We make a cover for the aquarium with backlight
The cover for the aquarium can be bought in specialized stores, but it may not be suitable for your tank in terms of quality or size. There are many inconveniences that you have to face after installing the factory cap. Among them:
- Factory models of covers are not always suitable for a non-standard size aquarium.
- The factory covers use 2 electric lamps, but they are not enough to create the perfect lighting.
- Cleaning the tank will be inconvenient, since such a mechanism is disassembled in parts. It is also inconvenient when replacing water.
- The aquarium cover may be close to the surface of the water, which will cause the formation of strong condensate. Low landing mount will affect the temperature of the water, raising it by 5 degrees or more.
- The intake mechanism of water for the filter is inconvenient to install because of the narrow compartments for wires and tubes.
- There is no ventilation system.
Making aquarium cover
It is best to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. First you need to decide on the material. The most affordable and best option is foamed polyvinyl chloride (PVC). It is inexpensive, not heavy, tough and has waterproof properties. The material is easily cut with a stationery knife, which will allow you to build the desired structure. In addition to polyvinyl chloride, you will need such tools and materials:
- Stationery knife for cutting PVC.
- Aquarium glue for plastic. It is not recommended to use PVA glue and super glue, which emit toxic substances. If there is no possibility to buy such glue, then the finished product will have to be aired longer.
- Silicone sealant and gun.
- Rubber gloves, simple pencil, ruler (30 cm).
- Corners made of plastic 4 pieces.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper or acrylic paint.
After all the parts are assembled, you can begin the work on making the cover for the aquarium with your own hands. The aquarium cover should be capacious, and should contain integrated lighting and an external filtration system. The height of the bonded design is selected with the ability to hide all the details in it. Other lid parameters, such as width and length, should fit the tank size and allow some air out of the gap.
Make all measurements using a ruler and a pencil. Leave the markings on the PVC sheet. Take a stationery knife, and cut the necessary details. The material is easily cut, does not crumble, does not break off. Next, glue the sides to the base of the cover. This should be done in a room where the windows are open and there is access to fresh air. As a result, you get a box with equal edges.
See how to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. Part 1.
Having retreated three centimeters from the top edge of the cover, glue one plastic corner in all the inner corners. It will serve as a support for the upper cover body. You can create a few more edges from the same plastic. Due to the stiffness of the material, the support will stay stronger.
Turn the cover over so that the base is at the bottom and place it on a newspaper or paper. Take the sealant with silicone, and glue all the places of the seams. When the adhesive layer dries, you can proceed to the next step.
With a stationery knife, one or two cuts should be made for the necessary hoses and wires; cut out the feed door to the fish. You can also cut a hole to replace the water, soil siphon (so that the hand, the hose, the carrying net are pushed into it). Size of each hole, choose any - the main thing is that in the future the aquarium is easy to maintain. As a cover for each hatch, you can use PVC, which remained.
In size it should correspond to the parameters of the hole, and 2-4 cm of its side should be larger. Then the cover for the hatch will fall comfortably and will protrude slightly. Inside, the product can be pasted over with self-adhesive wallpaper, foil, and externally, the lid can be painted with acrylic paint, or not painted at all. Now the design can be considered finished.
See how to make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands. Part 2.
The next step - making lights for the aquarium do it yourself. It is also easy to make, but you need to comply with all safety measures - wearing rubber gloves, avoiding contact with water. Into the aquarium cover should be built-in appliances for lighting - lamps. You must first buy two LED, two energy-saving lamps and cartridges for each of them. This amount of light is suitable for lighting a 150 liter tank.
Connect the wires from the lamps to each other, and insulate them. It is better to glue a piece of plastic material to the cartridge of energy-saving lamps so that the lamps do not touch the base of the aquarium cover. It is important to remember that lighting devices and wires should not reach the surface of the water. Carefully measure all the details so that you get a solid and durable design. The stiffeners are necessary to ensure that the lid on them lies at the correct height to the aquarium.
Do not forget that at each stage of work all surfaces must be degreased, and then glued. To avoid the ingress of toxic substances into the water, the cover should be left for ventilation. Day or two on the balcony - and it will be ready for use. After that, you can install it on the aquarium, and check the performance. If you did everything right with your own hands, the construction will be solid and reliable for a long time.
DIY Aquarium Cover
Aquarian cover - a necessary attribute of any full-fledged aquarium. It isolates the aquarium from the ingestion of foreign objects and contributes to the creation of a microclimate. Lamps that provide lighting are attached to the cover, and it is very convenient to fill in fish feed through the hole.
However, aquarists face problems when choosing a cover. Factory products are produced in standard sizes, which sometimes do not coincide with the size of the aquarium. In addition, manufacturers place in the covers no more than 2 lamps, which in the end is not enough for full lighting. If your aquarium has a non-standard size or you do not trust the conveyor production, then a homemade cover for the aquarium will help you out. Its production will take a little time and will require certain skills, but the result will be worth the effort.
How to make a cover for the aquarium?
Before you make a cover for the aquarium with your own hands, you need to stock up on materials:
- plastic 5 mm thick;
- assembly knife;
- glue for plastic;
- 4 furniture corners;
- screwdriver / drill for screwing;
- acrylic paint;
- ruler and pencil markup.
After purchasing these materials you can get to work.
- Cut the sheets and cut into necessary pieces with a knife (4 side walls, part of the cover). Plastic is well cut and does not crumble.
- After cutting the plastic, you can proceed to gluing the lid. Attach the side walls to the base of the cover. You need to glue in a circle. Use cyanoacrylate adhesive as a sealer. Remember that the glue dries instantly, so you need to apply it very carefully.
- As a result, you will receive such a box.
- Back away from the edge of 3 cm and glue the plastic corners. Their main function is to prevent the lid from falling into the aquarium and fix it in a certain position.
- On a level with plastic corners, glue another piece of plastic to make the cover more stable.
- If there is excess material, you can make patches of it. They will make the cover more durable and prevent premature wear. At this stage, you can attach the electronic ballast (electronic ballast), which is needed for the lamp.
- Cut out the hatch for falling asleep feed. It is better to place it away from the cover glass.
- Cut openings for external filter tube.
- Paint the outside of the cover with acrylic paint. Glue the inside with food foil.
Cover for the aquarium do it yourself.
How to make an aquarium with a lid and lights?
You can leave the lid in the original condition, or you can embed the lamp. Illumination will ensure the normal course of biological processes and turn the aquarium into a bright spot in your apartment. For the manufacture of lighting will need to purchase:
- 4 electronic ballasts for 18 volts;
- 10 m white wire (cross section 0.5);
- 3 m of red wire (cross section 0.75);
- 8 lamp holders;
- cartridges for fluorescent lamps;
- Clem, plug for euro socket.
After purchasing all the attributes, you can start mounting the backlight.
- Cut a hole for the switch at the top of the structure. Place the hole for the wire in the back wall.
- Lamps are connected very simply: one electronic ballast connects to one lamp. Lamps fasten to bolted holders.
- Lamps can be placed in parallel, but you can be creative and position them at an angle.
- As a result, the cap will look like this.
As a result, you get a cover that fits perfectly to the size of the aquarium. Experts advise to experiment with the independent manufacture of rectangular and square caps. The cover for a round aquarium is problematic in manufacturing, as it requires precise calculations and special bending structures. It is better to buy complete with an aquarium.