eyes bulging, the scales are covered with bloom or stains - it means that the pet has suffered from illness or poisoning. After inspection, gloves should be discarded.
- Check the water parameters. Water is often the main cause of poor health. Take tests with indicators, and make the necessary measurements. The increased content of ammonia and nitrates in water, heavy metals leads to the fact that pets die quickly. If the aquarium has a decorative element made of iron, zinc, copper - this is another pointer. Some fish do not tolerate metal, and suddenly die.
Watch a video on why water tests are needed and how to use them.
- After the test results, draw conclusions. The test will show two results - either you have everything in order in the aquarium, or the water is dirty and there is an overabundance of toxic substances in it. In the second case, you need to enable powerful filtering, and make a replacement of 25% of the aquarium water for clean and infused. Dramatically change the parameters of the water is not necessary, it can harm living fish.
- But if the water is in proper condition, there may be a number of other reasons why the fish died. Sometimes aquarium pets die of hunger, overeating, illness, severe stress, bruises after attacking other fish, age. If the fish die suddenly, you need to do everything necessary to keep others alive. Contact your veterinarian if you do not find obvious causes of death of the pet.
Why die fish in an aquarium?
Most of the inhabitants of the aquarium needs careful maintenance. This concerns the quality and composition of water, neighbors and vegetation. If the fish began to die in an aquarium, the necessary conditions for keeping were most likely not met. To avoid such troubles, it is worthwhile to familiarize yourself with the list, which lists the most common causes of death of fish.
Why die fish in an aquarium?
- Like all the abodes of our planet, the fish need air, they need aeration of water. Always check the cleanliness of the air and water before settling. Fish often die in the aquarium from the lack of oxygen. This happens when you have settled many inhabitants in too small an aquarium.
- But even with the observance of all the rules, sometimes the fish die immediately after settling. This is due to the fact that they have a simple shock of adaptation. That is why it is impossible to release a pet into the general aquarium right after the purchase.
- The next reason why the fish die in the aquarium is the introduction of a disease. As a rule, you will notice a gradual deterioration of the condition of the fish, and the disease will mainly spread to one species.
- Never neglect the aquarium lighting. This is especially true for lovers of variegated tropical species. Light day for such fish should last about 12 hours. With a lack of light, the pet's biological clock will break, leading to death.
- The temperature of the water is no less important than its composition. It is believed that a couple of degrees will not be able to significantly affect the state of the aquarium inhabitants. Meanwhile, the fish are very sensitive to the slightest temperature changes, so that constant fluctuations in degrees can become a serious threat.
- Fish die in the aquarium if they do not follow the recommended composition of water. When buying a new species, be sure to carefully study the water characteristics that are recommended for it. Water hardness directly affects the condition of the pet, if the water is too soft or hard, it is almost a guarantee of death.
- Quite often, problems begin with the settlement of incompatible species. This statement is true for both carnivorous and herbivorous species. And sometimes only one species of fish dies in the aquarium, while the others feel quite normal. It is likely that there have been changes in the composition of the water, which for some fish are insignificant, and for others have caused the death.
- If the fish die in the new aquarium and at the same time all the water parameters and selection rules are observed, you should pay attention to the feeding regime. Newbies often only get along with dry food and just throw a handful of pellets. After a time, the inflammation of the stomach is read in such fish from such a regime and they die en masse. In fact, your pets need a varied diet. Add vegetable and live food to the menu.
Why do fish die in an aquarium: forewarned is forearmed
To avoid such problems, it is necessary to take the content and maintenance of the aquarium seriously. Before you go in search of fish, do not be lazy to read enough literature about the features of their content. Often we try not to follow such a simple rule and simply find out the details in the pet store.
Most often the reasons why the fish die in an aquarium are associated with impaired content. Always keep on control all the parameters of the water in the aquarium, track any changes in the behavior and condition of pets. These simple rules will allow you to notice the beginning of the problem in time and solve it in a short time. Fish can not tell you, but in her behavior you will always notice something was wrong.
Why die, die aquarium fish?
Aquarium fish ... What kinds of them just do not happen - big and small, peaceful and not very, schooling and lonely: everyone can find for himself what he needs.
Most of them do not need special care, so they have become quite common favorites, but despite this, before getting these beauties, you should know some rules, without which they just die in the very first hours of their stay in your house.
Fishes necessarily need air — more precisely, water aeration; without oxygen, they, like any living creature, will die. Before running the fish in the aquarium, you need to make sure that it is clean, not leaking, and the materials used in it do not emit harmful substances.
It is advisable to pour boiling water over the aquarium; The same must be done with everything that will be inside - sand, stones, scenery - and be sure to defend the water for at least 24 hours.
So, everything you need is respected. But after a few days, and maybe immediately the fish began to die. What is the reason - why die aquarium fish? Let's see! The first reason is the wrong adaptation of the fish.
After the purchase it is impossible to simply release it into the aquarium, this can lead to an animal to shock and, as a result, to death.
The second reason may be the lack of oxygen: it is often found if the aquarium is small and there are many fish or they are large - therefore, keep proportions! The third reason may be a disease - it could be either before the purchase, or it could start after, due to a change in the "climate" situation, due to a decrease in immunity. The fourth reason can be poisoning, most often - nitrogen compounds, that is, the decay products of the life of the fish, so the cleanliness of the aquarium should be given special attention. The fifth reason is tap water. Perhaps the human body is not particularly sensitive to the hardness of the water and the content of chlorine in it, but for fish it can be deadly!
The sixth reason can and not be noticed, and why aquarium fish die, immediately fail to understand: it does not always appear immediately. We are talking about the aggression of neighboring fish, and to prevent it you need to know the compatible types of fish.
Here are the main reasons most often found in newbies. There are, of course, such as overfeeding, insufficient sanctification, but they, as a rule, are rarely found. Watch the state of the aquarium, water and fish, and your fish will bring you not only joy, but, perhaps, addition. Good luck!
Is it necessary to change the water if one of the fish died :: how to change the water in the aquarium :: Aquarium fish
Tip 1: Do I need to change the water if one of the fish died
Often, inexperienced aquarium owners rush to replace all the water in a tank if one fish dies, as they fear the contamination of the aquarium. So is it really necessary to completely change the aquarium water, or are there other rules for dealing with an aquarium in which one of its inhabitants died?
The question "opened a pet shop. Business is not going. What to do?" - 2 answers
Change or not change
If only one fish dies in the aquarium and the water looks clean, it is not necessary to change it, because after changing the water, it will be necessary to wait for the restoration of the ecosystem and biological balance. Поэтому достаточно просто долить свежей воды, обновив старую. Если рыбка умерла от инфекционного заболевания или пролежала в аквариуме несколько дней, воду следует заменить, вымыв при этом аквариум.
При доливании свежей воды в аквариуме должно оставаться не менее одной трети старой воды - при этом свежая вода должна иметь аналогичные показатели жесткости и температуры.
If you still need to clean the aquarium, you need to remove all live fish and plants from it, wash, disinfect and dry. After that, new water is poured into the tank. In the first few days a short-term bacterial outbreak with water clouding can be observed in the aquarium - no need to worry, it will pass by itself. After that, as the water becomes transparent again, plants can be returned to the aquarium, and it is advisable to launch the fish in about a week. Replacing water is often the most effective way to get rid of bacteria, but for fish it is a lot of stress, so you should not abuse it.
How to change the water
An electric or vacuum pump is great for changing the water in an aquarium. A siphon will also do well with this task, with the help of which the walls and bottom of the aquarium are easily cleaned of food and residue residue. To prevent the water from turning green, the aquarium should be placed away from sunlight and turned off artificial light at night. In addition, it is necessary to periodically remove excess plants from it and feed the fish less so that the water is not contaminated by the remnants of food.
Somiki-antsitrus, which slide along the aquarium walls and eat plaque on them, will also help to clear the water.
Partial change of water in the aquarium should be done every week, changing it to 1/5 of fresh water. In order for the water to always be clear and transparent, you should launch mollusks and daphnids into the aquarium. Many owners of aquariums are trying to clean glass containers with snails, but they are not very effective in doing this and besides they are spoiling quite a lot. Water problems are usually characteristic of "young" aquariums - later their own ecosystem arises in them, the situation normalizes independently. The main thing - to follow the rules for the care of the aquarium.
Tip 2: How to change the water in a small aquarium
Mini-aquariums - an attractive interior decoration. But unlike large tanks, equipped with all necessary equipment, there are some problems with care. If you follow the basic rules, including the replacement of water, you can avoid the flowering of the aquarium and create fairly tolerable conditions for the fish.
You will need
- - soft distilled water;
- - net capacity;
- - bucket;
- - scraper.
1. It is believed that a small aquarium is easier to clean than a large one. However, this is the first misconception of inexperienced aquarists. It requires more frequent replacement of water, because the products of decomposition of fish waste are accumulated here most of all. In addition, intensive plant growth can cause a lot of trouble.
2. The water in a small aquarium should not be completely changed. It is enough to replace up to 1/5 of the total volume. This should be done quite often - once every 3-4 days.
3. Replacement water should only be soft, room temperature, so you should have a constant supply. Only tap water from clean dishes that should be used only for this purpose. To defend the liquid must be at least three days.
4. Replacing water in a small aquarium is not difficult. Calculate the required quantity for replacement. For example, in an aquarium with a capacity of 10 liters, it is necessary to change 2 liters (1/5 of the total volume).
5. Scoop out the required amount of water with a special scoop with a long handle. Scrub the walls of the aquarium and add fresh soft water. Then collect water in a clean dish and leave it to stand until the next procedure.
6. The water in the mini-tanks evaporates very quickly. Check its level regularly and top up if necessary.
7. Fully change the water in the aquarium should be as rare as possible, because it violates the biological equilibrium. However, this must be done once a year to transplant plants and clean the walls of the aquarium and filter.
8. To replace the water completely, remove the fish and place them in a jar for a while. Drain fluid with a hose. Remove excess algae. Clean the rocks and walls of the aquarium.
9. Then pour the settled water. Add bacteria and let the aquarium stand for a couple of days, then run the fish into it.
For dwelling in a small space, choose guppies, gourami and tetra. These fish feel pretty good in mini-aquariums. Also in the pond you can settle a cockerel, neons look beautiful. If the fish have grown to a rather large size, they need to be deposited in a larger tank.
Very impressive look and feel good in a small aquarium, not only fish, but also other marine and freshwater inhabitants, such as shrimp.
Why aquarium fish blacken :: aquarium fish die :: Care and nurture
Why aquarium fish turn black
Diseases of aquarium fish - a very common phenomenon. Aquatic inhabitants often die due to improper care. Less commonly, hereditary diseases may occur, which in most cases are incurable. Aquarium fish turn black, not only because of infections, but also because of poor water quality.
The question "HOW baby to retrain to go to the tray (she is 4 months)?" - 3 answers
Cold in fish
It may sound strange, but aquarium fish are also prone to colds. This happens, as a rule, because of too low water temperature. The first signs of a cold are folded fins and black spots on the gills.
The only method of treatment in this case is to provide the desired temperature, which must be at least 23 ° C. Please note that dramatically change the water is not recommended. The temperature should be raised only gradually. In some cases, the fish turn black due to genetic predisposition. If the behavior does not change, the appetite does not disappear, and the fish is active and mobile, then there is no cause for concern.
Branchiomycosis in fish
Branchiomycosis is a very dangerous disease for aquarium fish. A water inhabitant can die in just a few days. The main symptoms of such an infection are black bands along the body and in the head area. The fish at the same time becomes very slow and swims up the tail. Outwardly, it seems that her body alter the head.
Sick fish must be transplanted from their neighbors. Branchiomycosis is a contagious disease that can kill all the inhabitants of an aquarium in a short time. The best method of treatment is copper sulfate solution, which is added to the water with minimal dosages. If the fish overeat regularly, then the result may be their blackening. The main sign of overfeeding is considered sluggish behavior of aquatic inhabitants and swollen tummies.
The most common cause of black spots on aquarium fish is a disease called fin rot. The darkening of the body of the fish begins from the tips of the fins and the tail.
The causes of fin rot are many. The most common of these are inadequate housing conditions, too many fish in the aquarium, rare cleaning of the aquarium, severe water pollution.
To prevent fin rot, you should regularly monitor the condition of the aquarium. In no case should feed residues accumulate on the bottom. Otherwise, the water will become uninhabitable and will have a devastating effect on the fish.
Other causes of blackening fish
In rare cases, the cause of the blackening of the fish may be the larva of the cuticle. Infection is possible only if you, for example, have planted a representative of the river habitat to the aquarium fish.
Please note that some fish black spots appear gradually, but it is not a disease. A striking example can be called the Sword. Young fish have a lighter color. Gradually, the body turns black and multicolored dots appear.
Why did a golden fish die?
You are joking?? ? Half a year is too much for her !! ! And it was necessary to clean it immediately from the aquarium. Now probably decomposed and infected all the fish !!!! What did you think then when she was dying ???? A comet is the simplest and most unpretentious species of small-sized goldfish with a long, ribbon-like (often forked) tail that exceeds body length. The longer the tail fins, the higher the estimated instance.
Comets with a swollen body, like a voiletail, are considered to be a marriage (according to some experts, this is a different breed). The developed dorsal fin and slightly elongated other fins give the fish a great harmony.
The color of the comet may vary, but those individuals whose body color is different from the color of the fins are of particular value. In China, silver fish with a bright red or lemon yellow tail were considered to be particularly beautiful, 3-4 times longer than their body length.
Despite the fact that comets grow well and mature in almost any environment, it is difficult to work with them. These strong, restless fish often jump out of aquariums. Females give relatively little calf. Together with goldfish are suitable for keeping in the garden pond.
Overfed, the air still needs to be served. Eat a lot - breathe hard. It rummages and dirt does. The filter is necessary with foam rubber and a pump (a small motor inside). This fish eats as much as it is and is always small, little pig.
ONE goldfish need an aquarium of 50 liters, a pair of 100 liters. This is without any guppies there.
It is not good to feed gold, but qualitatively and little by little, once a day. If you feed "good" - it means a lot, then gold is also dead from gluttony.
Why do somiki cleaners die? is the fourth? The rest of the fish live, and catfish die !!!!
If you mean antsistrusov, then in juvenile age
(size less than 3 cm.) They are overly vulnerable.
They can be killed by adult cichlids (it is a pity that they did not indicate a specific
the composition of your aquarium.
They need a weekly change of 1/10 of the water.
Most often, these timid creatures simply starve.
and die of exhaustion.
Try DAILY for 30min. put a piece in the aquarium
fresh loaf (then be sure to remove the leftovers).
Or daily catch and feed them in another container.
The main thing is that their food happens before your eyes.
It does not help, write again, clarifying the question.
Antsistrusy often die from hunger (with a lack of appropriate algal fouling). Buy tablets for catfish containing alga Spirulina. You can also feed antsistrus scalded with boiling water of lettuce leaves or cucumber slices. Also, all mail catfish are very sensitive to table salt.
Do not disregard the condition of the catfish themselves, their health. Newly bought fish is risky to put in the aquarium with the rest of the fish, you need a quarantine. Try to buy and plant in a separate aquarium and watch them ... In the same place you will see if they eat?