Filter for aquarium do it yourself :: DIY aquarium filters :: Household :: Other
Tip 1: Filter for aquarium do it yourself
Any aquarium needs filtering. Tiny particles of dirt, waste products of inhabitants, other organic matter tends to gradually decompose, releasing ammonia harmful to fish. In order to avoid their poisoning, it is necessary to activate the processes that convert harmful substances into nitrates.
The question "How can you properly breed geese?" - 1 answer
Biofiltration aquarium - the conversion of ammonia to nitrite, and then into nitrates. This process takes place with the participation of beneficial bacteria in the aquarium and depends on the absorption of oxygen. It is necessary to maintain a continuous stream of water enriched with oxygen in the aquarium, which is achieved using a filter.
You can purchase a filter for an aquarium at the store, but if the price seems excessive, it can also be made at home. The effectiveness of the work will depend on how attentive you are to its production.
How to make a filter for the aquarium yourself
To make a homemade biofilter for an aquarium, you need a bottle from under a half-liter carbonated water, a plastic tube of the same diameter as the inner diameter of the bottle neck, a piece of padding polyester, small pebbles with a fraction of no more than five millimeters, and a compressor with a hose.
The bottle should be carefully cut into two parts. One of them must be larger than the other to make a small bowl with a neck and a large bottom. The cup is directed with the neck upwards and with an effort is pushed into the bottom so that it sits tightly there. On the outer circumference of the bowl you need to make a few holes through which water will flow into the filter. It is better to make holes with a diameter of 3-4 mm, arrange them in two rows, 4-6 holes in one row. Insert the tube into the neck of the bowl so that it came in with a little effort. There should be no gaps between the pipe and the neck. The tube length should be chosen in such a way that it protrudes slightly above the structure. At the same time, it should not rest against the bottom of the bottle so that the water would enter it freely.
Pour gravel over the bowl with a six-centimeter layer and cover it with a padding pad. Insert the aerator hose into the tube, fix. When the whole structure is placed in the aquarium, turn on the compressor to start the filter. Beneficial bacteria will appear in the working filter, due to which ammonia in the aquarium will decompose into nitrates.
The principle of the homemade filter
The design of the homemade filter is based on airlift. From the compressor air bubbles are fed into the tube, and from there they go upwards and at the same time draw water streams out of the filter. Fresh water enriched with oxygen enters the upper part of the glass and passes through a layer of gravel. Then it goes through the holes made in the bowl, goes down and flows down the tube to the aquarium. The synthetic winterizer plays the role of a mechanical filter in the design - it is necessary to prevent silting of the gravel there.
Tip 2: How to make an external filter for the aquarium
External filter for aquarium makes chemical and mechanical water purification. Typically, this type filters installed on aquariums with a volume of 200 liters. Very large aquariums may require several filterov These devices belong to a high price category, so you can try to make such filter do it yourself
1. Pick for enclosure filterand a cylindrical piece of plastic. For these purposes, a piece of plastic sewer pipe is suitable. The length of the pipe fragment must be at least half a meter. The hull will require plastic parts that play the role of cover and bottom. Make a hole in the bottom of the case. Screw the fitting into this hole. You can buy it ready or take it from another device, for example, from the sensor from the heating boiler of the bus. Then you will need FUM tape to seal the thread. Wind it onto the threads of the fitting. Lock the fitting with the enclosed nut inside the housing. filterbut.
2. Cut a circle out of plastic. Using a drill or a knife, make a lot of medium-sized holes in it. Put a circle on the bottom filterbut. Thanks to him, the bottom hole filterand will not be very clogged.
3. Getting Started filterOur filler. Put a round piece of foam rubber on top of the plastic circle. On top of the foam rubber, pour in a special filler for filterWater rations, which can be bought at a pet store. It is made of ceramic material. Repeat layers again. First foam and then ceramic biofilter.
4. Over filterlayers installed electric pump. It will create the movement of water from the bottom up. For a wire with a switch that goes from the pump, make a hole in the plastic case. Insulate the hole sealant.
5. Prepare two tubes. They may be plastic. With the help of them will be the flow of water in filter and its output back to the aquarium. Connect one tube to the bottom outlet. To the bottom of the tube you need to connect a special faucet that will remove air from the external filterbut. Connect another tube to the top cover. filterand to the fitting. Immerse the tubes in the aquarium. Now you can turn on the finished external filter and check it out in action.
Filter for aquarium do it yourself. How to build a filter for the aquarium: schemes, tips
Before you get the fish, you need to take care of the presence of not only the suitable aquarium, soil, vegetation, some kind of decorative elements, but also a filter. You should understand that this is not only a water purifier, but also an item that is essential for the vital activity of your home aquatic inhabitants. And if you do not have the opportunity to purchase one or another model in the store, you can consider how to make a filter for the aquarium with your own hands.
Importance of aquarium filter
No matter how clean the water in the aquarium you do not fill, it will eventually become dirty. This is due to the appearance of dead algae particles, waste and other small debris in it. In order to get rid of all this and maintain cleanliness in the aquatic environment, it is necessary to install a water filter in the aquarium.
This mechanism has the following functions:
- purifies water from inorganic particles;
- removes all sorts of solutes from water (for example, tablets or other drugs after treating aquarium inhabitants);
- fills water with oxygen, without which no fish can survive;
- creates water circulation.
Undoubtedly, no fish or other aquatic animals can be launched into any aquarium without a pre-installed filter. But, considering all of the above, it’s still worth remembering, but if you know how to install a filter in an aquarium and have already decided which model to buy, it will not create natural running water for you anyway. After all, each filter pumps the same fluid.
What is the difference between filters?
Before you install the filter in the aquarium, you need to decide on its appearance, installation location and functionality. Indeed, in every specialized store you will encounter a large selection of these devices. All of them differ in design features and applications.
Some do not want to face such a choice and prefer to make a filter for the aquarium with their own hands, simply by examining all the features of the purchased structures and finding out which model is suitable for a particular situation.
Types of Aquarium Filters
According to the principle of operation, modern aquarium filters of the following types are distinguished:
- Mechanical able to clean the water in the aquarium from the turbidity and floating particles that were raised from the bottom by the movement of fish and compressor. Without installing such a device is not enough. After all, the dirt in the aquarium gradually accumulates and, as a result, decomposes, making the water turbid. Such a filter should be washed as it is contaminated. The first sign of clogging will be a reduced flow of water through this device.
- Chemical filters to a greater degree purify aquarium water from organic matter. They remove phosphates and nitrates. For excellent results, these filters must be periodically changed.
- Absorption-chemical filters contribute to the purification of water from the waste of fish and other "animals" of the aquarium. As a rule, such a device includes a constantly circulating pump, a special sponge and a substrate (usually gravel) located directly next to it. It can be installed both inside and outside the aquarium. It should be noted that the main component of each biological filter are nitrifying bacteria, whose vital activity must be maintained without fail. This means that such an external filter for the aquarium should be washed only under running water. And in no case can it be dried.
Types of filters depending on their location
Each filter for an aquarium, photos of which demonstrate not only their appearance, but also the methods of attachment, can be installed in different ways. According to this, according to their location, the following types of these devices are distinguished:
- The bottom filter for the aquarium is located almost at the bottom of the tank. It has a large number of holes from which air is supplied. Such filters help to clear water from small contaminations. Manufacturers recommend to install them immediately before the settlement of fish. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to place and fix this type of filter in the aquarium.
- The internal filter is installed inside the aquarium (hence its name). As a rule, it consists of a sponge or activated carbon and a pumping device. Such filters clog very quickly. This must be constantly monitored, as the throughput of such a device decreases.
- External filters for aquarium is very similar to internal ones. The only difference is the location.
How to make a filter for the aquarium yourself?
A good filtering device will never be cheap. What to do? How to save? In this case, we advise you to make the simplest filter for the aquarium with your own hands. To make it you will need: a sponge (you choose its size depending on the capacity of the aquarium), a nebulizer, a suction cup, a rubber tube, two 20 ml syringes, a small compressor.
Take one syringe. In one part of it, in which the medicine should be taken, make holes with a heated awl. You need to connect the second syringe with the first one. This can be done with spikes. To do this, hold the widest ends on the hot plate for a bit, quickly connect them and hold for 5-7 seconds. Cut from both ends the part into which the needle should be inserted. You should have a long plastic pipe.
Take a sponge, make in one of its sides not a wide, but deep incision, insert into it a part of a syringe with holes. Get into the resulting "tube" rubber tube, connect it to the compressor. Attach a suction cup to one side of the syringe. It will be attached to your filter to the wall of the aquarium.
Is it possible to make a run for the filter aquarium?
No filter can fully clean the water in the aquarium without a pump. The simplest such device can also be made by hand. To do this, you must have at hand: the nozzle, fitting, pump core and tee.
The nozzle can be replaced with a simple pipe. It must be in one of the holes of the tee. After that, take the valve with a thread, screw the fitting on it, and pull the hose from above. On the opposite side, you need to carefully attach a small hose, which will later serve to drain the water. A siphon is put on the end of this hose. It will help protect the pump itself from falling into the ground, which can cause serious damage to the device.
How to install a filter in an aquarium?
So, you bought or made a filter for the aquarium with your own hands. Now what? How to install it? What rules should be followed?
First of all, everyone should understand that in no case should a filter be installed in an empty aquarium. The container should be at least half filled with water. It is also worth noting that before you assemble the filter for the aquarium, all the details of this device must be carefully dried. And only after that, proceed to install it. The filter is usually attached to the wall with suction cups at a distance of 3 cm from the surface and in such a way that it does not touch the bottom. First, it must be submerged in the water off.
The tube that takes in air must be brought out. It is very convenient if a fastening is provided for this tube. In a fixed state, it will not move and fall into the water.
If you understand how to install the filter in the aquarium, and did it correctly, then only now it can be plugged into an outlet. If the filter began to circulate and saturate the water with oxygen, then you should have no doubt that you did something wrong.
How to clean the filter yourself?
In order to clean the aquarium filter, you must first disconnect it from the network. Outside the device is washed from mucus and dirt, carefully "stretch" the sponge in running water. If you have a chemical filter, its filler must be replaced without fail. In the case of acquiring a biological filter, it is worth remembering that it will be more convenient to have several of these devices at once. This makes it easy to clean each of them in turn.
And finally ...
It is mandatory to monitor the operation of your filtering system. She should always work at full strength. If, for example, the bottom filter for an aquarium does not work at full strength, then this is the first sign that this device needs to be washed and cleaned.
Remember! Improving the care of the aquarium filter comes only with time. In this case, you only need attention and care to your pets.